Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1722-ministry-defence-singapore-dxo-all-faq.html)

Unregistered 15-10-2014 04:12 PM

just took the psychometric test this morning.

completed only 45 out of 60 for the first part and barely finished the second...sigh. does anyone know if the psychometric test results are looked at in relation to the post you applied for or are the results judged from a general 'are you fit to be a DXO in the first place' perspective?

Unregistered 16-10-2014 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57728)
just took the psychometric test this morning.

completed only 45 out of 60 for the first part and barely finished the second...sigh. does anyone know if the psychometric test results are looked at in relation to the post you applied for or are the results judged from a general 'are you fit to be a DXO in the first place' perspective?

unless you have rich work experience, very good academic results and/or outstanding cca performance, you likely will not get through those popular positions, especially those that welcome fresh grads.

Unregistered 16-10-2014 10:56 AM

If I didn't make it through the psychometric test round can I apply to do the test again any time or do I have to wait 1 year to retake it?

in3deep 17-10-2014 08:35 PM

took psycho test 1 week ago

no updates yet

is this normal?

Unregistered 18-10-2014 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57752)
If I didn't make it through the psychometric test round can I apply to do the test again any time or do I have to wait 1 year to retake it?

have to wait for exactly one year to retake. you can't retake again.

But you can feel free to keep applying the job positions, just that they will use the psychometric test you have taken within the year.

Unregistered 18-10-2014 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57727)
Managed to scroll past some of the responses, hope I can help out here. Some background about me, Currently a DXO, worked for slightly over a year, degree awarded by Unism (Note: not SIM, MINDEF do not recognize SIM Global), no honors just a pass degree and previously in MOE. I came to SAF as a mid- career switch but pay offered was 3k plus and after confirmation and recent pay adjustment, pay now approx. $4k.

I pulled some strings and referred my bro to the SAF Film Unit, but he didn't managed to go pass the interview session. The 'strings' I pulled is referring my bro through an employee referral system. My bro managed to pass psychometric test but didn't go beyond that. I referred other friends and they didn't managed to pass psychometric tests so no offer. 'Pulling strings' does no work.

If you go for interview/unit preview and not get a reply after 2 weeks, means you are not in. If you are in, you will know within a week.

Pros
Healthy Work-life balance
Competitive remuneration schemes
Can take leave very easily, work less demanding, SAF takes very good care of its employees.
Bosses are generally very nice and friendly as long as you are respectful.
Very flexible hours and you are home usually before 7pm (unless you work in CMPB or MINDEF)
Little or no politics, work is relaxed and less demanding, people are understanding, keep asking you to have more babies... etc fun environment. Very pro- family!
If you have a family, want quality time, hopes for more personal time and feels obliged to be there for your kids, come to MINDEF.

Cons
Extremely Bureaucratic and many red tapes. Processes are slow and changes are not fast enough to be reactive and helpful.
Personally, I have met some senior commanders who are arrogant, narrow minded and self- righteous. They feel that they are very important and they want others to make them feel important. I don't like it. They can be very full of themselves and boastful (about salaries). One commander told me he earned a quarter million last year and he feels underpaid. IMO, defence is like insurance, better to have it when you don't need it then to not have it when you need it. I know its importance but I cannot help but feel that the organization likes to justify its salary and benefits in the premise of the life- changing work it does.
Arrowing work. Supervisors will always arrow work out and find fault with the lowest living forms. I despise that. And the white- horse, scholar worshipping cultures.
Non transferable skill-sets, hard to define contributions and achievements. The things some DXOs do are very specialized and cannot be transferred elsewhere.

In the end, I left after 17months in the organization, it was a fruitful experience and I enjoyed the company of great colleagues and fun environment. No learning curves but you definitely become more vocal after that due to the need to write staff papers and minutes (not all). I personally had the experience of speaking with a senior command once and he refused to acknowledge me, not even look at me. Not offended, just want to point out that it is not for everyone. I enjoy a more challenging and corporate experience so I traded stability and comfort in the job for a more challenging job with greater learning experience.

Hope this helps.

Hi there, thanks for the info! I am quite similar to you in terms of background. Am in my last sem in unisim and currently intending to apply for dxo positions. Will grad with a pass degree with merit and i am currently with moe.

Would like to check if i could apply for a transfer within ministries? That is, from moe to mindef? Got such thing? The dxo job i am applying for is entirely different from what i am doing now thou.

Unregistered 19-10-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57828)
have to wait for exactly one year to retake. you can't retake again.

