Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   My plan for breaking into finance sector (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1744-my-plan-breaking-into-finance-sector.html)

alwaysnforever 28-02-2012 11:15 AM

My plan for breaking into finance sector

Currently 27 this year, and I am studying for my gmat, and will apply to SMU's masters in applied finance next year. If all goes well, I will grad at age 29/30 depending on whether I take full time or part time studies.

I am currently in the public sector, and as I have no real skillset in finance, I think this will be the best option for me to break into to that sector, with a higher notch above the fresh grads.

Comments?

Unregistered 28-02-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysnforever (Post 21434)
Currently 27 this year, and I am studying for my gmat, and will apply to SMU's masters in applied finance next year. If all goes well, I will grad at age 29/30 depending on whether I take full time or part time studies.

I am currently in the public sector, and as I have no real skillset in finance, I think this will be the best option for me to break into to that sector, with a higher notch above the fresh grads.

Comments?

Maybe finance then will be different from finance now. There are people, especially those in the west, already talking about how finance has been evolving in the face of government control and popular dissent.

alwaysnforever 28-02-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 21435)
Maybe finance then will be different from finance now. There are people, especially those in the west, already talking about how finance has been evolving in the face of government control and popular dissent.

that is not really constructive with regard to my question...

Unregistered 28-02-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysnforever (Post 21437)
that is not really constructive with regard to my question...

Go for it! Stay positive and you will achieve what you want in life. Ignore all the noise and focus on the goal.

Just like Galois, who achieved fame ... eventually.

QXP 28-02-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysnforever (Post 21434)

Comments?

What exactly do you want to do? What exactly is "break into sector"?

Uncle who play stock is also Finance, counter teller is also Finance, accountant is also Finance, Investment banker is also Finance. You shouldn't be paying for an expensive course that takes up years when you can't even be specific what you want.

alwaysnforever 28-02-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QXP (Post 21452)
What exactly do you want to do? What exactly is "break into sector"?

Uncle who play stock is also Finance, counter teller is also Finance, accountant is also Finance, Investment banker is also Finance. You shouldn't be paying for an expensive course that takes up years when you can't even be specific what you want.

equity research and portfolio management.

QXP 28-02-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysnforever (Post 21453)
equity research and portfolio management.

Equity research as in those sell side guys? For that you don't need a Masters in Applied Finance, a CFA is sufficient and much cheaper and less time consuming.

Portfolio management is a generic term, some a Masters will be helpful, others hardly have anything to do with Financial theory.

BTW equity research and portfolio management jobs are quite different in nature, not sure how come you have interest in both...

Unregistered 28-02-2012 05:08 PM

Hi alwaysnforever,

I have the same thought with you. Currently preparing for GMAT as well, aiming for: 1.HKUST 2.CEIBS, class of 2013. Am an engineer, would like to make a career switch into banking, and have a plan to be based in Hong Kong/Shanghai. I have done some research and found that local MBA does not worth the money if you wish to continue working in sgpore. Studying and working abroad is one way to maximize the ROI. What do you think?

And I would like to ask about anothing thing. Normally there will be a few months of gap between the application closing date and the program starting date. Provided that you are getting your immediate superior to write the reference letter, there will be an embrassing period of a few months, if you wish to stay in the company before the program starts while having your boss knowing that you will be leaving. How will you deal with that?

Unregistered 28-02-2012 05:29 PM

Reality check -

The finance sector is not expanding the last 2 years - in fact banks are firing or freezing headcount.

My take - if the sector is expanding rapidly, the banks are willing to take people with little experience to beef up their numbers to capture profits..

But that is not true at the moment.. I am not sure about 2-3 years time.. but to me, it doesnt seem like they will expand like the way they did between 2005-2008 where you have a good chance if you have a CFA, MBA, Masters in finance but no working experience in finance.. Unfortunately for the time being, i just dont see how...banks have more candidates to choose from..the group being retrenched, new fresh grads entering.. dont see why they would pick a MBA student with no finance background over a fresh grad with no finance background.

Maybe you can try those MBA graduate programs?

alwaysnforever 28-02-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QXP (Post 21456)
Equity research as in those sell side guys? For that you don't need a Masters in Applied Finance, a CFA is sufficient and much cheaper and less time consuming.

Portfolio management is a generic term, some a Masters will be helpful, others hardly have anything to do with Financial theory.

BTW equity research and portfolio management jobs are quite different in nature, not sure how come you have interest in both...

yes sell side analyst. Both fund manager and the analyst requries you to study the equities carefully and the valuation of the company, which is what I am interested in.