Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 17-03-2020 10:42 AM

Sad to hear that it is indeed happening everywhere :/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130253)
True. I am sitting amongst the ranking panel during appraisal. I have seen how the SL brushed off negative feedback about some of the teachers that he likes. Yet on the other hand, he kept picking on minor issues that some of the teachers he has not much contact with have

Unregistered 17-03-2020 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130271)
Sad to hear that it is indeed happening everywhere :/

That is because you have KPs who have the mindset “if it ain’t concern me, I won’t say anything. Better don’t offend the big bosses (aka SLs).” If they dare to speak up, then no such things will happen. Anw, if you are able to bring up facts and support your teachers, your SLs really cannot fault them for their minor mistakes. If your teachers have really done well and can be supported with facts, then you cannot penalise them for small insignificant mistakes. Also, if you have done your job really well as a KP, you wouldn’t not speak for your teachers. Many times, KPs are afraid to speak up simply because they are afraid SLs will redirect their attention to scrutinise their work. But why do you need to be afraid if you have always been diligent? No one can really penalise you unless facts tell otherwise.

Unregistered 17-03-2020 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130262)
yup I so agree with u. sometimes I just wonder why the ranking is needed when the P already decided it. the old bird KPs just take as an exercise of knowing the P like or dun like...

The same applies to OCA award or whatever award there are. SL comes in with an answer then asks if the ranking panel is agreeable. Honestly, I don't even know how that person has contributed to the school but it is evident that the SL likes the person.

Unregistered 17-03-2020 08:18 PM

For the ROs who are actually concerned about their JHs, this is still an educational experience - other than an opportunity to speak up for their officers (if the SLs are open to hearing some additional POVs), it allows the ROs to get a sense of what the SLs value and despise in an officer.

Having a good RO can be a real godsend - they can do wonders to (gradually) rehabilitate an officer with a bad reputation, if the officer is indeed hardworking and willing to change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130262)
yup I so agree with u. sometimes I just wonder why the ranking is needed when the P already decided it. the old bird KPs just take as an exercise of knowing the P like or dun like...

Unregistered 17-03-2020 10:00 PM

It is human nature to want to avoid trouble - no one wants to put their necks on the chopping board unless it is for people whom they really care about.

So again back to making sure you are in the good books of your RO and/or other higher-ups in the school so that they would be willing to "fight" for you when it matters. Best to commit your time to networking and managing high profile events, especially those which will directly benefit your RO. For the quieter ones who just want to focus on the bread-and-butter (aka teaching, marking, planning good lessons), chances are you will not move up as fast because you won't have many to speak up for you during the ranking season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 130276)
That is because you have KPs who have the mindset “if it ain’t concern me, I won’t say anything. Better don’t offend the big bosses (aka SLs).” If they dare to speak up, then no such things will happen. Anw, if you are able to bring up facts and support your teachers, your SLs really cannot fault them for their minor mistakes. If your teachers have really done well and can be supported with facts, then you cannot penalise them for small insignificant mistakes. Also, if you have done your job really well as a KP, you wouldn’t not speak for your teachers. Many times, KPs are afraid to speak up simply because they are afraid SLs will redirect their attention to scrutinise their work. But why do you need to be afraid if you have always been diligent? No one can really penalise you unless facts tell otherwise.

Unregistered 17-03-2020 11:38 PM

I am a KP and true enough there are some heinous black sheeps among the MM who can easily clinch the Guinness World record for the fastest prata flipping or most malicious shooting. It is human nature to mind one's own business, and I have witnessed KPs who would speak for their JH during ranking and became a mute right after their job is done. They will not comment on anyone else even if they had worked with the person. On the other end of the spectrum, there will be **** stirrers who will nitpick every single JHs. And at times when the herd mentality will kick in, everyone will chip in someone kickstarts the fault finding game. Ultimately, it depends on the character of the ROs. Some are just more eloquent while others more softspoken.

I've never been afraid to speak up. Even when I was an SH to now a HOD, I believe in giving credits to all JHs and presenting a holistic view that do that do them justice and help them grow. Ultimately, they are fellow colleagues, another human-being. As educators, it is heartwrenching to see other educators' effort being washed down the drain because of minor faults being amplified by old birds.

Unregistered 19-03-2020 11:45 AM

I find some contradictions in what you have written. You mentioned that you are one of the golden officers in the school and your bosses have given you many chances to excel, but at the same time, you are not being groomed?

Giving you the added responsibilities and opportunities to head a project is all part of grooming you. How do you make use of such opportunities to shine and showcase your talents and abilities?

