Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it)

Old 19-05-2021, 07:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi there, yes it is. Although I'm sure I'll be pegged to Asst Mgr if I do get the job.
I see, congrats! isit policy-related or research-related department?

Old 19-05-2021, 07:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi!! It seems like you are really close, I wish you all the best! I was wondering whether you are able to share what the essay test entailed and how should I prepare for it? Also, do you know whether they look out for a specific background? I come from a non social science background (UK uni, engineering) but the role I applied for is related to strategic defence planning and a bit of ops. If you don’t mind sharing, what’s your background? (Local or overseas uni, major) thanks in advance!
Haha, thanks! Not sure if I can share what my test entailed, but basically, be prepared to answer an essay question that is related to the job scope you're applying for. For example, if you're applying for sustainability-related offices in MINDEF, you might get a question that tests your understanding of the local sustainability scene and how MINDEF or the government can help the public be more aware of these issues.

As for your second question, no, I don't think they look for specific backgrounds per se. What matters more is your ability to perform in your written test and, in the later rounds, the interviews, where you will be grilled quite hard (they rank among the toughest interviews I've been to thus far). Of course, having the right background helps because you would have been exposed to certain concepts and happenings during your term of study, but I'd think your interview preparation and performance matters a lot more.

I'm from a local U, and major in a humanities discipline Hope this helps!

Old 19-05-2021, 08:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I see, congrats! isit policy-related or research-related department?
Thanks, although I would be very disappointed if I don't get the job now. It's a policy-related job!

Old 19-05-2021, 10:42 PM
Unregistered

Talking

Logistics
Old 20-05-2021, 10:09 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi!! It seems like you are really close, I wish you all the best! I was wondering whether you are able to share what the essay test entailed and how should I prepare for it? Also, do you know whether they look out for a specific background? I come from a non social science background (UK uni, engineering) but the role I applied for is related to strategic defence planning and a bit of ops. If you don’t mind sharing, what’s your background? (Local or overseas uni, major) thanks in advance!
Hi, posted a reply yesterday but it's not up, strangely enough. Maybe the post was too long. Anyway if you're applying for strategic defence planning you might want to prepare for questions that deal with SG's immediate security concerns and maybe how we can improve national security.

Also, no, I don't think they look out for specific backgrounds; what matters more is your performance during the interviews, although a relevant academic background may certainly lend you some advantage there. For what it's worth, I'm from local U, majoring in a humanities discipline
Old 20-05-2021, 12:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks for your advice. The interview rounds went by very quickly--was informed that I had progressed to the next rounds within two business days--so this three-day wait is making me nervous haha.
Omg I’m so glad I found this forum cos I am in the exact same predicament as you. I went for my unit preview early last week (most probably a different position tho, mine is a corporate role) but have yet to hear from them. They have been very responsive throughout the application process so this wait is making me very anxious. I am fine if they reject me (I fortunately have another offer already) but I just hope to hear from them ASAP as the uncertainty is giving me the nerves and anxiety lol... pls do share here if you do hear from them so that I have a rough idea whether to just give up waiting for mine... all the best!

Old 20-05-2021, 03:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Omg I’m so glad I found this forum cos I am in the exact same predicament as you. I went for my unit preview early last week (most probably a different position tho, mine is a corporate role) but have yet to hear from them. They have been very responsive throughout the application process so this wait is making me very anxious. I am fine if they reject me (I fortunately have another offer already) but I just hope to hear from them ASAP as the uncertainty is giving me the nerves and anxiety lol... pls do share here if you do hear from them so that I have a rough idea whether to just give up waiting for mine... all the best!
If you have another offer and still interested in DXO post, you can just ask the HR. They will tell you if you are selected or not. you need to be aware that there can be at most verbal offer if you are selected. The formal offer is only after your clearance is done and this can take months.
Old 20-05-2021, 04:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
If you have another offer and still interested in DXO post, you can just ask the HR. They will tell you if you are selected or not. you need to be aware that there can be at most verbal offer if you are selected. The formal offer is only after your clearance is done and this can take months.
I dropped an email to HR a few days back but did not get any reply from them. I was thinking whether I should call them as I need to make a decision by the end of the week (aka tomorrow). This is incredibly frustrating as I want to make sure that all my decisions are informed and don’t wanna end up in a situation where MINDEF offers me after I accept my other offer.
Old 20-05-2021, 05:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Haha, I feel you. Did they indicate that HR will get back to you this week? Mine did and tomorrow’s the final day of “this week”. HR has not responded to my enquiries about the application status as well.

Do update me about whether you were given an offer or not in the end. I think you’ll get a response soon and from there I can also get a grasp of my chances. Or would anyone with experience enlighten us on whether a week long wait after the unit preview is normal for MINDEF? 😵
Old 20-05-2021, 09:26 PM
Unregistered

Anyone take umbrage at HR stating that MINDEF generals are the best people to lead public companies? Think their paper qualifications are so big.