Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 16-03-2020, 02:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Project leader was me for 2 years before this scholar came about. He wanted to value add as an advisor. Becos he wanted to show his stuff, he wanted to take control of the project... as a result, always had to seek his advice and do it his way. Previously b4 him, I only needed to tell the P what we were doing and we got on well as long as we met our LOs.

A few times the scholar was very rude and used words that made the team and I feel horrible when planned the programme on a limited budget. Whenever things did not go his way or if he missed out on certain things, he would not take responsibility and would bitch to the P about how slow and lousy we are. actually, we were waiting for his instructions since he dun like us to take control and only wanted us to follow his instructions. So obviously you know who was going to take the blame - the project leader.

so despite things were falling apart for him, instead of saying him, the P went after me. In the end, my team and I had pick up the pieces and rescue the event in 2 weeks. So I can say it was success but the mess he created was unnecessary.

Yet, In the end, the P still loved him and made us take the crap despite using our experience to solve the issues which the scholar created in the end.

Wow bad p.

Old 16-03-2020, 07:28 PM
Unregistered

From experience, if the higher-up or the golden child in the organisation doesn't like you, whatever you have done will never be noticed. On the other hand, if you make a mistake, it will be exaggerated even if it is minor. Such is life.

Quote:
Project leader was me for 2 years before this scholar came about. He wanted to value add as an advisor. Becos he wanted to show his stuff, he wanted to take control of the project... as a result, always had to seek his advice and do it his way. Previously b4 him, I only needed to tell the P what we were doing and we got on well as long as we met our LOs.

A few times the scholar was very rude and used words that made the team and I feel horrible when planned the programme on a limited budget. Whenever things did not go his way or if he missed out on certain things, he would not take responsibility and would bitch to the P about how slow and lousy we are. actually, we were waiting for his instructions since he dun like us to take control and only wanted us to follow his instructions. So obviously you know who was going to take the blame - the project leader.

so despite things were falling apart for him, instead of saying him, the P went after me. In the end, my team and I had pick up the pieces and rescue the event in 2 weeks. So I can say it was success but the mess he created was unnecessary.

Yet, In the end, the P still loved him and made us take the crap despite using our experience to solve the issues which the scholar created in the end.

Old 16-03-2020, 07:31 PM
Unregistered

So, after being in the service for more than 10 years, I would say it is not your teaching skills or work ethics which will bring you far - it will depend more on your networking skill and also how to you manage to win over the "right" people in the school. Get in the good books of the golden children and you will be fine, even when you make mistakes.

Old 16-03-2020, 10:27 PM
Unregistered

Wink

Quote:
From experience, if the higher-up or the golden child in the organisation doesn't like you, whatever you have done will never be noticed. On the other hand, if you make a mistake, it will be exaggerated even if it is minor. Such is life.
True. I am sitting amongst the ranking panel during appraisal. I have seen how the SL brushed off negative feedback about some of the teachers that he likes. Yet on the other hand, he kept picking on minor issues that some of the teachers he has not much contact with have
Old 16-03-2020, 10:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
True. I am sitting amongst the ranking panel during appraisal. I have seen how the SL brushed off negative feedback about some of the teachers that he likes. Yet on the other hand, he kept picking on minor issues that some of the teachers he has not much contact with have
Yup, as a new RO, I feel very helpless sometimes as I am more junior than all the other officers in my school who are also ROs. Sometimes I feel that when we give feedback or information, it is not treated as objectively as possible, but rather, the higher ups listen to those whom they like more, or who are more senior. It's very hard for junior MMs like myself to fight for my people.. even though I am in the good books of my SLs, I am just too small compared to the other KPs..
Old 17-03-2020, 12:58 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
So, after being in the service for more than 10 years, I would say it is not your teaching skills or work ethics which will bring you far - it will depend more on your networking skill and also how to you manage to win over the "right" people in the school. Get in the good books of the golden children and you will be fine, even when you make mistakes.
sadly this is true. Those who can wayang and carry the bosses tend to rise faster. I have seen how some pple who were seemingly harmless plotting quietly at the back, taking advantage of any given moment. their policy is 'say what the bosses want to hear'. so if the boss dun like the unlucky fellow whatever reason, just throw stones at that fellow.... help the fellow then u die with the fellow unless u have some backing bigger than the boss.

Many times question the system. We should have undercover bosses to check on the SLs.

Old 17-03-2020, 01:01 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
yup I so agree with u. sometimes I just wonder why the ranking is needed when the P already decided it. the old bird KPs just take as an exercise of knowing the P like or dun like...
Old 17-03-2020, 01:08 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yup, as a new RO, I feel very helpless sometimes as I am more junior than all the other officers in my school who are also ROs. Sometimes I feel that when we give feedback or information, it is not treated as objectively as possible, but rather, the higher ups listen to those whom they like more, or who are more senior. It's very hard for junior MMs like myself to fight for my people.. even though I am in the good books of my SLs, I am just too small compared to the other KPs..
standard one. they have a longer history with your boss - their words carry more weight.

just stay in their good books.

Stick to the facts and defend appropriately if they go on the offensive against your officer. Make sure you do your homework before you enter... if your officer really CMI, be objective abt it.

if your P is good - he/she shd remind all teachers belong to u all, not just individual ROs. That being said, some ROs may not care or the P just say for mouth exercise.
Old 17-03-2020, 01:09 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
standard one. they have a longer history with your boss - their words carry more weight. just stay in their good books. Stick to the facts and defend appropriately if they go on the offensive against your officer. Make sure you do your homework before you enter... if your officer really CMI, be objective abt it. if your P is good - he/she shd remind all teachers belong to u all, not just individual ROs. That being said, some ROs may not care or the P just say for mouth exercise.
Old 17-03-2020, 01:40 AM
Puzzled educator

Red face

Hi all, I'm wondering how possible is it to get an A for Geo 3? I have managed to get an international award for my school. I have done quite a fair bit in my IP Dept. I'm heading a project in my IT Dept. I have added responsibilities in my current job. I just got promoted to Geo 3 last year. I am a guy.

To be honest, I am one of the golden officer in the school. My bosses like me and they do give me many chances to excel. However, when I did target setting with my RO, she mentioned that the school didn't see any leadership potential in me yet. So I asked her what to do? She said do something along ur aspiration.. Hmmm.... Not that I'm lazy to do anything new, but I'm not very sure what more can contirbute to the school? I guess to become a KP, you gonna keep on showing your face to the SLs even though u are not doing much. Have a chat and just show face. I'm not that type of person who will just show up in SLs office just to 'wayang'.

I am not a scholar. But my HOD praises my competencies in classroom management and applaused my effort in changing the challenging students' behaviour. What should I do more?

Personally I don't feel that I'm being groomed. I feel that I'm not developed professionally as an educator. At times when I see my direct Lh being super incompetent and super last minute, but able to get away from all the mess my LH have created, I just wondered how does she become a KP. Well, showing face to the P in her first show to the school did help much I guess. The following year my LH was promoted. Imagined vetting a P3 paper for 1 month for 1st draft and another month to 2nd vetting. When exam was just weeek 9 of the term. That left me >1 week to edit and resubmit. Omg. Any advices from the fellow colleagues too? - Troubled educator