Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it)

Old 29-03-2019, 08:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Oh I see.. wonder if the medical check up will come before they offer you the salary package or after? I'm not sure if I have any chips to gamble with. I just felt that they must have some kind of budget range they can offer you so I wanted to negotiate. Anyone who manage to negotiate successfully please leave a comment below! Thank you!
I'm the same person you replied to.

HR got back to me more than 3 times on the salary. Once after PT, once after interview and finally, same time as medical appt was booked.

I didn't really negotiate per se, I only clarified the job scope very respectfully and tactfully because she said my job scope is A... Commander at site preview say my jobscope is B. In other words due to misalignment of perceived job demand, HR did not account for work expected by my commander.

so HR incorrectly suggest that my experience in certain area is not relevant. Waited another week she went back to the drawing board and she informed me a different salary range, ask if I'm able to accept for her to submit for approval. i accepted. Though not fantastic but good enough for me as long I'm paid rightfully for my experience and work done.

the 'final' call came recently to verbally offer me the grade, title, salary, and ask for my notice period.

Budget? I assume they called me because I am not too far off! The lady is very nice, if you insist, tactfully ask what is their budget. My friend did that and did still get hired.

Old 29-03-2019, 08:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGLupCheong View Post
HI yes another user here! Would like to share my progress as well since I've benefitted much from the responses earlier on.

Invitation for PT: 3 days after application
Actual PT: 2 weeks later
Interview: another 2 weeks later
Site preview: 1 week later

Hope this can help you buddy
Yours is fast, mine has taken forever. But I pity HR. The time stamped on emails is sometimes 11pm sometimes past midnight. I think hiring HR girls also takes forever, whereas resigning is just 30 days notice.

Old 29-03-2019, 11:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm the same person you replied to.

HR got back to me more than 3 times on the salary. Once after PT, once after interview and finally, same time as medical appt was booked.

I didn't really negotiate per se, I only clarified the job scope very respectfully and tactfully because she said my job scope is A... Commander at site preview say my jobscope is B. In other words due to misalignment of perceived job demand, HR did not account for work expected by my commander.

so HR incorrectly suggest that my experience in certain area is not relevant. Waited another week she went back to the drawing board and she informed me a different salary range, ask if I'm able to accept for her to submit for approval. i accepted. Though not fantastic but good enough for me as long I'm paid rightfully for my experience and work done.

the 'final' call came recently to verbally offer me the grade, title, salary, and ask for my notice period.

Budget? I assume they called me because I am not too far off! The lady is very nice, if you insist, tactfully ask what is their budget. My friend did that and did still get hired.
Hi, thank you for responding. Appreciate it alot!

Wow, I didnt have such "service" hahaha! Was only told that they couldn't match my expected but I was still keen on the position. Just wanted to make sure it was the best they can offer me as I have work experience but yet still quoted a somewhat fresh grad range.

Old 31-03-2019, 12:00 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yours is fast, mine has taken forever. But I pity HR. The time stamped on emails is sometimes 11pm sometimes past midnight. I think hiring HR girls also takes forever, whereas resigning is just 30 days notice.
You're so lucky! It has been almost 16 weeks for mine.
Old 31-03-2019, 12:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You're so lucky! It has been almost 16 weeks for mine.
Hi, I believe it could be due to urgent vacancy/ because of the fact that I sent a chaser email 2 weeks after the PT?

Would like to know if medical checkup is scheduled after being offered (+salary package) or before being offered?
Old 31-03-2019, 01:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi, I believe it could be due to urgent vacancy/ because of the fact that I sent a chaser email 2 weeks after the PT?

Would like to know if medical checkup is scheduled after being offered (+salary package) or before being offered?
If it is a fact that they are in need of persons, a so called follow up mail is not relevant. You are potentially in good hands. Worry less and good luck!

Medical will definitely be prior to HR admin (less the interview portion)

Old 31-03-2019, 04:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

I agree that I feel the follow up email is not relevant. I called, HR always say, the ball is in the hiring dept court, they don't revert the whole process stagnates. After once or twice, there's really no need to continue pressing them unless they promised 2 weeks and take 1 month (my case as well)

Medical is after site preview. It is one of the many concurrent processes that take 4-6 weeks. Quoting the friendly officer at CMPB, "once they send you here for medical, you can prepared the resignation letter. It is the last major milestone cleared for non-uniformed. Actually medical is not required for DXO it is just part of protocol"

However to me, as long never sign, anything that can go wrong.

Quote:
If it is a fact that they are in need of persons, a so called follow up mail is not relevant. You are potentially in good hands. Worry less and good luck!

Medical will definitely be prior to HR admin (less the interview portion)
They need people but protocol dictates that PT will weed away so many, that only the best remain. When these good candidates receive news of the non-competitive package, some automatically bow out. When they hear that promotions are not annually like in tech companies or banks, they also bow out. In banks good performers promote annually. DXO maybe every 2 years. Many high flyer women apply to enjoy perks for 2 years to give birth and enjoy long leave then quickly go back to high flying work.

My friend is a chief clerk in a unit. The DXO positions take about half a year to fill on average as one year there's only 3-4 hiring cycles maximum. The hiring manager is always not free, maybe 1-2 hiring cycles realistically.

HR admin? Isn't HR admin the entire process starting from the moment they look at your documents A-D.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 01-04-2019, 07:40 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I agree that I feel the follow up email is not relevant. I called, HR always say, the ball is in the hiring dept court, they don't revert the whole process stagnates. After once or twice, there's really no need to continue pressing them unless they promised 2 weeks and take 1 month (my case as well)

Medical is after site preview. It is one of the many concurrent processes that take 4-6 weeks. Quoting the friendly officer at CMPB, "once they send you here for medical, you can prepared the resignation letter. It is the last major milestone cleared for non-uniformed. Actually medical is not required for DXO it is just part of protocol"

However to me, as long never sign, anything that can go wrong.

They need people but protocol dictates that PT will weed away so many, that only the best remain. When these good candidates receive news of the non-competitive package, some automatically bow out. When they hear that promotions are not annually like in tech companies or banks, they also bow out. In banks good performers promote annually. DXO maybe every 2 years. Many high flyer women apply to enjoy perks for 2 years to give birth and enjoy long leave then quickly go back to high flying work.

My friend is a chief clerk in a unit. The DXO positions take about half a year to fill on average as one year there's only 3-4 hiring cycles maximum. The hiring manager is always not free, maybe 1-2 hiring cycles realistically.

HR admin? Isn't HR admin the entire process starting from the moment they look at your documents A-D.
Hi, thank you both for your response!

Yes I feel that the salary they provide is no longer market competitive. However I still hope there is a chance for negotiation if I am offered? Besides you need much motivation to travel to their ulu locations if you do not live near there!

I see. Yes I also agree that unless the contract is sign nothing is confirmed. I read previous thread there were actually cases where the person was rejected after the medical check up and the reason was not due to medical reasons but suitability issues which could have been highlighted in the earlier stages..... one really need to have passion for public service to persevere this long hiring process!
Old 01-04-2019, 09:21 AM
Unregistered

Default Interview

Just curious, if anyone here applied for the position of orientation manager and got called for interview already?
Old 01-04-2019, 12:46 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy

Quote:
Just curious, if anyone here applied for the position of orientation manager and got called for interview already?
I applied for something related to orientation definitely not your title... But I guess could be same boss, unless orientation is required at all 5 BMTC.

Radio silence. I hope no news is good news. Judging from all the recent and helpful replies, it's going to be a long process. Now even disgruntled public servants will join the line with fresh grads.