Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

lostintransit 26-07-2013 05:31 PM

mid career teacher

Hi all,

I am a science researcher at one of the local universities looking to join MOE as a teacher. I have applied for the MOE PGDE earlier in July, was asked to submit transcripts/cert and am now waiting to hear back from them.

I am deciding to take the plunge into teaching is because I would like to inspire younger people and ignite a passion for science within these young people. My peers have suggested lecturing at poly given my academic background (bachelor of science and postgrad research degree), but I would rather teach because it is at a more personal level. I have done some teaching at the tertiary level but I find it rather impersonal as it is mostly about the transfer of information. Teaching in Sec schools or JC is a different thing. Apart from teaching, teachers are also counsellors and mentors to their students. This what appeals to me the most. I would like to be a part of guiding younger people as they discover their interests and direction.

I am well-aware of the approximately 30-40% pay cut that I may get, and I am aware of the downsides of being a teacher (my close friends are teachers at Sec schools, and they often share their agony), but I am challenged.

I am however wondering about the chances of being short-listed for an interview with MOE in the first place. I am not a local graduate, did my Pre-U, B.Sc and post-grad overseas (lower in rank than NUS, but better in rank than NTU in 2013), but did my O levels (6 A's, 1 B) in Singapore. I have however been working as a researcher in one of these two local uni since returning to Singapore (2.5 years ago). Would being an overseas degree holder lower my chances of being short-listed by MOE? Does anyone know what MOE looks when they short-list candidates for interview?

Thank you!

Unregistered 28-07-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostintransit (Post 40389)
Hi all,

I am a science researcher at one of the local universities looking to join MOE as a teacher. I have applied for the MOE PGDE earlier in July, was asked to submit transcripts/cert and am now waiting to hear back from them.

I am deciding to take the plunge into teaching is because I would like to inspire younger people and ignite a passion for science within these young people. My peers have suggested lecturing at poly given my academic background (bachelor of science and postgrad research degree), but I would rather teach because it is at a more personal level. I have done some teaching at the tertiary level but I find it rather impersonal as it is mostly about the transfer of information. Teaching in Sec schools or JC is a different thing. Apart from teaching, teachers are also counsellors and mentors to their students. This what appeals to me the most. I would like to be a part of guiding younger people as they discover their interests and direction.

I am well-aware of the approximately 30-40% pay cut that I may get, and I am aware of the downsides of being a teacher (my close friends are teachers at Sec schools, and they often share their agony), but I am challenged.

I am however wondering about the chances of being short-listed for an interview with MOE in the first place. I am not a local graduate, did my Pre-U, B.Sc and post-grad overseas (lower in rank than NUS, but better in rank than NTU in 2013), but did my O levels (6 A's, 1 B) in Singapore. I have however been working as a researcher in one of these two local uni since returning to Singapore (2.5 years ago). Would being an overseas degree holder lower my chances of being short-listed by MOE? Does anyone know what MOE looks when they short-list candidates for interview?

Thank you!

u want a real challenge whereby u hope to inspire the next generation and leave a legacy?

u want to be really involved and not only transfer of information etc.?

why not join ITE as a lecturer? it is beyond teaching, beyond lecturing and definitely, very involved in students' development not only as a student but as an individual.

i would think that your pay-cut will not be that huge but that is secondary, clearly.

Unregistered 01-08-2013 11:55 PM

Hi, after reading through the moe website, i found out that all applicants must go through the Entrance Profiency Test. Ministry of Education, Singapore: Teaching as a Career: Applying to be a Teacher: Entrance Proficiency Test

Question is, how can i prepare for it?

Unregistered 02-08-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40682)
Hi, after reading through the moe website, i found out that all applicants must go through the Entrance Profiency Test. Ministry of Education, Singapore: Teaching as a Career: Applying to be a Teacher: Entrance Proficiency Test

Question is, how can i prepare for it?

