Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 28-04-2015 03:00 PM

interview

just came back from the interview and it was really really challenging.
The questions that asked can be quite nerves wracking.
and somehow i just feel that the interviewer does not really like me ):

Unregistered 28-04-2015 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66039)
just came back from the interview and it was really really challenging.
The questions that asked can be quite nerves wracking.
and somehow i just feel that the interviewer does not really like me ):

I went MOE interview more than 10 years back. My only impression was why MOE interviewers are so stupid.

Despite my arrogance, they took me on board.

Many young Singaporeans are not aware that many years back, civil service jobs are being despise and only loser went there.

Since then Kuan Yew and PAP flood us with FT slump dog, forcing young Singaporeans to stooge and endure insult begging for a job in public sector.

Unregistered 29-04-2015 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66040)
I went MOE interview more than 10 years back. My only impression was why MOE interviewers are so stupid.

Despite my arrogance, they took me on board.

Many young Singaporeans are not aware that many years back, civil service jobs are being despise and only loser went there.

It is not necessary to bring out the past. Every job has its own perks and downsides. It is no point comparing; it is more important that you find satisfaction in the work you do.

Unregistered 29-04-2015 05:37 PM

The young people must know the past. Before, many people despise civil service, who have
shitt reputation of stupid bosses, pushing responsibility, unreasonable people (especially bosses), suc coc culture, strong arm bosses...etc...

All the malady of civil service can be trace to PAP, especially LKY, as civil servant and even the entire Singapore culture are shaped by the toxic character of our leaders.

You are a loser if you join civil service and private sectors are highly paid.

Kuan Yew and gangs hate to be loser. At one stroke, civil service pay was raised to scandalous levels, meanwhile, PAP debase private sector by flooding us with FTs.

Today young people are so maasturbated by PAP that they are pussy and pervert. Civil service is the fall back of young people so long they failed to make it in Shylock industries.

Singapore is going to be shitt hole.

Unregistered 30-04-2015 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66082)
The young people must know the past. Before, many people despise civil service, who have
shitt reputation of stupid bosses, pushing responsibility, unreasonable people (especially bosses), suc coc culture, strong arm bosses...etc...

All the malady of civil service can be trace to PAP, especially LKY, as civil servant and even the entire Singapore culture are shaped by the toxic character of our leaders.

Kuan Yew and gangs hate to be loser. At one stroke, civil service pay was raised to scandalous levels, meanwhile, PAP debase private sector by flooding us with FTs.

Today young people are so maasturbated by PAP that they are pussy and pervert. Civil service is the fall back of young people so long they failed to make it in Shylock industries.

If you are so unhappy in Singapore, well you can always look for a greener pasture outside Singapore. No matter where you go, there will always be something for you to pick on and compare. What's the point in living in all that negativity?

Unregistered 12-05-2015 08:28 PM

recently 2 teachers committed suicide in the span of 2 weeks
both are below 30s... marsiling drive and yishun ave 4

not easy to be a teacher. Need to face the parents, students and Principal

Unregistered 13-05-2015 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 66082)

Haha. I think you're the only loser around here. Your English is bad and you should feel bad. Please go back to whichever cave you crawled out from.

Unregistered 16-05-2015 08:33 AM

Go into teaching only if you truly believe in making difference in students' lives. That strong belief should sustain a person to endure chronic parents, colleagues, principals, naughty students that you will find in the education field.

Regarding pressure from parents, principal, etc. I think it's like workplace "bullies" that you will find in any job, not just teaching. Take a sales / marketing job, for example, don't you think you have to humble yourself all the time, adopt a "customer is right" approach, in order to secure business?? It is also something to be endured and learned from experience.

I think many of the problems described in the teaching profession are symptomatic of the young fresh grads that join the profession. With zero experience, junior level, and young age, they are at a disadvantage when facing - what are to most of us "old birds" - typical workplace issues. There are less complaints, e.g. from mid-career teachers, who know how to "play the game" and handle human relations better. That should tell us something...

