Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Shall I change job? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1730-shall-i-change-job.html)

janeyeo168 23-02-2012 03:05 PM

Shall I change job?

Hi all, I'm new here, would like to seek advice from all of you...

I've been offered a position of petrochemical broker... however, the monthly salary is a pay cut of $500 per month as compared to what I'm earning now.. I'm getting 3k++ per month now.

Should I go for the broker job because of career prospects?

Pls let me know what you think. Any good advise is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Unregistered 23-02-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janeyeo168 (Post 21242)
Hi all, I'm new here, would like to seek advice from all of you...

I've been offered a position of petrochemical broker... however, the monthly salary is a pay cut of $500 per month as compared to what I'm earning now.. I'm getting 3k++ per month now.

Should I go for the broker job because of career prospects?

Pls let me know what you think. Any good advise is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

how much is the offer? above $3k?
whats ur backgrd?

janeyeo168 23-02-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 21245)
how much is the offer? above $3k?
whats ur backgrd?

the broker job offer basic 2.5k + commission.. because i have no prior background in that field...

i have over 4 years of experience in sales and marketing... thats why i can get my 3k++ (near 4k) salary.

but i heard petroleum /petrochemical prospects is good... thats why i wish to seek advise here. im only 25 years old by the way. so if prospects is really good i guess i dont mind trying.

pls advise.

LilyHush 24-02-2012 03:29 AM

Try going on linkedin and approach those who are in the similar field as yours and ask for a coffee or meetup to determine if its the right role for you. Also, check around for salary guides on what a potential petrochem broker could make at the lower, mid and upper end.

Unregistered 24-02-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilyHush (Post 21297)
Try going on linkedin and approach those who are in the similar field as yours and ask for a coffee or meetup to determine if its the right role for you. Also, check around for salary guides on what a potential petrochem broker could make at the lower, mid and upper end.

These guys are mostly high revenue generators who are making serious money. Try cold messaging them through Linkedin and see how many will even bother to acknowledge much less meet for coffee with a fresh grad newbie.

Unregistered 24-02-2012 04:53 PM

oil broker is a v dirty biz... haf to go entertain clients de... sometimes at KTV or drinking.

u can handle?

miwashi 24-02-2012 04:54 PM

i bet even IT vendor can be a v dirty biz these days

Unregistered 24-02-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miwashi (Post 21326)
i bet even IT vendor can be a v dirty biz these days

Reminds me of a fictitious lady called Cecilia Sue working in a fictitious company called Oracle. HP and Hitachi are other fictitious companies linked to her.

PaycheckSG 25-02-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janeyeo168 (Post 21249)
the broker job offer basic 2.5k + commission.. because i have no prior background in that field...

i have over 4 years of experience in sales and marketing... thats why i can get my 3k++ (near 4k) salary.

but i heard petroleum /petrochemical prospects is good... thats why i wish to seek advise here. im only 25 years old by the way. so if prospects is really good i guess i dont mind trying.

pls advise.

Hi, I presume you're a 25 yr old lady. Petrochem is definitely a good industry, but my understanding of the role of a broker is to match buyer and seller. As highlighted, entertainment is unavoidable for jobs of such nature, if you have the personality and lifestyle to match, great for you.

I know a friend who started off as a broker, which involves a fair bit of travelling, and most of your personal time to entertain clients. In terms of moving up the "value chain", being a "oil trader" is the aspiration from the broker. In terms of pay, didn't ask explicitly, but judging from external observation, I am sure the pay-off is worthwhile after slogging out for around 2-3 years.

Good luck! :)

Unregistered 25-02-2012 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janeyeo168 (Post 21249)

pls advise.

Does the new job require u to deal with physical petrochemicals (i.e. u need to travel often to meet suppliers/traders etc)? or are u only dealing with financial derivatives?

Is the firm a small or big company?

Are u an outgoing/sociable person? Petrolchemical/oil brokers need to entertain clients often. So often after office hours, u need to meet your clients and entertain/drink with them.

I think in terms of making money, this career path has good potential.