Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 05-03-2020 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129697)
It took me 6 years to get to GEO 5. Not a scholar but slogging all day long. I have never considered my cep high given my lousy class of degree. But performance grades over the years have been consistently B/A with C+ during year of promotion.

You just reminded me of a female scholar who took 5 years to hit GEO5 and came in as a SH. with 3 years in a school, 2 years in hq.

A for performance is super liao. Your calibre is scholar liao. For you to hit GEO 5 in 6 years means your cep is high and you are a KP.

Unregistered 05-03-2020 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129695)
If you are in the timetabling team you will know how hard it is to accomodate to your 'small request'. Monday-friday every other lessons have to go first because you report to school later. If you are taking lower P or MT it will be lagi worse because the classes are banded together. Request are not fcfs basis. School needs always come first. Some Ps will tell you, take it or off you go.

Agree w this. Timetabling is a nightmare because of pre-existing conditions like banded classes already. Therefore schools can’t grant all personal requests - esp late reporting because it affects the TT and sometimes it can’t even be run.

Unregistered 06-03-2020 06:05 AM

If I would like to apply for open posting this year, is it a must to tell my current P? Can it be done quietly till the posting result is out?

Unregistered 06-03-2020 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129715)
If I would like to apply for open posting this year, is it a must to tell my current P? Can it be done quietly till the posting result is out?

I do not think there is a rule that says u must but it is out of courtesy so that they post an advert on open posting so that they can replace you.

you also do not want to shock your P when the other school might call asking about you - you can expect your P to be incensed sometimes...

I also suspect the moment u click on the button to accept the transfer, they will receive an email.

Unregistered 06-03-2020 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129663)
Not SL. But based on what I know as true examples

1) normal teacher, non scholar got promoted to GEO5 during her NPL( take care of ailing parent)
I felt her promotion was Long overdue as she should be a high CEP officer.

2) cep shouldn’t be affected by just one NPL.

3) had colleagues who are KP. Also not promoted to GEO5 despite being KPs. Being a KP doesn’t mean your chance of promotion is increased

4) had a colleague after 2 NPL breaks ( extended after each maternity) . Got promoted to GEO5 after her second NPL. Then became KP.

Promotion is dependent on performance and CEP.

All above examples are non scholars and around the same age range and years in service.( +-3yrs)

1) normal teacher, non scholar got promoted to GEO5 during her NPL( take care of ailing parent)
I felt her promotion was Long overdue as she should be a high CEP officer. - Depends on circumstances. Will need more info to give a proper opinion.

2) cep shouldn’t be affected by just one NPL. - it depends whether the P/VP/RO is a nice/horrid person. A couple of P's names come to mind.

3) had colleagues who are KP. Also not promoted to GEO5 despite being KPs. Being a KP doesn’t mean your chance of promotion is increased. - This is where I agree. There are a combination of reasons for this. Sometimes you are acting/covering, MOE side will not acknowledge. Or if your P decided not to put u up for promotion... could other factors too, favouritism?

4) had a colleague after 2 NPL breaks ( extended after each maternity) . Got promoted to GEO5 after her second NPL. Then became KP. - refer to my comment for pt. 3.

Promotion is dependent on performance and CEP. Yes and No - P liking you is also a factor... in fact, very impt. they like you, they can raise your CEP, Perf grade to a high level. There are times I feel we need to have undercover bosses in schools to check these people.

All above examples are non scholars and around the same age range and years in service.( +-3yrs)[/QUOTE]

Unregistered 06-03-2020 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129715)

You MUST tell your principal before applying.. Cos if you dun, you are burning your bridges. Your principal will know when you applied... Imagine you dun get, and llst.

Unregistered 06-03-2020 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129697)
It took me 6 years to get to GEO 5. Not a scholar but slogging all day long. I have never considered my cep high given my lousy class of degree. But performance grades over the years have been consistently B/A with C+ during year of promotion.

If you are good, and your school is willing to fight for you, your CEP can be adjusted upwards even if you originally came in with a crappy one. That is most likely what happened to you. Keep up the good work. 6 years to GEO5 is actually quite fast, faster than even some mediocre scholars.

arigatoast 06-03-2020 02:44 PM

Hi guys

any peeps here applied for PGDE as a Pe teacher ( untrained) in Jan 2020?
so far i have not received any news on the PPT dates. but i did received a call from MOE regarding the PPT.
any guys here have dates already? thanks

Unregistered 07-03-2020 10:09 PM

Do independent schools hire teachers without PGDE/teaching qualifications and send them for relevant training later on?

Unregistered 08-03-2020 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129791)
Do independent schools hire teachers without PGDE/teaching qualifications and send them for relevant training later on?

correct me if im wrong...i think if u wanna teach at any school that's under MOE, u need to have at least 1 of the 3 qualifications below:

1) diploma in education from NIE
2) BA in Education from NIE
3) PGDE from NIE

perhaps the only leeway MOE is willing to give potential applicants is that your cert doesn't need to be fully related to the subject that u have interest in. eg, engineering can teach maths, comms can teach english.