Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 19-03-2019 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115060)
Of course not but it is not easy to get a B. I have been getting a few C & C+ before managing a B & better grade.

Agree. As a GEO3 or lower, it is difficult to get B, because

i) your school must "invest" in you opportunities to excel
ii) you must also prove yourself more capable than your peers

When you are a GEO4, there will be more opportunities presented where you can do well. Again, this is subjected to the school and at times, having a supportive RO who might recommend you for projects, etc.

Unregistered 19-03-2019 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115113)
Hi, anyone with experience on the ranking panel can shed light on this: is there a bell curve for A, B, C+, C and so on for every GEO ranked? i.e. there must be someone getting an A from that particular GEO and some getting B and so on? are the numbers of A and Bs etc definitely lower than the number of C+, C and C-? Tks!

Yes, there is a bell curve for each grade and no, you are not required to give an A. There is a cap to the number of As and Bs. I think most schools would generally not be too generous with the As unless they strongly believe that there is one/two officers that performs way better than the Bs.

This was shared on an earlier:
c: 1.5
c+: 2.0-2.2
b: 2.25 - 2.75
a: 3

Bear in mind that the quantum amt differs for each grade and giving 3 x to an A grader would mean B graders might get lesser. It might be wiser to give the best officer a 2.75 (high B) than an A grade, which would take away 0.25 which can be distributed to the other officers.

That quantum would be better spent differentiating between your C+ and B, which can differ as little as 0.05.

Unregistered 19-03-2019 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115140)
Yes, there is a bell curve for each grade and no, you are not required to give an A. There is a cap to the number of As and Bs. I think most schools would generally not be too generous with the As unless they strongly believe that there is one/two officers that performs way better than the Bs.

This was shared on an earlier:
c: 1.5
c+: 2.0-2.2
b: 2.25 - 2.75
a: 3

Bear in mind that the quantum amt differs for each grade and giving 3 x to an A grader would mean B graders might get lesser. It might be wiser to give the best officer a 2.75 (high B) than an A grade, which would take away 0.25 which can be distributed to the other officers.

That quantum would be better spent differentiating between your C+ and B, which can differ as little as 0.05.

*Edited the table based on what someone shared earlier*
c: 1.25 - 1.75
c+: 2.0-2.2
b: 2.25 - 2.75
a: 3

Unregistered 19-03-2019 11:13 PM

Hi, is it true that you will be promoted to the next grade (Geo 3 to 4 onwards) when you have 2 years of consecutive Bs after an initial C+ in the year of promotion? Which means the fastest rate that you can go from Geo 3 to 4/ 4 to 5 is 2 years?

Unregistered 20-03-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115153)
Hi, is it true that you will be promoted to the next grade (Geo 3 to 4 onwards) when you have 2 years of consecutive Bs after an initial C+ in the year of promotion? Which means the fastest rate that you can go from Geo 3 to 4/ 4 to 5 is 2 years?

Hi, not really. It seems like itís possible to be promoted in consecutive years. Look at Pg 135 of this thread.

Unregistered 20-03-2019 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115161)
Hi, not really. It seems like itís possible to be promoted in consecutive years. Look at Pg 135 of this thread.

Oh, are such promotions in consecutive years only for special cases like mid-career switch or very high-flying scholars? The others, even if they are getting good grades like C+ and B, will need to have minimum number of years at every grade?

Unregistered 20-03-2019 06:55 PM

PB
 
If I did my practicum in the first term and joined the school in the second term, will my PB be pro-rated?

Unregistered 20-03-2019 09:36 PM

Nope
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115132)
As a dip grad, there is some disadvantages, and slower promotion. But Even a degree holder may not cross geo 3 to 4 within 5 years.

But if you quit, what are your options outside?

Now no more differentiation between dip and degree holders since all on the generic sub grade from geo 3 to geo 5

Unregistered 20-03-2019 09:40 PM

Pro rated pb
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115197)
If I did my practicum in the first term and joined the school in the second term, will my PB be pro-rated?

When you are on training, your PB will be pro rated as you are not performing and contributing.

Unregistered 20-03-2019 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115153)
Hi, is it true that you will be promoted to the next grade (Geo 3 to 4 onwards) when you have 2 years of consecutive Bs after an initial C+ in the year of promotion? Which means the fastest rate that you can go from Geo 3 to 4/ 4 to 5 is 2 years?

Can be promoted. Not necessarily will be promoted.
There is no hard and fast rule for Promotion , but to be promoted, certain criteria need to be met. But meeting those criteria , or exceeding them, does not imply a confirmed promotion.


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2