Unregistered 02-06-2015 06:24 PM

Anyone get any interview call from MOE? had applied for the period in 27 apr to 15 jun?

lchunl 03-06-2015 12:04 AM

had given a shot at the MOE teacher application recently despite after a few years back MOE rejection (no call)....don't dare to harbor big hope..interestingly, this time i have put my love interest, art, as the teaching subjects that i prefer to do so instead of the typical maths and science..maybe i am not that qualified as there are arts graduate who can do the job better. i am unsure will them consider me in the first place..

i have trying to assess my passion in teaching after reading so much, but due to contract issues, i am unable to perform short-term stint as teacher to really assess if teaching is the right stuff though i do enjoy being with children (and the stress that come with them as have kids) and hoping that i can inspire them to learn and help them to learn better. But i know that reality is very different and the need to perform and deliver may give me a hard knock on my head.

metoo 03-06-2015 10:14 AM

Got email

I have gotten an email saying I'm shortlisted, and will call me to tell me about the interview later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67549)
Anyone get any interview call from MOE? had applied for the period in 27 apr to 15 jun?

lchunl 03-06-2015 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metoo (Post 67573)
I have gotten an email saying I'm shortlisted, and will call me to tell me about the interview later.

Congras ! :) is this your to-be-first job?

Unregistered 03-06-2015 09:27 PM

Hi Guys,

I'll be moving to Singapore in September with my girlfriend who's a teacher. She teaches English, has a degree in Psychology & a PGCE in English Teaching. She also has 2 years teaching experience, one of which at an International School in London and the remainder in London.

I notice that a lot of teaching jobs online require that if someone is coming from abroad, they need to be a 'native' English speaker to teach English - ie from US,UK,Ireland etc. Whilst she speaks fluent English and has lived in the US, Canada & UK for over 10 years, she has a Norwegian passport. Does this mean no schools, international or MOE, will look at her? Also, would she be able to get a visa?

Thanks!

Unregistered 04-06-2015 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67596)
Hi Guys,

I'll be moving to Singapore in September with my girlfriend who's a teacher. She teaches English, has a degree in Psychology & a PGCE in English Teaching. She also has 2 years teaching experience, one of which at an International School in London and the remainder in London.

I notice that a lot of teaching jobs online require that if someone is coming from abroad, they need to be a 'native' English speaker to teach English - ie from US,UK,Ireland etc. Whilst she speaks fluent English and has lived in the US, Canada & UK for over 10 years, she has a Norwegian passport. Does this mean no schools, international or MOE, will look at her? Also, would she be able to get a visa?

Thanks!

as long as she has a English-medium degree, most international schools should have no problem. For MOE, it is highly possible that she will be required to take an English test if she is selected. u can check it out at moe website under career or something.

lchunl 04-06-2015 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lchunl (Post 67584)

anyone also waiting for MOE interview invitation?

Unregistered 09-06-2015 03:15 PM

Hi Guys,

I am currently in the Civil Service but I would like to make a transition into teaching Secondary.

I have terrible poly grades (2.0 GPA graduating) so I'm at a dilemma. (Yes I know its terrible)

Should I take a chance and apply for the BA / BSC Degree at NTU/NIE than go into PDGE or is that highly unlikely? Not sure whether they will admit me into the course with my GPA.

I also have a choice of studying overseas in the UK; so if the first choice is not viable, is this a better option? (Overseas degree than apply PDGE in NIE)
I am confident I can do alot better than my poly days and I'll be shooting for FCH for whatever degree i'll be taking. If this is the better option, does anyone have any degree choices to recommend so I can have a better shot at the NIE interview into PDGE? I would want to teach Science or Literature.

Thank you for the advice!

Unregistered 09-06-2015 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67873)
Hi Guys,

I am currently in the Civil Service but I would like to make a transition into teaching Secondary.

I have terrible poly grades (2.0 GPA graduating) so I'm at a dilemma. (Yes I know its terrible)

Should I take a chance and apply for the BA / BSC Degree at NTU/NIE than go into PDGE or is that highly unlikely? Not sure whether they will admit me into the course with my GPA.

I also have a choice of studying overseas in the UK; so if the first choice is not viable, is this a better option? (Overseas degree than apply PDGE in NIE)
I am confident I can do alot better than my poly days and I'll be shooting for FCH for whatever degree i'll be taking. If this is the better option, does anyone have any degree choices to recommend so I can have a better shot at the NIE interview into PDGE? I would want to teach Science or Literature.

