MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) - Page 230 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #2291 (permalink)  
Old 22-04-2019, 08:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Defence budget hard to beat to be honest
hows the bonuses?

i know uniform ppl quite high, but what about DXO?

Reply With Quote
  #2292 (permalink)  
Old 23-04-2019, 11:21 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 6
Candidus is on a distinguished road
Default

Just want to hear from the rest,

I am 26, currently working in a private landscape industry. I have 3 years of working experience as a supervisor. Do you think its possible and feasible to change to a DXO job? I wanted to be a DXO after i ORD-ed but decide to do something which I have interest first.

But my priority changed now as I would like to earn a higher salary for investments to generate more income for my future. My current salary is $2200. From $1300 when I first started as a Gardener Intern when I was 23.

Most likely I will be trying for an executive position since Managers level require a tertiary education, I'm quite sure they are only looking at degree. Is it possible to work my way up from there? Or eventually I will still need a degree to get promotions?

I am also interested in applying for the Training/HR/OD departments as I got keen interest in them.

Reply With Quote
  #2293 (permalink)  
Old 23-04-2019, 11:52 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candidus View Post
Just want to hear from the rest,

I am 26, currently working in a private landscape industry. I have 3 years of working experience as a supervisor. Do you think its possible and feasible to change to a DXO job? I wanted to be a DXO after i ORD-ed but decide to do something which I have interest first.

But my priority changed now as I would like to earn a higher salary for investments to generate more income for my future. My current salary is $2200. From $1300 when I first started as a Gardener Intern when I was 23.

Most likely I will be trying for an executive position since Managers level require a tertiary education, I'm quite sure they are only looking at degree. Is it possible to work my way up from there? Or eventually I will still need a degree to get promotions?

I am also interested in applying for the Training/HR/OD departments as I got keen interest in them.
Just try.. Its for them to consider you. Everything said here is just speculation. If your ITE or Dip cert is Trg HR OD... Is possible. Just keep in mind gov is fixated on qualification. However, you may not like the offered salary... Just saying.

Reply With Quote
  #2294 (permalink)  
Old 23-04-2019, 12:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hello and welcome!

To be honest, like what the above post mention (and see the rest of the civil service timeline and salary), the service focuses a bit on qualification.

Yes, going for an executive possible and then getting to a part-time degree with help from MINDEF.

I advise you to apply something closer to your qualifications. Otherwise, it may be hard to justify and even promote in the longer run since most of the regulars officers and DXO would have a degree qualification.

I think most managers post in Training and OD are 'staff' position - tabling papers and etc, so there are a lot of writing involved, and hence they would definitely prefer someone with degree qualification.

just try for it, you never try you never know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candidus View Post
Just want to hear from the rest,

I am 26, currently working in a private landscape industry. I have 3 years of working experience as a supervisor. Do you think its possible and feasible to change to a DXO job? I wanted to be a DXO after i ORD-ed but decide to do something which I have interest first.

But my priority changed now as I would like to earn a higher salary for investments to generate more income for my future. My current salary is $2200. From $1300 when I first started as a Gardener Intern when I was 23.

Most likely I will be trying for an executive position since Managers level require a tertiary education, I'm quite sure they are only looking at degree. Is it possible to work my way up from there? Or eventually I will still need a degree to get promotions?

I am also interested in applying for the Training/HR/OD departments as I got keen interest in them.
Reply With Quote
  #2295 (permalink)  
Old 23-04-2019, 01:49 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 6
Candidus is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello and welcome!

To be honest, like what the above post mention (and see the rest of the civil service timeline and salary), the service focuses a bit on qualification.

Yes, going for an executive possible and then getting to a part-time degree with help from MINDEF.

I advise you to apply something closer to your qualifications. Otherwise, it may be hard to justify and even promote in the longer run since most of the regulars officers and DXO would have a degree qualification.

I think most managers post in Training and OD are 'staff' position - tabling papers and etc, so there are a lot of writing involved, and hence they would definitely prefer someone with degree qualification.

just try for it, you never try you never know!
Say I get a job as an executive, will doing the part time degree help me in my career after I graduate? I understand that its almost definitive to take a degree to progress in civil service or MINDEF. I have seen my past SAF officers doing this.

The other question is, changing my career path now to another industry (from landscape to DXO/office job), will it affect much? I read past postings that we should stay in an industry and gain more specialised skills/knowledge through our individual's career progression.
Reply With Quote
  #2296 (permalink)  
Old 23-04-2019, 02:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candidus View Post
Say I get a job as an executive, will doing the part time degree help me in my career after I graduate? I understand that its almost definitive to take a degree to progress in civil service or MINDEF. I have seen my past SAF officers doing this.

