Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 23-06-2020, 09:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher View Post
ARO first. Your ARO should be calling for a cascade briefing soon. You should receive either email or whatsapp notification. You can inform him/her then. But most probably they will still ask you to write in to ELD
Thanks for your reply! It's so last min that I received my notice. Just emailed them too, thank you!

Old 02-07-2020, 10:34 PM
Unregistered

Hello, in my recent work review, my RO told me that he is grooming me for LH position. Given that I need a min. of GEO4 to go for interview, does this usually mean that my promotion to that rank will be accelerated. E.g., instead of 3-4 years, it will take 2-3 years?

From what I can tell, he is quite overworked and is looking for a deputy to assist. For context, I was just promoted to GEO3 this year. Anyone who was in a similar position? Thank you!

Old 03-07-2020, 01:19 PM
Unregistered

Hi. I am a NTU graduate and is currently working in an established company for around 8 years. I am considering to do a job change to teaching. I had also given private tuition for 8 years previously, which I had ceased 4 years ago due to work demand. My question is:
1) If I successfully passed the interview and start on a contract teaching scheme, what is the salary figure that I will be expecting?
2) What GEO rank might I be offered given my work and tuition experience?
Thanks.

Old 03-07-2020, 10:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello, in my recent work review, my RO told me that he is grooming me for LH position. Given that I need a min. of GEO4 to go for interview, does this usually mean that my promotion to that rank will be accelerated. E.g., instead of 3-4 years, it will take 2-3 years?

From what I can tell, he is quite overworked and is looking for a deputy to assist. For context, I was just promoted to GEO3 this year. Anyone who was in a similar position? Thank you!
Short answer: no. Assuming your CEP was already at that of LH before he said he’s grooming you, the rate of promotion from 3 to 4 would be the same as before. However, if your CEP was only just raised in the last ranking cycle, then yes, the rate of promotion would have increased.

Your promotion from GEO3 to 4 is still very much dependent on your performance and CEP. I’ve heard of people who were promoted from 3 to 4 in consecutive years. But that’s because they obtained a B in the year they were promoted to 3, and we suspect they have high CEP.

If you’re doing the work of an LH this year while in GEO3, there’s a chance you’d be graded B this year. If that’s the case, coupled with higher CEP, then it’s possible you’d be promoted to 4 sooner.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:42 AM

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Short answer: no. Assuming your CEP was already at that of LH before he said he’s grooming you, the rate of promotion from 3 to 4 would be the same as before. However, if your CEP was only just raised in the last ranking cycle, then yes, the rate of promotion would have increased.

Your promotion from GEO3 to 4 is still very much dependent on your performance and CEP. I’ve heard of people who were promoted from 3 to 4 in consecutive years. But that’s because they obtained a B in the year they were promoted to 3, and we suspect they have high CEP.

If you’re doing the work of an LH this year while in GEO3, there’s a chance you’d be graded B this year. If that’s the case, coupled with higher CEP, then it’s possible you’d be promoted to 4 sooner.
Yup. This is correct. Also, should your RO be overworked, the school may get you to do some LH work as an internal appointment, however, the likelihood of another LH from another school coming in through open/close posting is higher as they would have already had the CEP, GEO grade and experience. Given that you just got promoted to GEO3 as well, the chances of you taking the position within the next few years is quite low. Usually someone would need to be in GEO4 for 1 year at least (fastest I have seen) to be appointed LH officially (not counting internal appointments).

From what I see, the fact that your RO told you this means that he/she feels you are suited for leadership track. So just continue to work your way and be yourself. Once the promotion comes, even if the position opportunity doesn't, there will still be many opportunities elsewhere.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:49 AM

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi. I am a NTU graduate and is currently working in an established company for around 8 years. I am considering to do a job change to teaching. I had also given private tuition for 8 years previously, which I had ceased 4 years ago due to work demand. My question is:
1) If I successfully passed the interview and start on a contract teaching scheme, what is the salary figure that I will be expecting?
2) What GEO rank might I be offered given my work and tuition experience?
Thanks.
Tuition experience will not affect the GEO rank and salary that will be offered to you. The mid career switch will purely be based on your last job experience and educational qualification.

A bit hard to determine the salary as there are really quite a number of factors (some are unknown to us). But for comparison, I know of some mid-career switches, females, between 5 - 10 years, offered between 3 - 4+k, starting on GEO 3 - 4, again depending on factors unknown. Hope this will be of some reference to you. My suggestion is to just wait for their offer and you can then do your assessment

Old 04-07-2020, 10:37 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Hello. OP here. I assume my CEP is unchanged at the default GEO5 since I've only served one year in the service (1 year in GEO2 before being promoted to GEO3 this April with a performance grade of C+).

At the moment, I'm don't think I'm really doing the work of an LH, but I've been given a lot of additional responsibilities in the committees helmed by my RO (e.g., 2IC, main IC of subcommittees that I see are often given to more experienced veterans).

Thanks for sharing guys. Will continue to work hard and learn more for sure, but it would be nice to have something to lookaim towards as well.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:45 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hello. OP here. I assume my CEP is unchanged at the default GEO5 since I've only served one year in the service (1 year in GEO2 before being promoted to GEO3 this April with a performance grade of C+).

At the moment, I'm don't think I'm really doing the work of an LH, but I've been given a lot of additional responsibilities in the committees helmed by my RO (e.g., 2IC, main IC of subcommittees that I see are often given to more experienced veterans).

Thanks for sharing guys. Will continue to work hard and learn more for sure, but it would be nice to have something to lookaim towards as well.
Is your RO a LH or HOD? They do need justification to raise your CEP to SEO1, so the responsibilities given to you this year can help them justify this.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Is your RO a LH or HOD? They do need justification to raise your CEP to SEO1, so the responsibilities given to you this year can help them justify this.
He's the HOD.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:52 AM
Unregistered

don't join MOE, it's a trap. just go straight to tuition. got my condo at 30 fully paid hehe. you get both passion and money