Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 05-04-2020, 07:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hi all, would like to see advice on the mandatory hq posting. Could fellow colleagues with experience in the above advise on how such officers are selected? I have seen cases where teachers (there are local scholars and some others are not scholars at all) who get called for such in their 4th or 5th year, after getting mostly C+ and B grades, but people who get C+, B, and A grades, some holding SH positions already, still remaining in school after 6-7 years. Is there any selection criteria for such postings, above just ranking grades? thanks!
Some are under FLP or have done well in school/practicum even. Usually an invitation to a tea session before that. Going to HQ might not be the most glamorous thing that can happen to one. I have never been to HQ and I would think that I am doing pretty well, even faster than peers who went for compulsory stint.

I have also seen a no of people from HQ but stuck at HOD level.

Old 05-04-2020, 07:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Stay till you hit the ceiling
Not true. You can hit ceiling and still stay there aka no increment.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 05-04-2020, 07:27 PM
UnregisteredOP

Default thanks!

OP here, thanks for advice. i sometimes feel like i'm going nowhere in the job, even though i love being w students in the classroom.

appreciate any other perspectives pls, thanks!

Quote:
My perspective as a HOD (and former HQ officer):

The fact that you're doing a mandatory posting in HQ is a good sign already. Entry level EO roles at HQ are generally SEO1 'estab', so it's equivalent to doing SH/LH role in school. If you manage another B (or C+), think GEO5 would probably come soon enough.

That said, keep in mind that ranking at HQ tends to be more competitive (you are compared against other high-performing officers) and it would be harder to get B. Still, if your bosses value your work, your CEP might possibly go up another notch. You'll likely need to head some project teams while at HQ for this to happen, though.

If you stay on with MOE, after your HQ stint you are likely to be able to secure a SH/LH position when going back out to school (HOD is possible; but rarer if you've not been appointed KP previously).

--

Just to comment on your previous 'B' streak in school - despite what your comment, I think that is a very positive sign, as it implies that your RO/HOD actively helped to push for that grade, ultimately with the endorsement of school leaders. Even if it might not have seemed like P had taken notice of you, he/she clearly supported designating you as high-performing staff.

If CEP had been raised to SEO1 level, this is another good sign. Teachers start with GEO5 CEP by default. Someone had to actively suggest your CEP to be moved up - and P would have had to endorse it. Very few non-KP (maybe 1-2 in a school) would have CEP higher than SEO1. Even SEO1 CEP would not be all that common.

In summary: if you truly enjoyed working as a teacher, please don't be discouraged by what you perceive as poor career advancement. I think you're doing pretty well already!

p.s. If you're feeling discouraged in the future and feel comfortable enough doing so, I also suggest having a frank discussion about these matters with your RO. I learnt a lot discussing such matters with my DD (a former VP). Recognise that this depends on the type of ppl your bosses are, of course.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
hi all, would like to see advice on the mandatory hq posting. Could fellow colleagues with experience in the above advise on how such officers are selected? I have seen cases where teachers (there are local scholars and some others are not scholars at all) who get called for such in their 4th or 5th year, after getting mostly C+ and B grades, but people who get C+, B, and A grades, some holding SH positions already, still remaining in school after 6-7 years. Is there any selection criteria for such postings, above just ranking grades? thanks!
Above and beyond anything else, it is about getting noticed and having bosses who fight tooth and nail for you. This is the bottom line. If nobody notices you, nobody knows your aspirations, or nobody is willing to fight hard, really hard for you, then you don't get such special privileges.

Anyway, it's hard to say exactly how to get mandatory HQ postings. Most people who do so are on FLP or are PSC scholars, Education Merit Scholars, or other officers who have had their CEPs raised up high by their bosses in school. You may have heard of "tea sessions" at HQ with senior management. You know you are part of this "elite group" if you are invited to one.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:45 AM
Unregistered

Is this leaked by someone posted to hq?
Url link: s://.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/2-arrested-under-official-secrets-act-for-leak-of-moe-msf-12611484
Old 07-04-2020, 09:03 PM
Unregistered

Feels like we are being bombarded on all fronts. Parents, School Leaders, KPs, even HQ trying to push all sorts of things to us even though non-essential PD and work are supposed to be suspended. This is not a time to be selfish, or for those higher-ups to be worrying about KPIs and mask it under of the guise of being helpful.

Do the senior management and public truly empathise with ground sentiments? Can't people just understand that actually all we need is more time. That's the best support that we can have, not countless emails, messages, or repurposed "essential" courses.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 09-04-2020, 01:16 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
there will be pay cut in June . Announced by NWC last week.
So who's affected?
Old 09-04-2020, 01:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Feels like we are being bombarded on all fronts. Parents, School Leaders, KPs, even HQ trying to push all sorts of things to us even though non-essential PD and work are supposed to be suspended. This is not a time to be selfish, or for those higher-ups to be worrying about KPIs and mask it under of the guise of being helpful.

Do the senior management and public truly empathise with ground sentiments? Can't people just understand that actually all we need is more time. That's the best support that we can have, not countless emails, messages, or repurposed "essential" courses.
Absolutely concur with you. People don't understand that HBL can never replace classroom teaching and have unrealistic expectations. KPs...no direction from some while having too many from the others. What to mark? Not specified...and they continue to bombard you with countless messages and mails on how you can get students to submit work online. Lesson packages? Got arrowed to do and do like no tomorrow, forgetting that you have your own classes to teach too.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:56 PM
Unregistered

Wink

Quote:
Absolutely concur with you. People don't understand that HBL can never replace classroom teaching and have unrealistic expectations. KPs...no direction from some while having too many from the others. What to mark? Not specified...and they continue to bombard you with countless messages and mails on how you can get students to submit work online. Lesson packages? Got arrowed to do and do like no tomorrow, forgetting that you have your own classes to teach too.
I feel you. I think the KPs are also struggling as well to set examples of feedback. Squinting out eyes out to find the most suitable online tool to give feedback or get students to jot down their responses and then upload them... I think it's too much to expect from the parents who are not IT savvy as well. We are told to limit screen time yet as teachers we got to look at 1001 tools online which doesn't allow us much rest/breaks offline. Ok, sounding whiny already. Let's all remain positive and all these shall come to pass!
Old 09-04-2020, 08:10 PM
Unregistered

Anyone with open posting experience to share?