The other question is, changing my career path now to another industry (from landscape to DXO/office job), will it affect much? I read past postings that we should stay in an industry and gain more specialised skills/knowledge through our individual's career progression.
Buddy, I thought you Want to change your career path? You can change your industry... Sure... But if u really want big money you should not change your field... Such as staying in accounts dept of landscape.. Then going to mindef and continue in accounts...to me it's not a bad thing... You can also stay in landscape all your life and know everything about it, be your own boss.

The whole public service is quite obsessed over academic.

IMHO if u want both money n interest, up your financial literacy and invest on the side. Grow 1k into 1.5k, 1.5 into 2.5... One day it becomes 100k.. You may even start your own online business and maybe.. Be an online florist? By now you should be an expert green finger right. Dabble into terrariums, creative bouquets.. U know better than me.
Reply With Quote

  #2297 (permalink)  
Old 23-04-2019, 02:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Definitely - can help interns of salary and progression. Yes, i think SAF officers need a degree to go to Captain (or otherwise it will take realllllllly long), since CPT has a 'staff' rotation.

I think it's okay to change industry. Honestly if you see what people study at uni, many do not actually work in something that is what they study. In one interview I went for, the Director told me they need the skills in critical thinking and reasoning which the uni should have trained me in... I think if you can do what like you like well, then it is a plus point.

I mean you never know what you dislike until you try it right? Haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candidus View Post
Say I get a job as an executive, will doing the part time degree help me in my career after I graduate? I understand that its almost definitive to take a degree to progress in civil service or MINDEF. I have seen my past SAF officers doing this.

The other question is, changing my career path now to another industry (from landscape to DXO/office job), will it affect much? I read past postings that we should stay in an industry and gain more specialised skills/knowledge through our individual's career progression.
Reply With Quote
  #2298 (permalink)  
Old 23-04-2019, 02:28 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 6
Candidus is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Buddy, I thought you Want to change your career path? You can change your industry... Sure... But if u really want big money you should not change your field... Such as staying in accounts dept of landscape.. Then going to mindef and continue in accounts...to me it's not a bad thing... You can also stay in landscape all your life and know everything about it, be your own boss.

The whole public service is quite obsessed over academic.

IMHO if u want both money n interest, up your financial literacy and invest on the side. Grow 1k into 1.5k, 1.5 into 2.5... One day it becomes 100k.. You may even start your own online business and maybe.. Be an online florist? By now you should be an expert green finger right. Dabble into terrariums, creative bouquets.. U know better than me.
Yeah, my long term goal would be to invest and even start my own small business. I am also thinking of getting other certs to start a sideline flora business but all these would need a capital first. I just thought that getting a DXO job would fasten the pace since the salary will be much higher and benefits will be better.

As I do not plan to retire here, my goal was actually to earn money first, get a capital to start a small business in Philippines, buy houses there to earn passive income.

(sorry if this is getting out of topic!)


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #2299 (permalink)  
Old 23-04-2019, 05:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Haha thanks. I was reading that thereís an app on geolocation blocking - has it been deployed across SAF yet? I canít bear to sandblast the lenses of my iPhone. Haha.

Unless one carries another phone for work.
Just for info, rather than an app with geolocation blocking, the app let you disable your camera function instead. It's tagged with your card, and you must disable before going in.
However, not all red zone office/camps have this system in place yet.
Well, you still can go to 3rd party shop to get your camera removed or sand blast by yourselves and get the security officer in your unit/department to approve bring that phone in.
Reply With Quote
  #2300 (permalink)  
Old 23-04-2019, 09:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

anybody who took PT on 1st week of april and shortlisted for interview that will take place this week?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Higher starting salaries for MINDEF and SAF entrants Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 06-04-2012 07:31 AM
MINDEF and SAF Sign-On Bonuses Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 16-08-2009 03:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,089 Replies, 3,042,151 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
365 Replies, 414,233 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,844 Replies, 3,697,659 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
17,487 Replies, 6,773,285 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,270 Replies, 1,069,515 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
510 Replies, 265,599 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,346 Replies, 5,158,067 Views
Starting pay for fresh grad? ( 1 2 3)
28 Replies, 27,820 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,011 Replies, 906,921 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,730 Replies, 2,646,708 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,653 Replies, 9,299,838 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,131 Replies, 2,020,021 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,403 Replies, 2,416,918 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
999 Replies, 223,864 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
544 Replies, 195,366 Views
Bnp paribas graduate ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
191 Replies, 106,660 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,199 Replies, 554,898 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,283 Replies, 1,532,006 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
166 Replies, 51,366 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,660 Replies, 3,210,532 Views
I need honest advice. Jump to... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
43 Replies, 21,862 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
44 Replies, 5,839 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
257 Replies, 269,458 Views
Credit Suisse
9 Replies, 4,295 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
142 Replies, 141,132 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,462 Replies, 670,109 Views
share your experience about...
3 Replies, 242 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,319 Replies, 733,606 Views
Work in pharmacy
5 Replies, 1,656 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,044 Replies, 680,338 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2