Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 25-05-2019 11:43 AM

Advice

I have been around Long enough, including being at Hq, to know how it works. Remember that this is the civil service and worse still the teacving service. Know that it IS YOUR ROs job to develop you to achieve your aspirations. Scholar can non scholar makes no diff. I have seen a non Hons grad progress as fast as scholars and in a JC. Can you believe that? No not kidding . It’s just that the majority are stuck in complaining rather than realising this fact.

Observe ur school environment . Which committee bosses are always fighting for their staff? Which committee are always getting the attention of the Ps and VPs? I heard student council is a very good choice in some places . Which HODs? Do what u can to join the gang. Discuss school issues with your P and VP - with a positive spin of course! If a new initiative is working for eg. And of course work hard. I know of teachers, not many of course, who work hard every nite till 12 midnite and on weekends. Join an extra committee. And never step on anybody’s toes- definitely not anyone who sits on the ranking panel but also anyone in general as that persons bff may be on the ranking panel .

It works .

Unregistered 25-05-2019 04:30 PM

Gratitude

U are not being a grateful person. There are countless GEo3, 4 and 5 who slog for their kids. I am on GEO 4 - even in a year where I was threatened with a D, I was slogging for my kids each evening . Conscience dictates . So KPs like itself who earn far fatter pay checks should not idealise the life of lesser mortals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 118451)
I chanced upon this forum and just wanted to rant. Had been a few lousy weeks in school:(

I joined teaching in 2004. Currently, I am a SEO for the third year. Out of my whole career, I got C+ twice when I got posted to HQ I am not a scholar but I would assume my CEP is relatively high. My P did not tell me my CEP but he did share that my CEP was the highest among all KP in the cluster (CEP of cluster is decided at the cluster level).

For those of you who are keen to pursue the leadership track, you need to have the stamina. Honestly, right now, I feel jaded because I know I will remain a KP till I retire. Work only increases. I kinda envy the GEO 5 teachers who have less responsibilities and get to go home early. My average working hours are at least 12 hours on weekdays. Most times, I need to bring work home. My current school gives me alot of responsibilities because backend SLs would know my CEP which I assume would be higher than the rest of the KPs in my current school as well. I have an advantage as well because I am a HOD and there are a number of the SHs in my school who are also SEO1. So in a way, my ranking will be on top of them due to the nature of my work. But alot of times, its just the able and willing who gets more work. The additional bonus I get from my Bs does not make me happy.

The whole promotion pathways are now stuck as there are too few vacancies and if there are, they are usually reserved for scholars. So those who are not scholars will hardly stand a chance. For those of you who have seen the list of Ps which usually comes out when P rotates schools, there are only 3 VPs who got promoted to become P. So progression for VPs are also slower.

And I would also like to share for two officers producing the same quality of work, the one with the higher CEP will be ranked above so that his promotion will be faster so that you can reach your CEP when you retire (better grade = better performance). So yes, CEP quickens your promotion and at the same time, gives you an edge for your ranking.

Unregistered 26-05-2019 04:44 PM

ranking panel

may I know who sits on the ranking panel? apart from SLs. Thanks

Unregistered 26-05-2019 09:13 PM

Often the entire EXCO/SMC, though I've heard sometimes it's just the HODs/ROs.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 119442)
may I know who sits on the ranking panel? apart from SLs. Thanks

Unregistered 27-05-2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 119240)
I reckoned that you just went for the interview.. that's how I landed up in this thread.
I read from the earliest post.
One person posted it's $300 per month but it's only given at the end of the year..

I was a HOD at GEO4. My Responsibility Allowance (for holding a SEO appointment as a GEO officer) was $4,200/year... I think it dropped to $2,800/year when I was promoted to GEO5.

Unregistered 27-05-2019 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 119451)
Often the entire EXCO/SMC, though I've heard sometimes it's just the HODs/ROs.

If it's the ranking panel for all the GEO teachers, then the entire SMT sits in the panel.

Sometimes, the SLs may also convene a separate 'internal panel' for the HODs, Year Heads and SSD to provide input on the SEO officers under their charge (usually SH/LH/ST).

Unregistered 30-05-2019 03:26 PM

Is it hard for private uni students to get in?

Hi everyone, I recently sat for my final paper under SIM-UOL and I'm applying for this window's PGDE program. Based on my past two years results I've secured second upper and I'm most likely going to graduate with first class honours.

I've been teaching tuition on the side for a few years now and consistently volunteer with kids, so I truly do have a passion for teaching. I've been scouring this forum for awhile now and noticed that most teachers are local u grads. Does anyone know what's the likelihood of a successful application for private uni graduates based on your past experience or colleagues? :)

I've been trying to beef up my application (primary school EMS) with referral letters from teachers and I just hope that I'll get a chance to be interviewed!

Thanks in advance!

Unregistered 30-05-2019 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 119403)
U are not being a grateful person. There are countless GEo3, 4 and 5 who slog for their kids. I am on GEO 4 - even in a year where I was threatened with a D, I was slogging for my kids each evening . Conscience dictates . So KPs like itself who earn far fatter pay checks should not idealise the life of lesser mortals.

Hi,

Im curious what makes you say that I am an ungrateful person and what makes you think I am not slogging for my kids. I specifically told MOE to post me to high need schools, which are schools with children from low SES. I told this to the HR officer for all of my postings.

So for teachers like you who likes to jump to conclusions, I can understand why you are threatened with a D. :)

Unregistered 31-05-2019 10:20 PM

Difference between April and October promotion period

Hi all! Need some help here. I received news of my promotion this year but my SL said that it will only take effect in October. But my other BT friends are all promoted with effect from 01 April. Anyone can advise and share what’s the difference between these two promotion periods? My friends and I have received the same performance grades for the last two years so I’m not sure why I’m promoted later than them...

Unregistered 01-06-2019 11:47 AM

Same batch right? I don't know for sure, but any chance you're different gender from the friends you're comparing with? Have noticed that for my batch, the guys seem to be getting Oct promotion while the ladies get Apr. No idea why.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 119789)
Hi all! Need some help here. I received news of my promotion this year but my SL said that it will only take effect in October. But my other BT friends are all promoted with effect from 01 April. Anyone can advise and share what’s the difference between these two promotion periods? My friends and I have received the same performance grades for the last two years so I’m not sure why I’m promoted later than them...