Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 10-08-2018 02:57 PM

hi, i'm in my mid 30s making ~$150k pa

how massive a paycut will i have to take if i go into teaching?

Unregistered 10-08-2018 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 109499)

If no teaching experience at all, mentally prepared to take pay cut of at least 50 percent.

Unregistered 11-08-2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 109482)
whoa i never knew about this.

but what i'm more concerned about is if let's say - 5 teachers including you are teaching the same level. the "Actual MSG" by the class for EOY was worst for your class, but only slightly below "Expected MSG". for this case, is it possible for the RO to give you a lower performance grade as compared to the other 4 colleagues?

I don't think so. From statistic point of view, while Expected msg stated is an absolute decimal, the generation of this expected msg from psle score or grade is at best an approximation and definitely will have its uncertainty.

There is bound to have uncertainty. If say your class avg expected msg is 3.1, and actual is 3.3. I don't think you will be faulted. As it may not be significantly different from the expected. Which the expectations was built on equations that may have error. But say your actual is 4.5 and expected is 3.1. your colleagues classes are also having expected 3.1 but they get actual 2.9 then maybe something is wrong.

But a consistent underperformance below expected across time and space *(different batches and classes) may be significant.

Unregistered 11-08-2018 07:44 AM

Quote:

At least a 40 percent. But you cannot think of the 40% as something negative. Civil service is life long employment. You can work till 65.

In the corporate world by the time you are 40s, and you don't keep up to date , very easy to get retrenched and you also lose your 150k pa.

Must think long term

Unregistered 11-08-2018 08:56 AM

Quote:

wow. i would try my very best to maintain and keep up to date. wouldn't prefer going into teaching tbh.

many mid-careers actually don't like it very much.

Unregistered 11-08-2018 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 109516)
I don't think so. From statistic point of view, while Expected msg stated is an absolute decimal, the generation of this expected msg from psle score or grade is at best an approximation and definitely will have its uncertainty.

There is bound to have uncertainty. If say your class avg expected msg is 3.1, and actual is 3.3. I don't think you will be faulted. As it may not be significantly different from the expected. Which the expectations was built on equations that may have error. But say your actual is 4.5 and expected is 3.1. your colleagues classes are also having expected 3.1 but they get actual 2.9 then maybe something is wrong.

But a consistent underperformance below expected across time and space *(different batches and classes) may be significant.

so usually, only consistently underperforming for student grades (as compared to colleagues teaching the same level, of course) will result in a bad performance grade?

i assume other commitments/work such as CCA, projects, committees may also help to pull up the bad grades?

Unregistered 12-08-2018 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridhwan1820 (Post 109454)
going a bit off course here but i hope i can get my queries addressed. I hope there are some HRs here in the civil service department.

Can i ask how exactly is the hiring process conducted? Is the hiring determined by one person or a couple of people? How much can prejudice factor in when deciding the best person for the job? Yes i am talking about race. Is hiring really done based on meritocracy?

I have been applying for close to 100+ jobs in the goverment portal website since i had graduated with a 1st class honors from ntu last year (i was even a 4-time dean lister with a near perfect score). And yes i am a singaporean, albeit i am a minority. Out of the 100+ jobs so far, i had been invited for an interview thrice, failing to get any job offers so far. And no I didnt put too high an expected salary (3.2k - 3.5k which is near or below market rate) and no i dont think i lack presentation skills either. And no there is nothing wrong with my resume either - i had it checked by friends and a professional. And no, i only applied for jobs relevant to my degree unless is is stated that they consider any degree.

Is there favouritism in the public sector? are there directives that HR has to adhere to when recruiting in order to ensure fair employment practices? I am thinking of giving up hope in applying for a civil service job and try my luck in the private sector instead.

Hope to get views from HRs and maybe minority job applicants who were successful before. - no bashing please, just need advise.

For you, you are better off being a researcher.. continue with your masters and PhD.

Being dean's list, FCH even from NUS/NTU means nothing if you have no EQ or cannot work.. Have seen people like that. Even scholars, even my own relatives as well. Oops..

Unregistered 13-08-2018 11:40 AM

MOE School Counsellor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 95957)
Hi everyone,

i have been shortlisted for the of Moe counsellor, just wondering if anyone knows what is the pay like for this position for a male graduate with honours with 2 years of teaching experience( not moe). Will it be at a range between 3.3K to 3.5K or more? so far on the website they just put between 2.76k to 4.61k. Thanks!

Hi there,
Can you advise how did the interview go and what questions have been asked? Have you been offered the school counsellor job and what is your salary package like?

Thanks in advance,
Sharon

kcspider 20-08-2018 04:25 PM

Hi all

I’d submitted my application for the open posting under the 2018 APEx to one of the HQ position on the 16th of July.

Currently a GEO 3 with 5 years experience. May I ask if anyone had also done an application this year and had gotten at least notification of an interview? Just kind of anxious because it has been more than a month since application and no news so far...

HQ worker 21-08-2018 06:37 AM

My side has already interviewed candidates and chosen the incoming officers. i think you can go ahead and email the listed point of contact (there should have been one on the advert) to check on this; I don't think it's right to be left hanging like this.

That said... I guess I wouldn't be too hopeful. =/

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcspider (Post 109757)
Hi all

I’d submitted my application for the open posting under the 2018 APEx to one of the HQ position on the 16th of July.

Currently a GEO 3 with 5 years experience. May I ask if anyone had also done an application this year and had gotten at least notification of an interview? Just kind of anxious because it has been more than a month since application and no news so far...