Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 23-08-2019, 11:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am looking to purchase practicum materials for upper/lower secondary biology and Chemistry resources.
Please contact me @ [email protected]

If found out, both the seller and buyer will get into serious trouble. Talking about plagiarism.

Heard from a junior colleague that one of the friend's friend kena jialat jialat in nie...

Old 25-08-2019, 12:07 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Just an observation. I have a cousin and also a friend who are both teachers. I find them very stubborn and argumentative when we dont share the same views. Is it a work habit to admonish anything that is not in tandem with their beliefs?
I'm not trying to offend any group of people in particular, but I do find that teachers who are older and have spent more years in service, as well as very religious teachers who act like this. Not statistically proven, just from my own personal observations.

And there's pretty much nothing we can do about it. I just try to steer clear of such people.

Old 25-08-2019, 12:30 PM
Unregistered

Just to check MOE bonus 3 times a year right? (Dec, march & jul?).. is there any other flexi benefits other then medical, telephone and recreation places?, other monetary benefits?

Old 25-08-2019, 11:19 PM
Ranking

Default Ranking

Hi Teachers I’m being caught by few HODs about the AFIs of my work after ranking. They said nothing happened and it’s just “clarification stage” . However, it’s worrying. May I please ask how is the ranking done and what period SMC are doing ranking. Thank you.
Old 28-08-2019, 07:24 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Language teachers especially EL are really in great shortage island wide.. The marking for EL is really...

There are teachers who are totally burnt out and left the service... If you get a first in law, you may want to join poly and be a lecturer.. Better work life balance..
I see I see. Thanks for the input, it's most helpful. I didn't know EL teachers are in great shortage, my impression was that there are too many!
Old 01-09-2019, 04:12 PM
Unregistered

Default Priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranking View Post
Hi Teachers I’m being caught by few HODs about the AFIs of my work after ranking. They said nothing happened and it’s just “clarification stage” . However, it’s worrying. May I please ask how is the ranking done and what period SMC are doing ranking. Thank you.
Caught by a few HODs? You will need to reflect on your current practice so that you do not shortchange your students. That will also spare you the agony of worrying over appraisal.

If your RO wishes to give you a negative appraisal, he/she would have given you a heads-up so that you have time to rectify the AFIs. Ranking is usually done around this period.

Please take note that it doesn't mean you can skivve and do nothing after ranking period if there is a need to, your P can still 'update' your appraisal even after ranking has been carried out.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 01-09-2019, 04:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
No, there is no "default C". The problem is the rankings need to be fitted on a curve. So there needs to be "enough people getting C". That's why for freshly promoted officers who are good, but are not super duper outstanding in the year after their promotion, we let them fill the quota for average performers.

However, there are people who continue to shine so brightly and outstandingly and they do get better performance grades regardless of when they were last promoted. What I've seen is.. the most common kind are high performing BTs (regardless of scholar status) who work very hard and smart; they contribute at a very high level as a freshly promoted GEO3 and can really outshine the more lao jiao GEO3s and consequently get C+ and B even in the year they get their GEO3.
I disagree with what was being said. Giving newly promoted officers a C is not for the purpose of filling up the C slots. It is to pace the officers. I have seen teachers who are promoted too fast and ended up not being able to meet the KRAs.

Your second paragraph is true. Basically, one needs to show the aptitude and attitude to take on greater responsibilities. With that saud, it will be wise to learn to say no. Else, one rusks being burnt out.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Caught by a few HODs? You will need to reflect on your current practice so that you do not shortchange your students. That will also spare you the agony of worrying over appraisal.

If your RO wishes to give you a negative appraisal, he/she would have given you a heads-up so that you have time to rectify the AFIs. Ranking is usually done around this period.

Please take note that it doesn't mean you can skivve and do nothing after ranking period if there is a need to, your P can still 'update' your appraisal even after ranking has been carried out.
Hi thank you for your reply. I’m in charge of few projects and also leading niche CCA in my school. However, KPs came and talk about my communication with the only one particular KP and I tend to do work on my own, which is not true.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi thank you for your reply. I’m in charge of few projects and also leading niche CCA in my school. However, KPs came and talk about my communication with the only one particular KP and I tend to do work on my own, which is not true.
That one KP can deal lots of damage. Steer clear of his/her path and maintain a cordial relationship. Try to justify yourself in a manner that doesn't suggest that KP was picking on you. Unless there was a major conflict, your appraisal should turn out just fine.

With that said, sometimes it is not about how much you do. PR , especially with the KPs, is vital if you wish to end up somewhere. Your RO also plays a critical role in determining how you will be appraised. Some ROs are defenceless in front of the other more senior KPs. They rather keep quiet than to give the JHs their due recognition. There are also KPs who will harp on minor issues just because he/she doesn't see eye to eye with a particular JH. Sad but true.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 10-09-2019, 04:03 PM

zfrhhh is on a distinguished road

hi i applied for pgde on 23rd march, was offered pri eng/math, received an email that i was shortlisted on 14th june, went for the interview on the 8th of july, was asked to indicate my availability for EPT but in the end, i wasn't required to sit for the EPT, received an email regarding of possible offer of appointment as GEO on the 24th of July and received an email asking me to attend a medical checkup by 12 september. those who had gone through this, am i considered in already?