Yes, showing your face to your SLs and making them know about your contributions is one thing. Another is how you value add to the projects which have been assigned to you? Have you done the project differently from how it was done before - have you shown any new initiative which in the end benefits the school in some way or another? It is also about taking the initiative to implement something new and making sure it works - showing initiative and taking calculated risks are two elements of leadership qualities which the school looks out for. Also your ability to speak up for what you are passionate about and making changes, instead of just doing things the same (and safe) way all the time.

Besides that, you must consider the impact of your actions. You mentioned that you are good in classroom management and with your students - but sadly, these will only impact the students in your class. To move up to GEO4, you need to show that your actions/initiatives can impact those beyond your classroom - maybe you will need to see how you can implement something which can benefit the level.

Hope this helps. I am a GEO 4 btw :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puzzled educator (Post 130265)
Hi all, I'm wondering how possible is it to get an A for Geo 3? I have managed to get an international award for my school. I have done quite a fair bit in my IP Dept. I'm heading a project in my IT Dept. I have added responsibilities in my current job. I just got promoted to Geo 3 last year. I am a guy.

To be honest, I am one of the golden officer in the school. My bosses like me and they do give me many chances to excel. However, when I did target setting with my RO, she mentioned that the school didn't see any leadership potential in me yet. So I asked her what to do? She said do something along ur aspiration.. Hmmm.... Not that I'm lazy to do anything new, but I'm not very sure what more can contirbute to the school? I guess to become a KP, you gonna keep on showing your face to the SLs even though u are not doing much. Have a chat and just show face. I'm not that type of person who will just show up in SLs office just to 'wayang'.

I am not a scholar. But my HOD praises my competencies in classroom management and applaused my effort in changing the challenging students' behaviour. What should I do more?

Personally I don't feel that I'm being groomed. I feel that I'm not developed professionally as an educator. At times when I see my direct Lh being super incompetent and super last minute, but able to get away from all the mess my LH have created, I just wondered how does she become a KP. Well, showing face to the P in her first show to the school did help much I guess. The following year my LH was promoted. Imagined vetting a P3 paper for 1 month for 1st draft and another month to 2nd vetting. When exam was just weeek 9 of the term. That left me >1 week to edit and resubmit. Omg. Any advices from the fellow colleagues too? - Troubled educator

Unregistered 19-03-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Hi all, I'm wondering how possible is it to get an A for Geo 3? I have managed to get an international award for my school. I have done quite a fair bit in my IP Dept. I'm heading a project in my IT Dept. I have added responsibilities in my current job. I just got promoted to Geo 3 last year. I am a guy.

To be honest, I am one of the golden officer in the school. My bosses like me and they do give me many chances to excel. However, when I did target setting with my RO, she mentioned that the school didn't see any leadership potential in me yet. So I asked her what to do? She said do something along ur aspiration.. Hmmm.... Not that I'm lazy to do anything new, but I'm not very sure what more can contirbute to the school? I guess to become a KP, you gonna keep on showing your face to the SLs even though u are not doing much. Have a chat and just show face. I'm not that type of person who will just show up in SLs office just to 'wayang'.

I am not a scholar. But my HOD praises my competencies in classroom management and applaused my effort in changing the challenging students' behaviour. What should I do more?

Personally I don't feel that I'm being groomed. I feel that I'm not developed professionally as an educator. At times when I see my direct Lh being super incompetent and super last minute, but able to get away from all the mess my LH have created, I just wondered how does she become a KP. Well, showing face to the P in her first show to the school did help much I guess. The following year my LH was promoted. Imagined vetting a P3 paper for 1 month for 1st draft and another month to 2nd vetting. When exam was just weeek 9 of the term. That left me >1 week to edit and resubmit. Omg. Any advices from the fellow colleagues too? - Troubled educator

A for GEO 3 is possible, I got that before.

But being able to get A after your year of promotion is quite impossible. Most Supts won't be comfortable with that. At best you could get a B.

Unregistered 19-03-2020 05:21 PM

Quote:

How long have you been in the service? I have gotten A even at Geo 4. So it is very possible to get A at your sub grade.

The responsibilities given to you is to ascertain your aptitude and attitude. When it comes, it comes. No need to rush to be appointed. You can also be doing many things, but without relevany duties for you to glorified yourself during interview for the appointment you are going for it will be tough.

Puzzled Educator 20-03-2020 12:32 AM

Hi... Thanks for all the replies. I guess I was quite down when I wrote the previous post. But again, I think I can do more nowadays... I will also try to be more influential in persuading my Dept colleagues to come on board with me... Actually at the end of the day, I'm more concerned about professional development of oneself. I just felt too comfortable with my current job and hope I can make a difference and impact to my colleagues... Sounds vain or probably'noble'? 🤣 Being in this service for for 6 years and started off with a dip grad, I guess I've come far enough. It's time and experiences which I will need to gather before moving up to the next grade.