Career as Teacher - Page 176 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 18-07-2019, 12:08 AM
Unregistered

Default Heading for Interview (SH) in November 2019

Hi, so i'm finally going for my interview for SH in November.

This is quite nerve wrecking for me. Any kind soul who has had the experience can guide me on some of possible questions asked at the interview.

Also, about the Personal statement -

any examples or what it should encompass.

My RO is like taking forever to show me the form or even guide me.

I would like to have a head start.

Thank you!

Old 18-07-2019, 11:17 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, I'm a teacher right from the start. I've seen colleagues who switched mid-career. It depends on what the individual wants.

I've seen those who quit and those who stayed. Among the stayers, some become really strong teachers - the kind colleagues love to send their children to. On the other hand... Some become really shitty teachers who continue to stay in service.

Information about teachers' work and life are publicly available through news reports and less reliably, forums like this. Can Google a bit.

The way you phrased your question - is life indeed better - where did you get the information that life is better? From the private sector?
Hey, thanks for answering, was the OP

Yes true, some teacher friends/friends of friends shared problems similar to the news reports on tough parents

While some also shared they appreciate the Long hols (though yes they have to return to school from time to time during the hols, and travelling overseas during the hols is also more expensive)

So all in all, wanted a more into the field kinda perspective

Thanks for sharing

Old 18-07-2019, 03:50 PM
Unregistered

Where is the moderator?

Old 18-07-2019, 03:55 PM
Unregistered

Default Connect Plan and Performance

Dear all,

Just like to ask something, is Connect Plan and Performance related?

I tried checking and been hearing different stories. I tried checking the Singapore Teachers' Union also and saw this...

"The CONNECT Plan is specially designed to encourage continuity, experience and commitment in teaching. Implemented on 1 January 2002, the Ministry put aside a sum of money ranging from $2 000 to $4 800 each year for every eligible officer.

To be eligible for the deposit for a particular year, the officer’s performance for that year must meet the requirements of his substantive grade. Payouts will be given out at defined points every 3 to 5 years of the officer’s career."

The officer's performance for that year must meet the requirements of his substantive grade. So, will a C- affect it?

Please advise. Thank you.
Old 18-07-2019, 06:44 PM
Unregistered

heard a rumour that connect plan is teacher's performance bonus that got 'held back'

reason being, in MOE the performance bonus for a C grade is 1.5 but for other ministries it's 2.5 months. so that one extra months goes into the connect plan pay out
Old 18-07-2019, 06:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

This is quite nerve wrecking for me. Any kind soul who has had the experience can guide me on some of possible questions asked at the interview.

Thank you!
Congratulations! You can find the relevant forms on HR online. I just went for my cluster interview this month. As long as you show that you have the knowledge, you are passionate, humble to learn and able to lead, you should be able to clear the interview. Some questions that I was asked:
- Why leadership role? They also gave me scenarios and asked me how would I resolve it.
- What is my take on the subject area that I am leading?
- How would I lead my department to be on board on the same vision as me?
- What is my vision/short term and long term goals for my department and how do I plan to achieve it.

In all your answers, you will inevitably bring in your experiences and how you are able to tap on your experiences to bring across your vision.

Good luck!

Old 18-07-2019, 06:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
heard a rumour that connect plan is teacher's performance bonus that got 'held back'

reason being, in MOE the performance bonus for a C grade is 1.5 but for other ministries it's 2.5 months. so that one extra months goes into the connect plan pay out
Not true. Each ministry is actually given a sum of money for bonus. MOE, being the ministry with the largest number of officers, will therefore see a lesser quantum as compared to other ministries. If we have fewer officers, then our bonus may increase.
Old 18-07-2019, 10:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Thank you!
Your SL will prepare you for the interview. Role clarity is important for SH/LH interview. As for the personal statement, write what resonates with you. Your beliefs, what you aspire etc. Don't have to be too fanciful. They might ask you questions based on what you write.
Old 23-07-2019, 08:42 PM
Unregistered

Hi, I'm not very sure how I should phrase this, but I'm sure these are quite common problems everywhere.

