Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1722-ministry-defence-singapore-dxo-all-faq.html)

fi_east 05-04-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50208)
After not hearing from them about 3 weeks since PT, decided to drop an email to them to check about it. Its then i was replied with a rejection email. Sometimes it is good to push them for an answer, at least wont be stuck there awaiting for reply. Im now thinking if i should try again.

I applied i think 4 times, each time ask go PT, each time i replied i have taken PT within a year so can use my old PT, than after a few weeks always got rejection mail.. dunno maybe i do bad for my PT or what.. haha.. i read that PT did have a pass or fail.. even if u never complete PTon that day, the system can is still smart enough to give a pass or fail..

Unregistered 07-04-2014 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fi_east (Post 50215)
I applied i think 4 times, each time ask go PT, each time i replied i have taken PT within a year so can use my old PT, than after a few weeks always got rejection mail.. dunno maybe i do bad for my PT or what.. haha.. i read that PT did have a pass or fail.. even if u never complete PTon that day, the system can is still smart enough to give a pass or fail..

I have a friend who went tgt with me for PT. He was rejected one week after it while i waites for 3 weeks till i write in for response. Maybe i shld really try to reapply and see how it goes. Do we need to fill up those application form again?

Unregistered 07-04-2014 11:03 PM

Hi, I was shortlisted for the PT one working day after i applied.
Anyone can share what will be the PT be about?

Unregistered 11-04-2014 07:06 PM

Roughly how much is the "glass ceiling" for a engineering 2nd lower hons grad? lets say for an average B grader only...can at least hit 8k/mth after 10 years?

Unregistered 11-04-2014 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50426)
Roughly how much is the "glass ceiling" for a engineering 2nd lower hons grad? lets say for an average B grader only...can at least hit 8k/mth after 10 years?

Theres no glass ceiling by no. Of years. But 8k after 10 years possible.

jamz 11-04-2014 11:42 PM

im feeling demoralised.
did not even get a call/email on a PT.
they said they'll get back with a reject or shortlist. Im getting nothing!

Unregistered 12-04-2014 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamz (Post 50435)
im feeling demoralised.
did not even get a call/email on a PT.
they said they'll get back with a reject or shortlist. Im getting nothing!

How long already? DXO not that easy to get in in the first place. Maybe try something easier la. What are your qualifications? Local degree second upper at least?

Unregistered 12-04-2014 12:08 PM

Actually the PT is very easy. They don't take the best of the best for the results. All you have to do is to hit the minimum. And even so, it is only a small portion of the assessment. Your qualifications and experiences matter. And sometimes... connections.

fi_east 12-04-2014 02:35 PM

So far everytime i apply i got call for PT, but never got shortlisted for an interview.. haha.. btw im a diploma holder.. i applied dxo diploma position btw..

Unregistered 12-04-2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fi_east (Post 50459)
So far everytime i apply i got call for PT, but never got shortlisted for an interview.. haha.. btw im a diploma holder.. i applied dxo diploma position btw..

DXEA shd be easier to get through. In fact, it is the officers level that is over saturated.

fi_east 12-04-2014 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50446)
How long already? DXO not that easy to get in in the first place. Maybe try something easier la. What are your qualifications? Local degree second upper at least?

Dxea is diffrent, dxea job vacancies job advert also have their own website, this one i apply is at the dxo website.. position open to diploma and degree holders.. dont get confuse here..

Unregistered 16-04-2014 07:04 PM

How long did you wait for email about site visit?

Hi Guys & Gals,

I interviewed for a DXO position on 4th April.

The HR interviewer told me that I will be notified within 2 weeks even if I am not selected.

Regarding what she said, I have 2 questions:
1) Is site visit offer always made within 2 weeks of interview?
2) Will MINDEF HR really inform you if you do not make it past the interview stage?

Thanks!

Unregistered 16-04-2014 09:10 PM

Just got email from Mindef I am not shortlisted after PT, can try 1 year later :(.

Took them about 2.5 weeks for the rejection email, fyi guys.

Unregistered 16-04-2014 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50614)
Just got email from Mindef I am not shortlisted after PT, can try 1 year later :(.

Took them about 2.5 weeks for the rejection email, fyi guys.

