Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it)

Old 10-03-2019, 08:13 AM
Unregistered

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambition View Post
Thanks, dunno what happened my reply is taking forever to be released by the mod.

Do you know, is ranking within the dept or within camp or all the DXO in SG?

Appointment is grabbed by the person themselves, or the boss will arrow to test your ability? I am quite a go-getter who wants to give back to public service. I am wondering if I must highlight my willingness to excel to my commander. My limited understanding of SAF is very top down. So if i must go to the top, then at least I won't waste time trying to impress my RO who maybe... Is not an achiever in the first place.

I heard from friends that if your reservist is all reservist, no regulars, it will be a culture shock when observe the regulars. It is as though entered another country under military law. First obey the laws, then do the job decently. Not do the job well and try to skirt around the laws as in corporate.

May I know what was the last known PB for C grade? Got 1.5 month?

Thank you for the replies
sadly, in my community at least, those that the bosses wants to groom usually gets the projects. but of course you can highlight to your boss you want to do something.

last known PB C grade for my community is about 1.3 months. default C.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:22 AM
Unregistered

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambition View Post
Appreciate the time taken to write it.

So, appointment in simple English means, to take up more projects to earn points, and doing well in them to earn even more points. When there's enough points accumulated, the bosses will have ammunition to fight for your promotion (eg 9S -> 9P, P is higher than S right) , which translates into higher salary scale in less time, and remaining the the middle of salary range.

I was wondering why there's so many comments that Dx9 can/may earn equal to Dx10, is it because this DX9 has no projects to impress and be promoted, but paid close to ceiling due to mandatory increments? (as you mentioned)

In this case the high paid Dx9 is at the ceiling and avg paid Dx10 is at the lower end of the spectrum? Big fish in small pond vs small fish in ocean? I assume for go-getter the ocean is a better place.
DX9 can equal to DX10 because of banding. imagine the 2 salary range overlapping alot. for example only.. DX9S can be 3k to 5.5k. DX10S can be 3.5k to 6k. so even if you promote, it means nth if your starting is already low. you can be a DX10 and still earn the same as a old bird DX9. just that ceiling is higher. yes..it goes B to S then to P. going to P is rare.. unless you super old bird and cant promote further.

all that said... dont worry abt rank too much. see money more practical. in short, you wont get rich working in govt, but its decent. promotion is just depends on your ability.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:28 AM
Ambition

Default How to maximize increment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
DX9 can equal to DX10 because of banding. imagine the 2 salary range overlapping alot. for example only.. DX9S can be 3k to 5.5k. DX10S can be 3.5k to 6k. so even if you promote, it means nth if your starting is already low. you can be a DX10 and still earn the same as a old bird DX9. just that ceiling is higher. yes..it goes B to S then to P. going to P is rare.. unless you super old bird and cant promote further.

all that said... dont worry abt rank too much. see money more practical. in short, you wont get rich working in govt, but its decent. promotion is just depends on your ability.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

It is interesting, so I should never aim to hit P grade? I thought one must move B-S-P.

Yes see money more practical, that's the basis of my queries, how to rank up and money up. It depends on the definition of getting rich. I know my education credentials automatically form a glass ceiling.

How to maximize increment as a DXO? Doing good and many projects usually result in performance grade and PB, but increment? Does it peg to grade?

Coming from SB, my ex boss is a classic example of zero merit and expect you to ankat bola. Don't count the merit and only count the mistakes. Ankat bola to erase his memory of your mistakes. Projects are always given to the same people.. I wasted my youth there and I see my friends in ministry having a SomeWhat fair appraisal I want to take back some part of my lost time.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:31 AM
Ambition

Question How to maximize increment

Quote:

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

It is interesting, so I should never aim to hit P grade? I thought one must move B-S-P.

Yes see money indeed, that's the basis of my queries, how to rank up and money up. It depends on the definition of getting rich. I know my education credentials automatically form a glass ceiling.

