Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 28-11-2019 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 125787)
Anyone knows how long does it normally takes for an average performer to promote from GEO3 to GEO4? Thanks.

It’s much slower nowadays... I’m a consistent C grader but haven’t been promoted to GEO4. Was promoted to GEO3 in oct 2016

Unregistered 28-11-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 125938)
It’s much slower nowadays... I’m a consistent C grader but haven’t been promoted to GEO4. Was promoted to GEO3 in oct 2016

It has only been 3 years since your last promotion. It’s not slow. It’s normal for most people. The average promotion timeline for most ppl is 4-5 years. Most ppl will have a CEP of SEO1. If that is your CEP and you count the number of years you have in service, how fast do you think you will be promoted?

Unregistered 28-11-2019 08:37 PM

My friend a guy within 5 years from geo3 to geo5 then complete his masters within the next 3 years ... next year going to hq liao ...
He wondering when he will be sh what u all think ?

Unregistered 28-11-2019 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 126045)
My friend a guy within 5 years from geo3 to geo5 then complete his masters within the next 3 years ... next year going to hq liao ...
He wondering when he will be sh what u all think ?

That’s fast. Must be school doesn’t have vacancy and that’s why he got posted to HQ. Based on his substantive grade, he may even come out as HOD after his HQ stint. If GEO5, most bosses will push for HOD when he completes his HQ stint.

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 29-11-2019 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 125964)
It has only been 3 years since your last promotion. It’s not slow. It’s normal for most people. The average promotion timeline for most ppl is 4-5 years. Most ppl will have a CEP of SEO1. If that is your CEP and you count the number of years you have in service, how fast do you think you will be promoted?

Fully agree. It is not like annual increment where you get promoted yearly. Even for consistent top performers (e.g. A B A etc). In my years of working in the school, I have not heard of 1-year promotions from GEO 3 to GEO 4. Maybe you misread as GEO 2 to GEO 3 (That would be more common due to Male-NS etc.).

Must remember, a generic teacher's pay ceiling is usually within the GEO 5 range (7k+). You have to be considered for a position for SEO 1 hence many teachers will probably just hit GEO 5 and remain there as it is also where they have passed the 'chionging phase' and will not 'chiong' so much in their career due to other commitments (e.g. family).

So if most teachers end off at GEO 5, unless your CEP is high with consistent good performance or at least a mix of above average and good, then I would say you can hope to get your GEO 3 - 4 in less than 3 years. Average GEO 3 - 4 for average performers is usually 3 - 5 years, or longer if you were emplaced onto GEO 2/3 from previous diploma. Many factors come into play actually which I myself am also not in the know. Best way is, ask around and find out from friendlier colleagues to gather more data :)

Unregistered 29-11-2019 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 126052)
That’s fast. Must be school doesn’t have vacancy and that’s why he got posted to HQ. Based on his substantive grade, he may even come out as HOD after his HQ stint. If GEO5, most bosses will push for HOD when he completes his HQ stint.

Think he apply for the post and got selected after interview
Not the school sent
Haha

Unregistered 29-11-2019 11:11 AM

I believe my CEP should be GEO 5? I obtained my general SUSS degree on part time basis and got emplaced from the old Div 2 GEO grade onto GEO 1A1 and subsequently GEO 3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 125840)
Depends on your CEP and whether you kena any C- or D.

Fastest 1 year, longest really depends...

Unregistered 29-11-2019 11:17 AM

Are you referring to those who got emplaced from Div 2 onto Div 1 w/o getting a degree?

I got emplaced from Div 2 onto Div 1 after getting my degree. Do I belong to the longer group or normal group?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher (Post 126077)
Average GEO 3 - 4 for average performers is usually 3 - 5 years, or longer if you were emplaced onto GEO 2/3 from previous diploma.

Unregistered 29-11-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 125935)
The author mentioned average performer, so definitely not 1 year.

I would say that it would take on average 3 years for C graders.

Really depends from school to school. I have seen teachers who are/were stuck for 5 to 6 years st GEO 3.i

If you have C- or worse, be prepared for promotion to be delayed by at least 3 years before one could be considered for promotion.

Unregistered 29-11-2019 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 125938)

Yup its much slower these days but your CEP also plays a big role. Prior promotion from geo 3 to 4, I waited for 3 years. Consistent default grade back then.