Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 12-05-2020 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133811)
anyone knows if it is possible to change subjects taught?

Anyone has experience or heard of any successful cases and how they managed to do it?

Yes possible, but the only successful cases I know were by invitation (niche subjects, lack of teachers).

Unregistered 13-05-2020 03:05 PM

How long does it take for MOE/NIE to offer? I applied in August 2019 and went for all the interviews and medical from Sep-Feb but no news. The pre-NIE teaching experience is supposed to be in June 2020. Is there a delay due to COVID?

Unregistered 13-05-2020 03:26 PM

i have been rejected by MOE.

Unregistered 13-05-2020 03:29 PM

i don't even know why I am trying, it is sad to hear about applicants who see teaching as a backup got in but those who are passionate about it does not

Unregistered 13-05-2020 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133986)
How long does it take for MOE/NIE to offer? I applied in August 2019 and went for all the interviews and medical from Sep-Feb but no news. The pre-NIE teaching experience is supposed to be in June 2020. Is there a delay due to COVID?

only confirmed to do contract teaching when asked to go moe sign

Unregistered 13-05-2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133999)
i don't even know why I am trying, it is sad to hear about applicants who see teaching as a backup got in but those who are passionate about it does not

same. tried for a few years and decided to give up

Unregistered 14-05-2020 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133999)

Just because teaching is a 2nd or 3rd career choice doesn't mean that person will definitely be a lousy teacher with no passion. Sometimes that's the case, but other times the person will grow into the role and become just as good.

It only means that they did well enough in their studies and/or in their past career(s), they have a strong portfolio and CV, which gives them a buffet of opportunities, and the bargaining power to choose their next steps. That's just a fact of life.

Unregistered 14-05-2020 12:05 PM

how do i pass the class control part of the interview if i'm introverted by nature and lack aggression?

Unregistered 14-05-2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134087)
how do i pass the class control part of the interview if i'm introverted by nature and lack aggression?

Honestly, i would think just be confident abt yourself and it’s important to be like you know what you are doing and are in control of the situation at all times. I don’t think there is any right answer for this since the panel may not always be the same people. Ultimately, the interviewers are just giving you a teaser of what may to come when you sign up for teaching. If you are not able to control 3 or 4 of them, i don’t think u are ready to take care of 30-40 of real students. Just my opinion.

Unregistered 14-05-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134087)

During interview probably only facing 3-4 interviewers who act as students, this part only lasts about 5 min. You may want to consider tuition centres because they have smaller class size