MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) - Page 164 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it)

Old 11-08-2017, 01:08 AM

cymcollin is on a distinguished road

Currently im working in a stat board but would like to apply for DXO position. I was told that mindef would only accept the local U degrees.

1) Would like to check if anybody knows is that true as my degree is from Murdoch Kaplan?

2) if it is true that only the local U degrees are accepted would HR consider the masters from Singapore University of Social Sciences (previously known as SIM) as one of the local U?

3) And if the HR do consider the masters from Singapore University of Social Sciences as local U would they still view it unfavorably given my degree is not from local?

4) I would be around 40 years after getting my masters, not sure if age then be an issue?

Hope someone here can enlighten me as i do not want to waste my time and money on a master only to find out it is not going to help me in applying for a DXO position, thanks

Old 12-08-2017, 08:54 AM
Unregistered

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymcollin View Post
Currently im working in a stat board but would like to apply for DXO position. I was told that mindef would only accept the local U degrees.

1) Would like to check if anybody knows is that true as my degree is from Murdoch Kaplan?

2) if it is true that only the local U degrees are accepted would HR consider the masters from Singapore University of Social Sciences (previously known as SIM) as one of the local U?

3) And if the HR do consider the masters from Singapore University of Social Sciences as local U would they still view it unfavorably given my degree is not from local?

4) I would be around 40 years after getting my masters, not sure if age then be an issue?

Hope someone here can enlighten me as i do not want to waste my time and money on a master only to find out it is not going to help me in applying for a DXO position, thanks
hi, i am not an expert and also quite relatively new to mindef. so take my words as just an opinion.

However, from what i see, if you have relevant experience and if your masters is relevant to the position you are applying, you definitely have a chance. for your age, if you apply to a executive position, you might lose out to fresh local grads. if you apply as mid-career to a mid management position with relevant experience and degree, then have better chance.

age is no issue if you bring value to the job. the reason there are DXOs is because MINDEF needs expertise from the private sector. a soldier can only do so much without outside experience.

good luck.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
No idea which point you did not agree with.

at no point did the previous poster mention pay depends on actual output. over the top salary depends on rank, not the job they hold.

no idea what you meant by MORE work life balance. work life balance is always there if you knock off on time. we may have difference definitions on it. if you meant job scope, as mentioned, some are more operational than others while some are more administrative. Hence, there is different level of stress.
It is common to see DXOs working in xxx to go for breakfast after 9am during working hours. I wouldn't state the particular address but most people know that assuming salary is the same across all 2nd upper graduates in stat boards, DXOs have less workload.

4.2k for eating breakfast after 9am and knocking off work early in the name of unknown "meeting" is a good deal.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi please advise!

Anyone knows how much is the starting pay now for fresh grad?
Female, 2nd upp, local uni
Thinking of applying for a psychologist position

Do I enter as a DX9?
Roughly how long will it take to be promoted to DX10? and how is the salary like?

TIA!
All uni grads enter as DX9. Promotion to DX10 is usually within 2 years (some within 1.5 years) assuming nothing major happens. Just do your stuff diligently for 2 years and you get the promotion.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 13-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
All uni grads enter as DX9. Promotion to DX10 is usually within 2 years (some within 1.5 years) assuming nothing major happens. Just do your stuff diligently for 2 years and you get the promotion.
The thing is salary will stay stagnant at 7K + at the max for average performer. That is insufficient if one has family and kids. Private sector can allow for growth into the 5-digit bracket.
Old 16-08-2017, 04:36 PM
Unregistered

Anyone has any info on DCO (Defence Cyber Organisatio), e.g. working location, culture? Thanks!

Old 17-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
The thing is salary will stay stagnant at 7K + at the max for average performer. That is insufficient if one has family and kids. Private sector can allow for growth into the 5-digit bracket.
It is a gamble in the private sector. Most people don't break 5-figure per month. If you want a stable future, choose civil service. They offer substantial bursary to civil servants' kids and have one of the best overall package in the industry accounting for leaves and whatnot.

One thing to note is that, when you graduate with a 2nd lower from NUS/NTU/SMU, you are a job taker, not a job chooser. You have to be realistic with your capability.
Old 17-08-2017, 11:40 AM
Unregistered

Hi, I have previously passed the PT, attended interview, unit preview for a DXO post earlier this year. However, was not offered the job and it was offered to another candidate. I now see that the same post is advertised in mindef dxo website. Do I stand a chance to be considered again if i were to apply for the same DXO post or any other relevant post? Or should I not waste time applying for the same post? Thanks
Old 18-08-2017, 09:12 PM
Unregistered

Cool

Quote:
Hi, I have previously passed the PT, attended interview, unit preview for a DXO post earlier this year. However, was not offered the job and it was offered to another candidate. I now see that the same post is advertised in mindef dxo website. Do I stand a chance to be considered again if i were to apply for the same DXO post or any other relevant post? Or should I not waste time applying for the same post? Thanks
hi there. if you are really interested in the job, you should try again.

The post you see online is just a generic name. the job offer may be not in the same location as the one you visited. You do stand a chance. i myself was rejected for my first post and i immediately re-applied and got another interview and got hired.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 20-08-2017, 09:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
It is a gamble in the private sector. Most people don't break 5-figure per month. If you want a stable future, choose civil service. They offer substantial bursary to civil servants' kids and have one of the best overall package in the industry accounting for leaves and whatnot.

One thing to note is that, when you graduate with a 2nd lower from NUS/NTU/SMU, you are a job taker, not a job chooser. You have to be realistic with your capability.
The key is to get into a bank role (either local or foreign both ok, back office also can). Work steadily and you will get promoted to AVP within 5 years. From here onwards, salary will only accelerate. Change job n you will get another pay hike with the banking experience.