Thank you for the advice!

How old are you? Also what is the level of job you are doing in civil service now? Considering your poor academic grades, chances are not high through the NIE route unless you are not too old and have a good career progression track record in CS.

As for studying overseas in UK, I wouldn't advise that route unless your family is very rich and everything is paid by your parents for free. The cost in money & time is way too high to justify a career as a primary/secondary school teacher. You just end up depleting all your savings and spending the next 10 years paying off your study loan.

Unregistered 09-06-2015 03:42 PM

I'm 23 male finished with NS. School lab technician TSO. The money is decent but I feel like I want to teach because I want to be challenged and I know I can step up my game when it comes to Singapore's youths.

Thanks for your advice but considering I really wanna teach, do you think getting overseas degree than getting into PDGE is the better choice?

Unregistered 10-06-2015 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67877)
I'm 23 male finished with NS. School lab technician TSO. The money is decent but I feel like I want to teach because I want to be challenged and I know I can step up my game when it comes to Singapore's youths.

Thanks for your advice but considering I really wanna teach, do you think getting overseas degree than getting into PDGE is the better choice?

If you wanna teach in Singapore, a PGDE is a very powerful compared to overseas degree.. Unless you study all the way till PhD and teach in a university.. you can look at many teaching jobs nowadays, they want NIE Trained/MOE Trained/PGDE.. cannot escape one.. I was once like you, wanted to be a teacher.. was a relief teacher and always get challenged by students regarding Mathematics questions and I find it very interesting to be one.. but sadly I can't get into MOE.. applied 13 times already.. seek MP help to appeal.. up to now nothing.. moreover I graduated with BSc (Hons) Mathematics from a local uni oso cant get in..

Unregistered 10-06-2015 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67877)

I see, thanks for the info. Honestly I would recommend you try to take up some teaching/tuition assignments in private education companies as a hobby/sideline if you really feel passionate about teaching.

Reason I say this based on my experience, the teacher route through MOE for you is just not practical for you:

1) NIE/PGDE - Ideal route, but with a seriously deficient diploma result and a lackluster career experience as, chances of you getting is close to 0. After all, teacher is one of those rare jobs where good academics is very important. Sometimes exceptions can be made if the candidate has demonstrated rich working experience, but this is certainly not the case for you with just a couple of years as a lab tech.

2) Study in UK - Seriously not a good idea. In order for you to be competitive with the local u grads, you will need to either grab a degree from a prestigious u (which prob u can't get in anyway) or go for higher level studies up to Masters or PHD.

If you think about the economics it just doesn't make sense. Going UK to study is gonna cost you at least S$70k a year all-in. 4-5 years there can easily cost you $300k+, you come back even if you get a typical GEO job, the pay inclusive of everything is only $50k+ p.a. Even if you save 100% of salary and dont eat dont drink also need 6 years to recoup the study expenses.

No logic in this deal at all. Look at it from your age also. You now 23, after study maybe 27/28, after paying off student loan already mid 30s. Essentially you end up with zero savings/net worth in your mid 30s and armed with only a junior teacher CV. Very bad idea.

A more responsible guy 10-06-2015 04:30 PM

Hi, I'm thinking of joining the PGDE programme to teach design and technology. I'm a TP design graduate with 4-5 years of experience as an industrial designer, and have won a few design awards.

The problem I need to look for a recognized university, thing is because of my age, 4 years full time may be a bit too long (I was advised by the interviewers not to take the route as I will be out of job during the shortlisted interview). I'm thinking of either SIM part time while working or the RMIT which is 1 year, but from what I've seen online, seems that neither of these universities are recognized by MOE.

I looking at PGDE programme to a GEO1 salary scale.

I'm 28yo now, currently working as a designer in a MNC, intending to switch my career.
Is there any universities that are recognized by MOE?

Unregistered 10-06-2015 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A more responsible guy (Post 67943)
Hi, I'm thinking of joining the PGDE programme to teach design and technology. I'm a TP design graduate with 4-5 years of experience as an industrial designer, and have won a few design awards.

