Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 22-01-2020, 05:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you want to be noticed and climb, a surplus of teachers in your school is probably the best kind of situation. It means you have more time to work on stuff that gets you noticed positively by a wider range of KPs and SLs. Ask to lead committees or school-wide projects. Present at open classrooms. Go for courses and share relevant learning with your department during internal PD sessions. Basically, look at the KRAs for your subgrade and beef up your portfolio of work in the non-T&L areas (assuming your T&L is already sorted and solid and you have time and mental bandwidth to work on other areas - don't bother trying to climb if your T&L still cannot make it). Be higher profile and be noticed, but don't be obnoxious. If you are noticed to be reliably performing beyond your current grade, you will obviously be given good performance grades and probably promoted.
Thank you for the advise, one thing is, they/head allocate work for us. Like each of us taking care of certain committee/projects. So we cant 'hijack' their project.. I wasnt given any, and I suggested something yet I think because I'm the only geo3 there, the head gave the projects to the geo4 and 5s. I'm the helper this year I feel.

Is it good for me to come out with something by myself? Or is it a must for me to talk to RO. Because my RO is the head.. and people do feel my subject is useless. Sad you know

Old 22-01-2020, 06:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thank you for the advise, one thing is, they/head allocate work for us. Like each of us taking care of certain committee/projects. So we cant 'hijack' their project.. I wasnt given any, and I suggested something yet I think because I'm the only geo3 there, the head gave the projects to the geo4 and 5s. I'm the helper this year I feel.

Is it good for me to come out with something by myself? Or is it a must for me to talk to RO. Because my RO is the head.. and people do feel my subject is useless. Sad you know
No subject is useless. Every subject has a purpose. What subject do you teach? Perhaps we can offer some ideas on how you can show that you are doing well?

Yes, take the initiative to speak to your RO if you would like stretched assignments. Sometimes, stretched assignments are not given because of other areas of concern. E.g. officer is still struggling with T&L or classroom management. Another consideration is length of service of officer. If you are 1-2 years into service, it is unlikely that you will be put to head a committee or project. However, do speak to your RO if you feel that you are capable of doing it. (Just note that it is still unlikely for a young officer to be First IC. Maybe 2nd IC?)

If your RO is unable to give you a reasonable explanation, you can also seek advice from your SLs. Do note that SLs are not unreasonable bosses. They are there to help officers grow as well. However, you must first speak to your RO. Never ever skip hierarchy. Only go to the next level if you tried speaking to your RO but get a non satisfactory answer.

Old 22-01-2020, 07:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
No subject is useless. Every subject has a purpose. What subject do you teach? Perhaps we can offer some ideas on how you can show that you are doing well?

Yes, take the initiative to speak to your RO if you would like stretched assignments. Sometimes, stretched assignments are not given because of other areas of concern. E.g. officer is still struggling with T&L or classroom management. Another consideration is length of service of officer. If you are 1-2 years into service, it is unlikely that you will be put to head a committee or project. However, do speak to your RO if you feel that you are capable of doing it. (Just note that it is still unlikely for a young officer to be First IC. Maybe 2nd IC?)

If your RO is unable to give you a reasonable explanation, you can also seek advice from your SLs. Do note that SLs are not unreasonable bosses. They are there to help officers grow as well. However, you must first speak to your RO. Never ever skip hierarchy. Only go to the next level if you tried speaking to your RO but get a non satisfactory answer.
What happens if we skip chain of command?
Will they send us to dB?

Old 22-01-2020, 07:25 PM
Unregistered

I see newbies asking for more work whereas veterans are asking to be offloaded

To be honest, after a while you will feel jaded. There will always be someone up there above you.
Old 22-01-2020, 07:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Will they send us to dB?
Then you will find yourself being marked... Things will be made harder at least not on the surface though. It's common sense in CS that you do not skip the chain of command.
Old 22-01-2020, 09:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Will they send us to dB?
Of course you will not be given warning letter or anything drastic. BUT you will be viewed differently. You will be viewed as an impulsive officer who just wants to make himself/herself heard and someone who does not know how to honour ranks. (I am not saying that all our bosses are reasonable and they listen.) However, we as sensible officers must learn what it means by organisational structure. We don’t anyhow skip ranks when we want to give feedback. There is a process. Follow it it you are a sensible and mature officer.

You should only escalate upwards when you have done your due duty and your RO is not helping.

Remember, even though there is an need for us to speak up for ourselves, follow organisational structure and be a mature officer. No one will look highly of officers who does not understand humility and organisational structure. You may be competent but lack EQ in this area.

Old 23-01-2020, 11:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

My subject is music. Specialization which means I only have 1 CS. Because of this, many people are unhappy saying oh, we don't have to set papers/remedials/supplementary or others.
But we do have 40, min.38 teaching periods, of cos lesson planning is norm since we don't really have a strict followed SOW and we have to come out with our own lessons. CCA and to cover teachers for duties - since they think we are very free.
We need to do relief at times too
Many comments of music teachers are just singing, lesson is easy and karaoke session. It is sad to hear that. I am very motivated to teach pupils, happy to see them daily but when back to office... I feel so different.

I read that older officers get jaded... this feeling isn't good and I can slowly feel that everyone here is fighting upwards high, and snatch every piece of the things you wish to be part of it. Is it true/happening in other schools too?
Old 23-01-2020, 02:53 PM
Unregistered

can anyone advise whether an officer getting C- will get merit increment?
Old 23-01-2020, 08:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
My subject is music. Specialization which means I only have 1 CS. Because of this, many people are unhappy saying oh, we don't have to set papers/remedials/supplementary or others.
But we do have 40, min.38 teaching periods, of cos lesson planning is norm since we don't really have a strict followed SOW and we have to come out with our own lessons. CCA and to cover teachers for duties - since they think we are very free.
We need to do relief at times too
Many comments of music teachers are just singing, lesson is easy and karaoke session. It is sad to hear that. I am very motivated to teach pupils, happy to see them daily but when back to office... I feel so different.

I read that older officers get jaded... this feeling isn't good and I can slowly feel that everyone here is fighting upwards high, and snatch every piece of the things you wish to be part of it. Is it true/happening in other schools too?
The thing is we cannot stop others from saying what they want to say. There is also no need for you to stop them. Senior officers and school leaders will know that everyone, regardless of their teaching subjects, have their workload assigned according to their substantive grade.

As a music teacher, there are many ways for you to show your contribution. E.g. try to voice out your interest in joining the aesthetics com. You can help prepare students for performances or create programmes for Aesthetics.

Other than teaching your subject well, you can also try to infuse learning of values through music lessons. When your students have shown improvement in values, it will look good on you too.

Also, as a teacher, you would also have a form class and CCA students to influence. Make positive impact on the students’ learning and you will do alright.

Once you have some strategies for your success, you can then do a sharing with your colleagues. Invite them to your lessons to see how you impart values through your subject.

I don’t subscribe to the belief that everyone is snatching a piece of something. In this field, there are endless things a teacher can do/innovate. What is important is that we do it with the right intent. When you do things right with the right intent, there will be opportunities for you to shine.

Additionally, there isn’t a need to compare about senior officers getting jaded. Understand that everyone is at a different life stage and will view career differently.

Just do your best! Press on!
Old 26-01-2020, 11:26 AM
Unregistered

Default Wuhan virus

Is anyone here also concerned about the Wuhan coronavirus? Given our proximity to so many students and our predisposition to the flu, I feel it’s quite worrying. My student has relatives from Wuhan staying with her, who flew in a few days ago :-(