Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 08-05-2019 11:02 AM

I chanced upon this forum and just wanted to rant. Had been a few lousy weeks in school:(

I joined teaching in 2004. Currently, I am a SEO for the third year. Out of my whole career, I got C+ twice when I got posted to HQ I am not a scholar but I would assume my CEP is relatively high. My P did not tell me my CEP but he did share that my CEP was the highest among all KP in the cluster (CEP of cluster is decided at the cluster level).

For those of you who are keen to pursue the leadership track, you need to have the stamina. Honestly, right now, I feel jaded because I know I will remain a KP till I retire. Work only increases. I kinda envy the GEO 5 teachers who have less responsibilities and get to go home early. My average working hours are at least 12 hours on weekdays. Most times, I need to bring work home. My current school gives me alot of responsibilities because backend SLs would know my CEP which I assume would be higher than the rest of the KPs in my current school as well. I have an advantage as well because I am a HOD and there are a number of the SHs in my school who are also SEO1. So in a way, my ranking will be on top of them due to the nature of my work. But alot of times, its just the able and willing who gets more work. The additional bonus I get from my Bs does not make me happy.

The whole promotion pathways are now stuck as there are too few vacancies and if there are, they are usually reserved for scholars. So those who are not scholars will hardly stand a chance. For those of you who have seen the list of Ps which usually comes out when P rotates schools, there are only 3 VPs who got promoted to become P. So progression for VPs are also slower.

And I would also like to share for two officers producing the same quality of work, the one with the higher CEP will be ranked above so that his promotion will be faster so that you can reach your CEP when you retire (better grade = better performance). So yes, CEP quickens your promotion and at the same time, gives you an edge for your ranking.

Unregistered 10-05-2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 118451)
I chanced upon this forum and just wanted to rant. Had been a few lousy weeks in school:(

I joined teaching in 2004. Currently, I am a SEO for the third year. Out of my whole career, I got C+ twice when I got posted to HQ I am not a scholar but I would assume my CEP is relatively high. My P did not tell me my CEP but he did share that my CEP was the highest among all KP in the cluster (CEP of cluster is decided at the cluster level).

For those of you who are keen to pursue the leadership track, you need to have the stamina. Honestly, right now, I feel jaded because I know I will remain a KP till I retire. Work only increases. I kinda envy the GEO 5 teachers who have less responsibilities and get to go home early. My average working hours are at least 12 hours on weekdays. Most times, I need to bring work home. My current school gives me alot of responsibilities because backend SLs would know my CEP which I assume would be higher than the rest of the KPs in my current school as well. I have an advantage as well because I am a HOD and there are a number of the SHs in my school who are also SEO1. So in a way, my ranking will be on top of them due to the nature of my work. But alot of times, its just the able and willing who gets more work. The additional bonus I get from my Bs does not make me happy.

The whole promotion pathways are now stuck as there are too few vacancies and if there are, they are usually reserved for scholars. So those who are not scholars will hardly stand a chance. For those of you who have seen the list of Ps which usually comes out when P rotates schools, there are only 3 VPs who got promoted to become P. So progression for VPs are also slower.

And I would also like to share for two officers producing the same quality of work, the one with the higher CEP will be ranked above so that his promotion will be faster so that you can reach your CEP when you retire (better grade = better performance). So yes, CEP quickens your promotion and at the same time, gives you an edge for your ranking.

This really sucks... but to "hang" and not promote at geo 3 despite not committing any offences and having my hod saying I'm doing well and good. But all I get is a C cos of cep...it sucks... it reeks of unfair remuneration..

Btw...do HOds know their jobholders cep?

Unregistered 10-05-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Thank you for your detailed explanation. It sucks to be honest that even though you didn't make a mistake... have your Hod say you are doing well and all and to get a C due to cep. Then being stuck at geo 3 ceiling again due to cep. This reeks of unfair remuneration and so much for clean wages and all.

I think you shed more light than my own hod cos when I asked... all I got was I dont know. I wonder what kind of a HOD I have. Maybe an incompetent one.

Unregistered 10-05-2019 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 118554)
Thank you for your detailed explanation. It sucks to be honest that even though you didn't make a mistake... have your Hod say you are doing well and all and to get a C due to cep. Then being stuck at geo 3 ceiling again due to cep. This reeks of unfair remuneration and so much for clean wages and all.

I think you shed more light than my own hod cos when I asked... all I got was I dont know. I wonder what kind of a HOD I have. Maybe an incompetent one.

This is the harsh reality of civil service. Look beyond the recognition. On the positive side, if you are a geo3, go home punctually after sch. Don't stay back for extra lessons. Do the minimum required. Rmb, you are just a human being after all. Spend more time on what makes you happy.

Unregistered 10-05-2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

For those of you who are keen to pursue the leadership track, you need to have the stamina. Honestly, right now, I feel jaded because I know I will remain a KP till I retire. Work only increases. I kinda envy the GEO 5 teachers who have less responsibilities and get to go home early.

This really hit home for me... in a similar position as well. Wondering whether it's really worthwhile to go on as KP...

Unregistered 10-05-2019 09:58 PM

HOD by right should definitely know what is discussed at the ranking panel. Such a response indicates... either really forgotten already (!?!) or he doesn't want to tell you? Either way, don't think it's fair to you.

If you're at a stage where you're not too concerned about ruffling feathers, you could consider asking VP about the situation instead...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 118554)

Unregistered 11-05-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 118560)
HOD by right should definitely know what is discussed at the ranking panel. Such a response indicates... either really forgotten already (!?!) or he doesn't want to tell you? Either way, don't think it's fair to you.

If you're at a stage where you're not too concerned about ruffling feathers, you could consider asking VP about the situation instead...

I went direct to P during the 1 to 1 session with P that all staff must go. P said I didn't have any C- or D. Is cos time in geo 3 too short... I just finish 4 years this April in geo 3. P also said Male starting pay higher and I finish my masters so starting already much higher so can hit ceiling... think also a bit BS.

I gathered that my cep is low...

Unregistered 11-05-2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 118556)
This is the harsh reality of civil service. Look beyond the recognition. On the positive side, if you are a geo3, go home punctually after sch. Don't stay back for extra lessons. Do the minimum required. Rmb, you are just a human being after all. Spend more time on what makes you happy.

Ya... as long no official remedial or what not... I just leave... since hit ceiling.. next year also no have merit increment... do also is like do for free... might as well go home koon.

Super wasting my time in sch...

Unregistered 11-05-2019 03:52 PM

Hi. This is the jaded KP earlier.

In the system for 15 years. I have 1 C, 2 C+, 1A, 11 Bs, throughout my span of career. The C was in my BT year. It was the default grade. So those KPs telling you that 'Oh you are just promoted, so you will get default C for this year ranking'. It is NOT true. During those years when I was just promoted, I never got a default C. I got Bs. Even in HQ when I received my SEO, I was given a C+. So yes, CEP is important and thats why during KP ranking at cluster, some Ps will fight tooth and nail for their KPs.

Sometimes, I feel that my CEP is my bane. It opens up opportunities which others do not have. :( But its a vicious cycle. More responsibilities = more work and if work is good = more responsibilities. And yet, I will never be promoted further because I am not scholar.

Unregistered 11-05-2019 04:51 PM

do teachers get paid extra for having a master's?

what is the starting salary for UT, FCH local male - 3.8k, for entry to NIE? can anyhow share please?

considering if i should do a masters before going pursuing a career in teaching! :)