The problem I need to look for a recognized university, thing is because of my age, 4 years full time may be a bit too long (I was advised by the interviewers not to take the route as I will be out of job during the shortlisted interview). I'm thinking of either SIM part time while working or the RMIT which is 1 year, but from what I've seen online, seems that neither of these universities are recognized by MOE.

I'm 28yo now, currently working as a designer in a MNC, intending to switch my career.

If you want to go through PGDE route standard should go for NUS/NTU/SMU full time to maximize your chances. Any part time degree is a waste of time.

Your few years working exp as industrial designer is pretty much irrelevant, so its not going to help you there. Just like the advice for the guy above, do your maths & see if it makes economic sense. Don't end up in debts after your studies at 32 yrs old with only a GEO1 job to show for.

If you look at the people who do a mid career switch from pte to MOE teacher, most are in their mid to late 30s having a well established career , so they can afford a pay cut and leverage on their savings & experience to secure a teaching role out of passion.

A more responsible guy 10-06-2015 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67948)
If you want to go through PGDE route standard should go for NUS/NTU/SMU full time to maximize your chances. Any part time degree is a waste of time.

Your few years working exp as industrial designer is pretty much irrelevant, so its not going to help you there. Just like the advice for the guy above, do your maths & see if it makes economic sense. Don't end up in debts after your studies at 32 yrs old with only a GEO1 job to show for.

If you look at the people who do a mid career switch from pte to MOE teacher, most are in their mid to late 30s having a well established career , so they can afford a pay cut and leverage on their savings & experience to secure a teaching role out of passion.

Sorry to ask but I'm a bit curious, what is your occupation now?
What about getting in as a diploma graduate and do a further study from there? Will the pay scale be adjusted? or stagnant?

Unregistered 11-06-2015 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A more responsible guy (Post 67961)
Sorry to ask but I'm a bit curious, what is your occupation now?
What about getting in as a diploma graduate and do a further study from there? Will the pay scale be adjusted? or stagnant?

I am a Marketing Associate in a MNC now. I explored the thought of joining MOE as a teacher last year with a non-recognized bachelor degree and basically went through the same research and thought process like you as well.

In the end my conclusion was although I liked teaching, the whole economics of the deal doesn’t make sense. There was no way I was going to waste 3-4 years of my life & deplete my savings to study something worthless full time just to get a cert and then take a 50% pay cut as a teacher.

As for joining MOE with a diploma then try to study from there hoping that somehow will make it to mainstream teaching, not sure how feasible it is. But I don’t think it makes sense anyway, why give up a proper career & paycheck to go for something that has very little hope of success. Without relevant exp even if MOE accepts you, they are going to offer you fresh diploma pay & benefits which is quite pathetic.

If after a few years it doesn’t work out, you will be stuck with lousy job prospects as a diploma civil servant or Div2 officer and going to back to pte sector will be extremely difficult. As I said, you don’t want to end up in your 30s with little relevant exp, low pay and no job prospects.

A more responsible guy 11-06-2015 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68006)
I am a Marketing Associate in a MNC now. I explored the thought of joining MOE as a teacher last year with a non-recognized bachelor degree and basically went through the same research and thought process like you as well.

In the end my conclusion was although I liked teaching, the whole economics of the deal doesn’t make sense. There was no way I was going to waste 3-4 years of my life & deplete my savings to study something worthless full time just to get a cert and then take a 50% pay cut as a teacher.

As for joining MOE with a diploma then try to study from there hoping that somehow will make it to mainstream teaching, not sure how feasible it is. But I don’t think it makes sense anyway, why give up a proper career & paycheck to go for something that has very little hope of success. Without relevant exp even if MOE accepts you, they are going to offer you fresh diploma pay & benefits which is quite pathetic.

If after a few years it doesn’t work out, you will be stuck with lousy job prospects as a diploma civil servant or Div2 officer and going to back to pte sector will be extremely difficult. As I said, you don’t want to end up in your 30s with little relevant exp, low pay and no job prospects.

I'll give it a shot first, if I'm selected for the interview, I'll ask the interviewers how the pay scale will work.
Actually my work experience is relevant to the subject I intend to teach, just checked the site.
If it doesn't work out, I'm prolly looking forward to another MNC as a designer/senior designer and do part time studies.

