Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 21-03-2020 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher (Post 130558)
Yes essentially you are pitted against officers in the same grade. But you, together with the other officers in the same grade, are also matched against the expectations in that grade. E.g. the expectations of a GEO1 could just be to show effort in classroom management and effect change in the classroom. But that of a GEO 4, even if you have excellent classroom management skills, you are also supposed to effect change maybe at a cluster level, action research etc. And that will be the norm that is expected. So there can be instances where all the GEO4s in your school get C because nobody rose above the expectations. This is also why most people GEO5 and above rarely get A anymore. But in that sense, their pay is also high enough such that a C quantum also is quite substantial

What's the difference between what is expected of a GEO 4 and GEO 5? I thought to affect level is what is expected for GEO 5?

Unregistered 21-03-2020 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130585)
Wow so difficult to reach GEO 4 nowadays? I got a mixture of C+ and C, took around 6 years.

then maybe its my school problem.

I have a colleague who had a few B before, the rest C+ and C, in service for 8 years already, organised 4 years of school level events already which means doing Geo 4 or Geo 5 level work, but now still at Geo 3.

Unregistered 21-03-2020 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130588)
then maybe its my school problem.

I have a colleague who had a few B before, the rest C+ and C, in service for 8 years already, organised 4 years of school level events already which means doing Geo 4 or Geo 5 level work, but now still at Geo 3.

Document everything that you have done - they will come in handy for your resume. If indeed you have contributed so much, it won't be hard for you to move on.

Open posting will start in July...you know what to do ;)

Unregistered 21-03-2020 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130577)
exactly. that person posted..

Year 1 C
Year 2 Promoted to Geo 3 (D)
Year 3 C
Year 4 C
Year 5 C
Year 6 Promoted to Geo 4 (C)

All C grades n even a D and got promoted to Geo 4 by 6th year?

I'm in my 8th year, had 2 C+, 6 C, now still Geo 3 leh.

I even have a colleague in my batch, also in year 8 liao, she had 2 B, a few C+ and the rest C, now still stuck at Geo 3.

HI, I am the person that posted. In this case, it might be better for you and your colleague to change school.

JadedEmerald 21-03-2020 06:19 PM

Still GEO 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130523)
7 years as GEO 1???

Yes. 7 years still at GEO1. That's really the life of a dip ed holder.
At least for me it is.
Bring home less than 2k/mth. 😵

So when I see those who are earning 2-3 times more than me complaining,
I get more demotivated.
Im just thrash in the school.

Unregistered 21-03-2020 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JadedEmerald (Post 130596)
Yes. 7 years still at GEO1. That's really the life of a dip ed holder.
At least for me it is.
Bring home less than 2k/mth. 😵

So when I see those who are earning 2-3 times more than me complaining,
I get more demotivated.
Im just thrash in the school.

I can assure you that you are not trash in the school! Think of all the times you have worked hard for the kids and they have done well because of you, all the times you have seen them maturing into better individuals, all the times when they came back to visit and thank you for what you have done for them - those are the times that should matter the most, right? After all, we are in this industry for the sake of the children.

Sometimes, we are so focused on chasing the grades and promotion that we tend to forget why we became teachers in the first place.

Saying that, I am not saying that it is fair for you to remain as GEO 1 after all these years. Not sure if the speed of progression is different for those with Dip Ed though. Maybe you can ask around for those who are in the similar situation as you but in different school. Based on what you have shared, I would think you should be able to get promoted next year so if still no change by then, do consider asking for a transfer to another school.

Unregistered 21-03-2020 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130599)
I can assure you that you are not trash in the school! Think of all the times you have worked hard for the kids and they have done well because of you, all the times you have seen them maturing into better individuals, all the times when they came back to visit and thank you for what you have done for them - those are the times that should matter the most, right? After all, we are in this industry for the sake of the children.

Sometimes, we are so focused on chasing the grades and promotion that we tend to forget why we became teachers in the first place.

Saying that, I am not saying that it is fair for you to remain as GEO 1 after all these years. Not sure if the speed of progression is different for those with Dip Ed though. Maybe you can ask around for those who are in the similar situation as you but in different school. Based on what you have shared, I would think you should be able to get promoted next year so if still no change by then, do consider asking for a transfer to another school.

Progression tends to be longer for Dip Ed holder. My colleague who graduated to Dip Ed only got promoted to GEO 3 in her 6th year in service when those in PDGE generally promoted to the same grade in 1 to 2 year in service.

That being said, 7 years in GEO 1 is still way too long

Unregistered 21-03-2020 07:04 PM

Quote:

Progression tends to be longer for Dip Ed holder. My colleague who graduated to Dip Ed only got promoted to GEO 3 in her 6th year in service when those in PDGE generally promoted to the same grade in 1 to 2 year in service.

That being said, 7 years in GEO 1 is still way too long.

Ex Educator 21-03-2020 10:06 PM

Quote:

In my humble opinion,you hit the nail on its head! Yes,no doubt doing well professionally is important but to watch the kids under your care grow up to be successful individuals is priceless. In a way,teachers are not considered to be successful by traditional societal standards but you make successful individuals out of them. In a way,I would love to have a proper job like teaching but I came out many years ago and it's no longer possible to rejoin due to my relative old age currently so now it is just some relief teaching to support the full time teachers whenever necessary and tuition classes in afternoons. But I have learned to be grateful and thankful especially in times like this. To all teachers out here,you have my utmost support,respect and keep doing the wonderful work in our kids and the rest will take care itself. Cheers and jia you!!

Unregistered 22-03-2020 09:38 AM

Anyone knows if there will still be merit increment this year?