How to maximize increment as a DXO? Doing good and many projects usually result in performance grade and PB, but increment? Does it peg to grade?

Coming from SB, my ex boss is a classic example of zero merit and expect you to ankat bola. Don't count the merit and only count the mistakes. Ankat bola to erase his memory of your mistakes. Projects are always given to the same people.. I wasted my youth there and I see my friends in ministry having a SomeWhat fair appraisal I want to take back some part of my lost time.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:52 AM
Ambition

Thumbs down Sad

Quote:
sadly, in my community at least, those that the bosses wants to groom usually gets the projects. but of course you can highlight to your boss you want to do something.

last known PB C grade for my community is about 1.3 months. default C.
Thank you for taking the time to reply

C grade 1.3 is normal. B grade can be very different. I heard of C getting 1.2 and B getting 1.8, that's like no motivation to push, except for promotion purpose, or looking good for own resume maybe.. If they even include.

Well, I even heard of bosses that award PB A grade to people for future projects to encourage them, and C grade for people who intend to move out as they have no future value. Talk about meritocracy in public service. But that's another story for another place.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:30 PM
Unregistered

Red face Mindef DXO Interview

Hi all,

I would like to check if HR will contact you via email or phone call if you are selected for interview?

Seems to have differing methods base on previous threads.

Appreciate all responses.
Thank you!

Old 12-03-2019, 03:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi all,

I would like to check if HR will contact you via email or phone call if you are selected for interview?

Seems to have differing methods base on previous threads.

Appreciate all responses.
Thank you!

I was selected for interview and they contacted me via email, to which I also responded via email. However, if you don't respond via email, i think they will call you?
Old 12-03-2019, 11:27 PM
Ambition

Default What will be will be

Mindef HR works to matchmaker commanders with candidates. Both Email and phone calls are methods they use. From my experience, they put in much effort to contact candidates in contrast to private.

However, their number is local, but invalid. If you get a missed call that you cannot revert, congrats the next stage is within reach.
Old 14-03-2019, 12:30 AM

newbie94 is on a distinguished road
Default About the psychometric test

Just wanna help those who are curious about the psychometric test. There are 3 parts to it.

1) First part is reasoning test. 60 questions to be completed within 30 minutes. Random paragraphs will be given and 4 questions will be asked for each paragraph. Only 3 possible answers - true, false and cannot tell. This part is the most difficult IMHO as most people couldn't finish on time.

2) Second part is progressive matrices (i.e. pattern deduction). 60 questions within 20 minutes. Most were relatively straightforward.

3) Third and last part is personality questionnaire + problem solving. No time limit. 185 questions of which last 15 questions were problem solving. For example they will ask you "Minute is to hour just as second is to ___."

Test shouldn't take longer than 2h 15min.
Old 14-03-2019, 06:51 PM
Ambition

Smile My own experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie94 View Post
Just wanna help those who are curious about the psychometric test. There are 3 parts to it.

1) First part is reasoning test. 60 questions to be completed within 30 minutes. Random paragraphs will be given and 4 questions will be asked for each paragraph. Only 3 possible answers - true, false and cannot tell. This part is the most difficult IMHO as most people couldn't finish on time.
It is quite difficult as it tests interpretation and at the same time your ability to follow the law of the word. For example only. The text says "men performed stellar in exams than girls in 1980s". The question asks, "men are generally more clever: T /F /CT". I would answer CT another person may interpret as T. Because the answer is not obvious, during my session most can finish but correct or not is another issue.

2) Second part is progressive matrices (i.e. pattern deduction). 60 questions within 20 minutes. Most were relatively straightforward.
during my session most of the unhappiness came from this booklet when the invigilator stopped the clock. Many participants proclaimed they completed 40 plus only.

3) Third and last part is personality questionnaire + problem solving. No time limit. 185 questions of which last 15 questions were problem solving. For example, they will ask you "Minute is to hour just as second is to ___."

Test shouldn't take longer than 2h 15min.
Good on you buddy.