1. RO likes to dump work on people. RO's pattern is, if you don't have a good reason not to do it, then you should still do it, despite it seeming unfair when others in the department don't have the same workload. And for the people who do it well, they find even more work getting dumped on them to fulfil the department's KPI.

In such scenarios, I don't really know how I should react. Should I keep arguing about unfairness? I've tried explaining nicely, and I knew it was pointless when my RO's response was "Hope you can understand...blahblah". Should I escalate, yet risk my performance grade by my RO?

2. There are some experienced teachers who are extremely close to their own RO, other KPs and STs. I can already see that they don't have to worry much about progression, or having large workloads because of this. However, what's worse is when they feel "threatened" about other people's performance, and try to bring them down by spreading rumours or reporting every little thing to the RO. For teachers, the risk of getting warnings/termination is much higher than other jobs from every little *POSSIBILITY* of accidents/reports, and what's worse is whistleblowing isn't considered an offence if an officer deems it suitable to report (no consequences for whistleblowing). How do you deal with these situations?

3. Students hate their teacher/teacher's teaching style. Comes to find me for help. Sometimes I don't know whether to pity them or to tell them off, because students always seem to be the biggest losers in such controversial situations. Yet if I keep helping them, it not only adds on stress and responsibility to myself, it also embarrasses the other teacher (regardless of whether they really care or not). This is even more dangerous when the other teacher is my RO. How would you deal with this?
Old 25-07-2019, 11:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi, I'm not very sure how I should phrase this, but I'm sure these are quite common problems everywhere.

1. RO likes to dump work on people. RO's pattern is, if you don't have a good reason not to do it, then you should still do it, despite it seeming unfair when others in the department don't have the same workload. And for the people who do it well, they find even more work getting dumped on them to fulfil the department's KPI.

In such scenarios, I don't really know how I should react. Should I keep arguing about unfairness? I've tried explaining nicely, and I knew it was pointless when my RO's response was "Hope you can understand...blahblah". Should I escalate, yet risk my performance grade by my RO?

2. There are some experienced teachers who are extremely close to their own RO, other KPs and STs. I can already see that they don't have to worry much about progression, or having large workloads because of this. However, what's worse is when they feel "threatened" about other people's performance, and try to bring them down by spreading rumours or reporting every little thing to the RO. For teachers, the risk of getting warnings/termination is much higher than other jobs from every little *POSSIBILITY* of accidents/reports, and what's worse is whistleblowing isn't considered an offence if an officer deems it suitable to report (no consequences for whistleblowing). How do you deal with these situations?

3. Students hate their teacher/teacher's teaching style. Comes to find me for help. Sometimes I don't know whether to pity them or to tell them off, because students always seem to be the biggest losers in such controversial situations. Yet if I keep helping them, it not only adds on stress and responsibility to myself, it also embarrasses the other teacher (regardless of whether they really care or not). This is even more dangerous when the other teacher is my RO. How would you deal with this?
This is adulting. I think it’s impossible to tell you what you should do. Naturally RO will give work to people whom they know can deliver because it is their duty to make sure work gets done. If they are fair, they will naturally give you a better PB. If you fine that after a while you really hate the task since you are not being appreciated, then decline it politely. It is really sad that people are losing the moral courage to say no to things that they don’t believe in doing.

If you find that you really want to do the task but you are overloaded, try to then rally your fellow colleagues to do the task with you. If it is ultimately for the benefit of the children/students, I do not see why educators will say no unless they do not believe that what you are doing will benefit them. Rally them and get the buy in. If you can do it and your HOD can’t, then your SLs will naturally see that you are a better leader.

As for students who find you for help, never entertain them about their teachers’ teaching style. Never ever talk back about your colleagues especially in front of students. It is ultimately your choice to help the students or not. If it is deep down within your passion to help them, then go ahead. But the students must not be skipping your colleague’s lesson to seek help from you. You must know that all these are above and beyond your job scope. If you want to help them, it is because you want to. You can simply reject the students if you do not wish to help them. You must remember that you are only human. Teacher is not god. You cannot help everyone.

As for colleagues spreading rumours, ppl will have eyes to judge for themselves. Time and results will prove that you are capable if you are always doing your job well. Be confident about yourself so that people will know that it is not easy to mess with you.