Not all applicant needs to take the EPT.

quote from their website:

"Exemption Criteria

Candidates who fulfil any of the criteria below are exempted from the EL EPT.

Honours degree / Pass with merit / Pass degree graduates / Final year undergraduates with English Language or English Literature as the major Subject OR
Applicants who scored at least a Grade B3 in General Paper (English) / Grade B in H1 General Paper / Grade B in H2 Knowledge and Inquiry at the GCE ‘A’ Level Examination OR
Applicants who scored at least a Grade B3 in English Language (EL1) at the GCE ‘O’ Level Examination OR
Applicants who scored at least a Grade B3 in English Paper 121, 1120 or 1119 at SPM OR
Applicants who scored at least a Grade 5 in English at the International Baccalaureate Examination OR
Applicants who scored at least an overall cap of 3.5 in English Language in the NUS High School Diploma."

Unregistered 02-08-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40686)
Not all applicant needs to take the EPT.

quote from their website:

"Exemption Criteria

Candidates who fulfil any of the criteria below are exempted from the EL EPT.

Honours degree / Pass with merit / Pass degree graduates / Final year undergraduates with English Language or English Literature as the major Subject OR
Applicants who scored at least a Grade B3 in General Paper (English) / Grade B in H1 General Paper / Grade B in H2 Knowledge and Inquiry at the GCE ‘A’ Level Examination OR
Applicants who scored at least a Grade B3 in English Language (EL1) at the GCE ‘O’ Level Examination OR
Applicants who scored at least a Grade B3 in English Paper 121, 1120 or 1119 at SPM OR
Applicants who scored at least a Grade 5 in English at the International Baccalaureate Examination OR
Applicants who scored at least an overall cap of 3.5 in English Language in the NUS High School Diploma."

Well, sadly i got C6 for Eng in my O'level, and my Honours degree dun have english as a major... any idea on how to pass this?

Unregistered 02-08-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40700)
Well, sadly i got C6 for Eng in my O'level, and my Honours degree dun have english as a major... any idea on how to pass this?

I hate teachers with incompetent english. English is the medium of which you will be teaching, you better get it up to par. Even if you are teaching math or science, you better be able to communicate well with students. Without good communication, no matter how good you are, you will never be able to put your points across. Do all of our children a favor by not applying please.

Unregistered 05-08-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40711)
I hate teachers with incompetent english. English is the medium of which you will be teaching, you better get it up to par. Even if you are teaching math or science, you better be able to communicate well with students. Without good communication, no matter how good you are, you will never be able to put your points across. Do all of our children a favor by not applying please.

Getting C6 for O level english doesnt mean that the poster has bad communication skills. -.-

Unregistered 05-08-2013 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40788)
Getting C6 for O level english doesnt mean that the poster has bad communication skills. -.-

I beg to differ. O level English is too easy. Ever tried A level GP? O level English is damn simple. Don't have to study still can get A2. No good also B4 should be as bad as you can go. C6 is like China/bangla standard.

gingerbreadb0y 05-08-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40711)

Personally, I rather prefer a teacher with passion even though he or she gets only a C6 for english than to get a teacher with A1 english but have no idea what he or she is trying to bring across... Cuz i know eventually, the teacher will somehow make an effort or way to bring the idea across... I met one good english speaking teacher with very bad communication skills ... Totally screwed the subject.

But then it will of course be good to have both passionate and good english speaking ones.

Cheers

Unregistered 07-08-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerbreadb0y (Post 40805)
Personally, I rather prefer a teacher with passion even though he or she gets only a C6 for english than to get a teacher with A1 english but have no idea what he or she is trying to bring across... Cuz i know eventually, the teacher will somehow make an effort or way to bring the idea across... I met one good english speaking teacher with very bad communication skills ... Totally screwed the subject.

But then it will of course be good to have both passionate and good english speaking ones.

Cheers

Totally agree. Most importantly teachers should refrain from using jargons just to show off their english skills.