MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) - Page 327 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #3261 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2020, 02:32 PM
flower95
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi everyone,

I am a fresh graduate from one of the local university, holding FCH. Just wondering if it would be better for fresh graduate to explore private sector before joining as a DXO? I heard people saying that joining DXO will limit the future opportunities since the skills used and picked up as a DXO is very niche and not transferable. To what extent is this true? Appreciate if you guys can share your views if a fresh grad should join DXO? TIA!
Hello there!
I am a recent grad too (graduated late last year). Just a disclaimer first that I am not an experienced DXO but more of a current applicant.

My thoughts for your question is that, ultimately, what is the purpose or the end objective you are really looking for / aiming to achieve? Like for me, I am really looking into a more purposeful/meaningful career and I am more keen to contribute to public interests as compared to the interest of a single entity, I feel that by joining DXO, it's a good chance to learn new stuff and also contribute back to the nation. If I am just looking into future opportunities, then yes, I would focus more on private sector as I believed it do has more growth opportunities and lesser boundaries.

If you dont mind me asking, what's your motivation to apply for DXO positions?



SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #3262 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2020, 05:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower95 View Post
Hello there!
I am a recent grad too (graduated late last year). Just a disclaimer first that I am not an experienced DXO but more of a current applicant.

My thoughts for your question is that, ultimately, what is the purpose or the end objective you are really looking for / aiming to achieve? Like for me, I am really looking into a more purposeful/meaningful career and I am more keen to contribute to public interests as compared to the interest of a single entity, I feel that by joining DXO, it's a good chance to learn new stuff and also contribute back to the nation. If I am just looking into future opportunities, then yes, I would focus more on private sector as I believed it do has more growth opportunities and lesser boundaries.

If you dont mind me asking, what's your motivation to apply for DXO positions?
Hello! Thank you for your advice! Honestly, the reason I applied for DXO position is for the job stability and of course hoping to pick up new skills. But I heard skills acquired as a DXO is not transferable which kind of worries me as I'm not sure if joining DXO will tie down my career path to be in the public sector for the rest of my life since promotion/career advancement is pretty much limited as a DXO since we have uniformed personnel (they may eventually be converted to a DXO after 50) and scholars.

Don't mind me asking, do you intend to serve in the public sector in your entire career life or have you thought of exploring other fields as well?

Reply With Quote
  #3263 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2020, 06:22 PM
Guest 1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi everyone,

I am a fresh graduate from one of the local university, holding FCH. Just wondering if it would be better for fresh graduate to explore private sector before joining as a DXO? I heard people saying that joining DXO will limit the future opportunities since the skills used and picked up as a DXO is very niche and not transferable. To what extent is this true? Appreciate if you guys can share your views if a fresh grad should join DXO? TIA!
A hard one, join the private sector if you want growth. Else go for DXO if you want a stagnant job because progression may be tough.



SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #3264 (permalink)  
Old 19-06-2020, 06:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower95 View Post
Hello there!
I am a recent grad too (graduated late last year). Just a disclaimer first that I am not an experienced DXO but more of a current applicant.

My thoughts for your question is that, ultimately, what is the purpose or the end objective you are really looking for / aiming to achieve? Like for me, I am really looking into a more purposeful/meaningful career and I am more keen to contribute to public interests as compared to the interest of a single entity, I feel that by joining DXO, it's a good chance to learn new stuff and also contribute back to the nation. If I am just looking into future opportunities, then yes, I would focus more on private sector as I believed it do has more growth opportunities and lesser boundaries.

If you dont mind me asking, what's your motivation to apply for DXO positions?
Hello! Thank you for your advice! The reason I applied for DXO position is for the job security and of course to pick up new skills. However, I was told that the acquired skills as a DXO are not transferable which worries me as I don't see myself working as a DXO for my entire career life. Also, I was told there will be limitation when it comes to career progression and promotion since more focus will be placed on uniformed personnel and scholars.

Don't mind my questions, do you intend to serve in the public sector for long? Or you have thoughts of venturing out after working as a DXO?
Reply With Quote
  #3265 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2020, 02:40 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

FCH from a local u?

My personal view, you’re better of starting out in Management Associate programmes in other stat boards. (i.e: EDB, ESG, IMDA) or GLC grad schemes (PSA, Keppel etc.). If you want to swim within the depths of bureaucracy, heck, the MFA’s FSO track will provide you with better exit opp compared to MINDEF DXO scheme.

Only if you fail to get into all of the above should you then apply for a DXO role.
Reply With Quote
  #3266 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2020, 03:27 PM
flower95
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello! Thank you for your advice! The reason I applied for DXO position is for the job security and of course to pick up new skills. However, I was told that the acquired skills as a DXO are not transferable which worries me as I don't see myself working as a DXO for my entire career life. Also, I was told there will be limitation when it comes to career progression and promotion since more focus will be placed on uniformed personnel and scholars.

Don't mind my questions, do you intend to serve in the public sector for long? Or you have thoughts of venturing out after working as a DXO?
yep, if I do manage to get in, I do intend to serve for a long period of time.
Reply With Quote

  #3267 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2020, 11:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
FCH from a local u?

My personal view, you’re better of starting out in Management Associate programmes in other stat boards. (i.e: EDB, ESG, IMDA) or GLC grad schemes (PSA, Keppel etc.). If you want to swim within the depths of bureaucracy, heck, the MFA’s FSO track will provide you with better exit opp compared to MINDEF DXO scheme.

Only if you fail to get into all of the above should you then apply for a DXO role.
hi what's GLC?
Reply With Quote
  #3268 (permalink)  
Old 21-06-2020, 04:51 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

DXO is for those who reached military retirement age but want to continue 10 more years. don't sign on DXO unless you're trolling your life
Reply With Quote
  #3269 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2020, 01:47 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hi what's GLC?
Government-Linked Companies.
Reply With Quote
  #3270 (permalink)  
Old 22-06-2020, 08:49 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
DXO is for those who reached military retirement age but want to continue 10 more years. don't sign on DXO unless you're trolling your life
It is a good mid career place? or you think it is totally worthless?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Higher starting salaries for MINDEF and SAF entrants Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 06-04-2012 07:31 AM
MINDEF and SAF Sign-On Bonuses Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 16-08-2009 03:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
MasterCard Graduate Developement... ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 6,883 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,960 Replies, 1,816,014 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,017 Replies, 1,160,500 Views
Pay grade at CSA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
149 Replies, 39,922 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,910 Replies, 6,032,292 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,109 Replies, 3,888,291 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,055 Replies, 282,911 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,462 Replies, 2,051,570 Views
How Much Do You Need to Earn... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
38 Replies, 18,489 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,518 Replies, 1,004,762 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
125 Replies, 92,261 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,674 Replies, 1,372,987 Views
Advantages
3 Replies, 1,308 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
168 Replies, 17,910 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,726 Replies, 3,177,794 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,054 Replies, 835,146 Views
Credit Suisse - IB Academy
0 Replies, 88 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,802 Replies, 1,182,135 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
363 Replies, 125,816 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
425 Replies, 277,649 Views
HSBC Graduate Programme 2021 ( 1 2 3)
27 Replies, 3,380 Views
singapore Pools
1 Replies, 3,696 Views
advice pls
4 Replies, 253 Views
SEA Limited
3 Replies, 714 Views
Volunteering as a civil/public...
0 Replies, 187 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
147 Replies, 54,915 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
54 Replies, 56,905 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2020 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
155 Replies, 37,096 Views
Bunker trader ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
47 Replies, 24,395 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2