Unregistered 12-06-2015 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A more responsible guy (Post 68010)
I'll give it a shot first, if I'm selected for the interview, I'll ask the interviewers how the pay scale will work.
Actually my work experience is relevant to the subject I intend to teach, just checked the site.
If it doesn't work out, I'm prolly looking forward to another MNC as a designer/senior designer and do part time studies.

xiao lang, go & join moe as diploma officer!?

Unregistered 14-06-2015 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A more responsible guy (Post 67943)

you can join SIT and do their 2 year design degree with Glasgow School of Art.

Unregistered 14-06-2015 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68202)
you can join SIT and do their 2 year design degree with Glasgow School of Art.

and then do what? teach prim school art or sec d&t? thats the fastest way to hantataki career

Unregistered 15-06-2015 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68207)
and then do what? teach prim school art or sec d&t? thats the fastest way to hantataki career

Then do the PGDE.
Suggest you check your facts before you give baseless advice.

Unregistered 15-06-2015 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68227)
Then do the PGDE.
Suggest you check your facts before you give baseless advice.

Haha fat hope! You think so easy to get PGDE somemore with just a degree from art school? Suggest you do a reality check before making baseless accusation. Don't send others on a wild goose chase for a few years just because of a minute possibility.

Is it possible? Yes.
Is it probable? No.

Unregistered 15-06-2015 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68229)
Haha fat hope! You think so easy to get PGDE somemore with just a degree from art school? Suggest you do a reality check before making baseless accusation. Don't send others on a wild goose chase for a few years just because of a minute possibility.

Is it possible? Yes.
Is it probable? No.

Perhaps you have failed to check that the Art School is under SIT - a public university.

Would MOE then not recognise one of its own universities?

Unregistered 15-06-2015 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68245)
Perhaps you have failed to check that the Art School is under SIT - a public university.

Would MOE then not recognise one of its own universities?

They recognize means you are eligible to apply, but that does not mean they will give you. They already recognize by offering you a job with MOE together with a stint at the art school, but that doesn't mean they must offer PGDE to you.

PGDE is a huge investment on their end. Competition is stiff as everyone is trying to get into the program, SIT Art school will definitely be eligible but chances of getting is very slim.

Is it possible? Yes.
Is it probable? No.

Unregistered 16-06-2015 01:39 AM

Adult Educator

Quote:

If you are interested in teaching, you don't have to be a MOE teacher.
And don't read too much into your own age, it does not matter as long as you have the right qualities the employer is looking for.

You can consider degrees from the new universities, SUTD and SIT.
Or if you want to take it slow, you can consider specialist diplomas from polytechnics,
- .getcet.sg

Aside from MOE teacher, you can become an Adult Educator.
The government is professionalising adult educators.
- ://.ial.edu.sg/index.aspx?id=726

There are a range of programmes to train you to become a qualified adult educator,
Institute for Adult Learning - certificates, diplomas, post-graduate programmes,
- ://.ial.edu.sg/index.aspx?id=11
Republic Polytechnic - Specialist Diploma in Applied Learning and Teaching
- ://.rp.edu.sg/ace_specialist_diploma.aspx

These can strengthen your credentials to teach in a tertiary institution, ITE, Polytechnic and University.

Metoo 16-06-2015 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lchunl (Post 67584)

Nope. I have 3 years overseas teaching experience. Already went for the interview, waiting for the results.

Unregistered 16-06-2015 08:59 PM

Quote:

Follow your heart but think before you act. Live in the present and enjoy the moment, but consider your past and plan for the future. Do all these and you will succeed. All the best.

Unregistered 16-06-2015 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metoo (Post 68380)
Nope. I have 3 years overseas teaching experience. Already went for the interview, waiting for the results.

Teach what? Teach where?

Metoo 19-06-2015 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68420)
Teach what? Teach where?

China, Physics and maths in some international schools

Unregistered 19-06-2015 12:54 PM

I would love to teach in China if I have the chance too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metoo (Post 68658)
China, Physics and maths in some international schools

Unregistered 21-06-2015 07:02 AM

Hi, for contract teaching, what are the requirements?
What are the hrs and pay/benefits like? Thanks.

zero_88 21-06-2015 12:31 PM

Is it true to apply to be teacher must write essay?