Thanks for sharing.

Unregistered 21-04-2014 07:02 PM

No News

Hi everyone,

I went to the PT since 12 March, till today no news for any interviews. :( I have a Masters degree from NUS recently but graduated from an Oz Uni for my Bachelors.

Last week, I sent an email to inform them that I left out some of the documents for submission the other day and if I could send them the soft copies. I slipped in the question to ask if there was any news of the application. They replied the next day to say if they need the documents they will ask for the soft copies again. They didn't answer my 2nd question on the application. Should I persist and ask about news of the application? I damn scared kena rejection letter once I ask again. But this is taking way too long. Wonder if I really screwed it up for not completing the PT questionaire.

Anyone who took the PT that period in the same situation too?

UnregisteredSoul 28-04-2014 11:07 PM

Curious

Good day,

I'm currently studying for my Masters Degree in Information Systems (IT) on top of my existing 2nd Uppers Honours Degree. 3 years of working experience in my company (As a software engineer in defence business related projects), and I have been considering DXO career for quite some time.

Salary-wise, what should be the expectations of someone described above fare for the following IT-related positions?

- Executive (Learning Facility Management)
- Executive (Doctrine)
- Executive (Mapping)
- Technical Officer (Mapping)

I understand that DXO's IT-related careers isn't so much technical (my current job) as it is policy and process-oriented.

UnregisteredSoul 28-04-2014 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnregisteredSoul (Post 50942)
Good day,

I'm currently studying for my Masters Degree in Information Systems (IT) on top of my existing 2nd Uppers Honours Degree. 3 years of working experience in my company (As a software engineer in defence business related projects), and I have been considering DXO career for quite some time.

Salary-wise, what should be the expectations of someone described above fare for the following IT-related positions?

- Executive (Learning Facility Management)
- Executive (Doctrine)
- Executive (Mapping)
- Technical Officer (Mapping)

I understand that DXO's IT-related careers isn't so much technical (my current job) as it is policy and process-oriented.

Bump with additional question. For IT-based engineers, does MINDEF take into account your previous salary when making an offer?

Unregistered 29-04-2014 04:35 PM

Hi I need some advice.

I applied for a position, went through PT, one round of interview and unit preview subsequent. I was told to wait for news in the next few weeks. However I saw the position that I applied for was advertised again on their website. What does that mean???

Unregistered 03-05-2014 11:47 AM

It's been nearly a month since I took the PT. If I don't get a reply, should I write in? Or continue waiting?

Unregistered 04-05-2014 03:20 AM

anyone knows the salary range?

I am going for health check soon. the appt I was offered was staff officer. anyone has any idea of the salary range for this dxo appt?

Unregistered 04-05-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 51099)
I am going for health check soon. the appt I was offered was staff officer. anyone has any idea of the salary range for this dxo appt?

you have to state your degree, age and gender when you post this question. DXOs are mostly staff officers in MINDEF. you have to be exact. in general, most DXOs start at grade 9.

Unregistered 07-05-2014 01:53 AM

I want to ask, pay-wise DXO better or MXO?

I heard MXO after 1 year will auto promote? DXO no have? Means in the long term your pay is lower?

omnia 11-05-2014 12:01 PM

So what does a research officer really does? Will there be lots of paper work and you need to have a very strong General Paper writing skills? Are these sets of skills been acquired from the job useful if the person were to venture out to other jobs next time?

Unregistered 11-05-2014 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 51174)
I want to ask, pay-wise DXO better or MXO?

I heard MXO after 1 year will auto promote? DXO no have? Means in the long term your pay is lower?

DXOs are paid a premium over the MXOs, in general.

imgirl 15-05-2014 09:28 PM

Anyone knows whats the increment once you once probation as a dxo? What's the percentage?

Unregistered 19-05-2014 12:38 PM

PT results

Anyone went for the PT early May 14 have their results announced?

Unregistered 19-05-2014 03:16 PM

DXO Unit Preview

Hi, does anyone know what to expect for a unit preview? Additionally, I was told that there would be another round of interview too. Does anyone know what the interview will be about in general?

Thanks!

Unregistered 19-05-2014 05:46 PM

Went for PT on 9 may. Still no reply yet. Anyone here received any news on it yet?

