Career as Teacher - Page 240 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Career as Teacher

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #2391 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2020, 05:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

There's a lack of humanities teacher leh i think...

Reply With Quote
  #2392 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2020, 05:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Had a chat with someone who managed to get in, say he saw most ppl in his batch are sec humanities, languages or pri. Very little sec math and sci. So probably more vacancies for you
Hopefully!



SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #2393 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2020, 05:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
sec math

Was told that sec level subjects esp math and sci are the most competitive
s://.tablebuilder.singstat.gov.sg/publicfacing/createDataTable.action?refId=13273

From birth stats, sg never recovered from the higher births of > 45 000+ babies per year prior to 2000 which is why some sec schs have merged or closed. The next time there might be a better demand for sec sch teachers is probably in 5 years time. These kids are now in pri sch so you should consider that if you are up for it, because not everybody are comfy with handling pri sch kids.

And unfortunately with covid, times are even worse with tonnes of retrenchments. As you pointed out, math and sci are very competitive, now worsened by thousands of pmet engineers, financial sector workers etc out of work and will consider teaching math / sci as an interim job until the economy recovers. For better or worse, moe seems to like these mid-career people even though they may not have the skills to teach or are obviously in the job just to tide themselves over.

Its also true that moe cherry picks these in this employer's market. Most of the new teachers (fresh grads) are alumni of top sec schs eg raffles, acs. If you were from some ah beng sec sch, your resume would not even be downloaded by hr despite graduating from a local uni. No need to mention the chances for those pte degree / suss

If your circumstances are affected by the 3 things above, i would suggest forget teaching and beg for any other job which can build up your skills and experience even if it pays you peanuts, and work your way up.

Reply With Quote
  #2394 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2020, 06:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There's a lack of humanities teacher leh i think...
Think carefully before signing on as humanities teacher. Especially if one of your subjects is social studies. Students generally hate humanities and most of them take it because they are forced to by moe and they need it to get into jc or some of the poly courses. Ask any student and they will tell you that they especially dislike social studies or at least the way it is assessed. Don't join for the money because life will be hell for you if you are posted to the wrong school, get the wrong boss or the wrong type of students. Liquidated damages is no joke and 3 / 4 years bond is no joke either.
Reply With Quote
  #2395 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2020, 06:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
s://.tablebuilder.singstat.gov.sg/publicfacing/createDataTable.action?refId=13273

From birth stats, sg never recovered from the higher births of > 45 000+ babies per year prior to 2000 which is why some sec schs have merged or closed. The next time there might be a better demand for sec sch teachers is probably in 5 years time. These kids are now in pri sch so you should consider that if you are up for it, because not everybody are comfy with handling pri sch kids.

And unfortunately with covid, times are even worse with tonnes of retrenchments. As you pointed out, math and sci are very competitive, now worsened by thousands of pmet engineers, financial sector workers etc out of work and will consider teaching math / sci as an interim job until the economy recovers. For better or worse, moe seems to like these mid-career people even though they may not have the skills to teach or are obviously in the job just to tide themselves over.

Its also true that moe cherry picks these in this employer's market. Most of the new teachers (fresh grads) are alumni of top sec schs eg raffles, acs. If you were from some ah beng sec sch, your resume would not even be downloaded by hr despite graduating from a local uni. No need to mention the chances for those pte degree / suss

If your circumstances are affected by the 3 things above, i would suggest forget teaching and beg for any other job which can build up your skills and experience even if it pays you peanuts, and work your way up.
Yes, I do know of a few people who went to teach as a backup plan
Reply With Quote
  #2396 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2020, 06:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Think carefully before signing on as humanities teacher. Especially if one of your subjects is social studies. Students generally hate humanities and most of them take it because they are forced to by moe and they need it to get into jc or some of the poly courses. Ask any student and they will tell you that they especially dislike social studies or at least the way it is assessed. Don't join for the money because life will be hell for you if you are posted to the wrong school, get the wrong boss or the wrong type of students. Liquidated damages is no joke and 3 / 4 years bond is no joke either.
Why would life be hell? Isn't teaching about inspiring passion in your students?
Reply With Quote

  #2397 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2020, 06:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

My increment this year is a paltry $83... GEO3
Reply With Quote
  #2398 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2020, 07:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why would life be hell? Isn't teaching about inspiring passion in your students?
The bond can be broken not just by yourself wanting to quit. If you fail practicum, need to pay back too

really depends on the school you posted to and what class you teaching
Reply With Quote
  #2399 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2020, 07:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My increment this year is a paltry $83... GEO3
mine is only 50 and i got a B
Reply With Quote
  #2400 (permalink)  
Old 01-04-2020, 07:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The bond can be broken not just by yourself wanting to quit. If you fail practicum, need to pay back too

really depends on the school you posted to and what class you teaching
Fail practicum???
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
school teacher pay dazzlego Income and Jobs 10 30-07-2015 12:39 PM
Career advice for mid-career changer Rhin Income and Jobs 5 21-07-2010 11:21 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,680 Replies, 1,378,465 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,759 Replies, 3,193,872 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,957 Replies, 6,052,142 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
134 Replies, 28,693 Views
HSBC Graduate Programme 2021 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
34 Replies, 4,093 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,484 Replies, 2,059,036 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,059 Replies, 838,706 Views
Career in Engineering - Is it... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
57 Replies, 43,496 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
142 Replies, 94,309 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,967 Replies, 1,824,247 Views
Capgemini Graduate Programme ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 7,126 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,806 Replies, 1,189,500 Views
Pay for digital marketing agencies
9 Replies, 3,223 Views
Diploma in Digital Marketing at...
4 Replies, 3,239 Views
Dentist Salary ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 8,383 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,528 Replies, 1,008,903 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
752 Replies, 384,906 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
89 Replies, 124,386 Views
MasterCard Graduate Developement... ( 1 2 3)
26 Replies, 7,478 Views
How much does a typical FP&A... ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 2,611 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,776 Replies, 840,440 Views
Buy condo or wait it out?
4 Replies, 715 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
160 Replies, 42,093 Views
How Much Do You Need to Earn... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
51 Replies, 19,768 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
364 Replies, 127,501 Views
An upgrade to my system
1 Replies, 100 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,064 Replies, 285,923 Views
Different rank in local banks ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
56 Replies, 121,243 Views
shipping from China to Singapore
1 Replies, 628 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
289 Replies, 187,944 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2