Unregistered 27-05-2014 11:17 AM

I did PT on 2 May and received a call from them for interview on 22nd May and email 23rd May. about 3 weeks after PT.

Any idea how is the 1h written assessment like? Had to do it before my interview tomorrow. My position is a finance executive.

Unregistered 08-06-2014 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50967)
Hi I need some advice.

I applied for a position, went through PT, one round of interview and unit preview subsequent. I was told to wait for news in the next few weeks. However I saw the position that I applied for was advertised again on their website. What does that mean???

FYI, the application is a prolonged process. seeing the advertisement of the position you applied for can either mean that they have forgotten to take down the advert, or it could also mean that the position is still open.

however in most cases, going for a unit preview means a 50% success in obtaining that position. what's next would be your medical checkup and security clearance.

the entire process took 3 months for me.

Unregistered 08-06-2014 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 51571)
Hi, does anyone know what to expect for a unit preview? Additionally, I was told that there would be another round of interview too. Does anyone know what the interview will be about in general?

Thanks!

a unit preview involves mostly your future bosses walking you through your work area, giving you a more in-depth understanding of your job as well as the working environment. i for one did not undergo a second interview during the unit preview, but i've heard that some applicants actually had to go through that.

i guess it depends on the position you applied. but i believe that is mostly if the bosses actually hold interest in 2 or more applicants for a particular position. it also gives the applicants a chance to make a final decision on whether they believe they are suitable for the job or not. hope it clarifies!

Lumin 16-06-2014 03:00 PM

Need help !!!

I went for the PT test around 2-3 weeks ago, and I just got a call that requires me to do another test T.T

Basically the job I applied for is strategist, and for the position, it seems that I need to do another 24 hr test. The time I choose to start the test is this Friday Morning.

Does anyone has any idea what the test is testing ? Like essays or MCQs (In my dreams) ?

And how far it is for me the job ?

So far I have spent 1.5 months le, not yet even 1st interview T.T

Unregistered 17-06-2014 07:45 PM

bonuses

Any existing DXOs care to share about the bonuses? e.g usually receive how many months (range). Thanks. I am glad to answer any queries to my best knowledge too

Unregistered 18-06-2014 01:54 PM

Thinking of doing a mid career switch at the age of 40.

Does Mindef or DXO take in someone with a EEE PhD and come from a semiconductor industry?
If the switch is possible, what are the positions available in Mindef and DXO?

Unregistered 18-06-2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 52503)
Thinking of doing a mid career switch at the age of 40.

Does Mindef or DXO take in someone with a EEE PhD and come from a semiconductor industry?
If the switch is possible, what are the positions available in Mindef and DXO?

You might want to look at DSTA/DSO. Since you have a Phd, you might be more relevant there. DSTA/DSO are the research/procurement arms of the SAF. But I hear that the salary is not very attractive. You can try applying, but I don't think there are any DXO engineers. Most of their engineering needs are outsourced to ST and they have their own regular engineers in their Military Expert scale. You could apply for management positions and whatnot if you have the experience.

Unregistered 18-06-2014 08:25 PM

Hi everyone, anyone knows how long to wait for news after unit preview? Thanks!

Unregistered 19-06-2014 11:10 AM

I waited for 3-4 weeks after unit preview before they call to say the hiring manager is keen

Unregistered 19-06-2014 11:58 AM

just checking - anyone that taken PT on 11th Jun (Wed) and got called up for interview yet?

Unregistered 21-06-2014 01:24 AM

I applied in Feb 2014, when for PT in March. First interview in May. Unit preview June.

After the unit preview - next day, HR called to say I got selected and confirmed they will match my expect salary.

Just did medical checkup today, the HR said they can only offer me in mid July.

Apparently, there are some clearances and approvals that must be sought first.

Unregistered 21-06-2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 52467)
Any existing DXOs care to share about the bonuses? e.g usually receive how many months (range). Thanks. I am glad to answer any queries to my best knowledge too

good performer (not C grader) can expect about 5-7 months' bonuses in all, dependent also on the market conditions. MINDEF has always placed high emphasis on rewarding only DXOs who can perform, for your info.