But you can feel free to keep applying the job positions, just that they will use the psychometric test you have taken within the year.

so basically if my psychometric test result determines that i'm not suitable to be in the service no matter what i won't be able to even get an interview within a year? sian.

Unregistered 20-10-2014 08:21 PM

Has anyone gone for an interview for the position of Media Analyst?

Unregistered 21-10-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57848)
Hi there, thanks for the info! I am quite similar to you in terms of background. Am in my last sem in unisim and currently intending to apply for dxo positions. Will grad with a pass degree with merit and i am currently with moe.

Would like to check if i could apply for a transfer within ministries? That is, from moe to mindef? Got such thing? The dxo job i am applying for is entirely different from what i am doing now thou.

No. Cannot. I've tried before. If you have a bond under MOE, you must complete your bond first before being able to join another ministry. If no bond, then yes, you can do it.

Unregistered 21-10-2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57965)
No. Cannot. I've tried before. If you have a bond under MOE, you must complete your bond first before being able to join another ministry. If no bond, then yes, you can do it.

Oh.. So i need to quit first before i join mindef if i can get the job? I have no bond currently.

Unregistered 21-10-2014 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in3deep (Post 57808)
took psycho test 1 week ago

no updates yet

is this normal?

I took my test on last week of august and still haven't got a reply yet. not even a rejection email.. wondering whether I should wait, give up or check with the HR?

in3deep 22-10-2014 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57982)
I took my test on last week of august and still haven't got a reply yet. not even a rejection email.. wondering whether I should wait, give up or check with the HR?

i received a call this week asking me to go down for intw

includes written test before the intw

Unregistered 22-10-2014 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in3deep (Post 58017)
i received a call this week asking me to go down for intw

includes written test before the intw

Congrats dude, how long was it between your psychometric test and getting the call? Mind revealing what position you're interviewing for?

in3deep 23-10-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58019)
Congrats dude, how long was it between your psychometric test and getting the call? Mind revealing what position you're interviewing for?

Thx Bro

Took 10 days after psycho test to get called for into

Finance dept

Unregistered 23-10-2014 10:09 AM

Anyone who took the psychometric test last wednesday and heard any news already?

I took it that day, it's been a week but still no news, be it rejection or calls for interviews. Getting anxious...

Unregistered 24-10-2014 01:11 PM

spend 5 mins reading through the previous messages on this thread, and you'll know that some people have had to wait MUCH longer than a week to hear back from MINDEF...

Unregistered 26-10-2014 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57982)

any updates? or did you check with hr?

Unregistered 27-10-2014 09:49 AM

Anyone know DX 6 or DX 7 salary range?

Unregistered 29-10-2014 09:26 PM

anyone knows how to check which position you applied for? There were 3 choices, and i forgot what i had listed. :(

Unregistered 29-10-2014 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in3deep (Post 58027)
Thx Bro

Took 10 days after psycho test to get called for into

Finance dept

Any updates for your MHA HASE position application?

Unregistered 30-10-2014 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58247)
anyone knows how to check which position you applied for? There were 3 choices, and i forgot what i had listed. :(

eh, just check the soft copy of the application form you sent them?

Unregistered 30-10-2014 01:47 AM

The position I applied for was recently reposted on careers.gov...does it mean I didn't make it through the psychometric test?

Unregistered 30-10-2014 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58256)
The position I applied for was recently reposted on careers.gov...does it mean I didn't make it through the psychometric test?

So long the position isn't filled, the closing date of the application will be automatically extended for another month.

in3deep 30-10-2014 12:51 PM

1 week since 1st interview

no updates abt whetehr made it to unit preview

:(

Unregistered 30-10-2014 11:46 PM

well officially two weeks since psychometric test for me and no news yet. anyone in the same boat?

and i guess that's a good thing? judging from previous posts no news is good news.

Unregistered 31-10-2014 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58287)
well officially two weeks since psychometric test for me and no news yet. anyone in the same boat?

and i guess that's a good thing? judging from previous posts no news is good news.

So many people want to join DXO?

Unregistered 31-10-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in3deep (Post 58269)
1 week since 1st interview

no updates abt whetehr made it to unit preview

:(

I notice you have been asking around regarding civil service interview. I'm curious and I wish to understand why you are so eager to enter join civil service.

Unregistered 31-10-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58291)
So many people want to join DXO?

it's one of the few public service organisations that have many openings for fresh grads/limited experience job changers

they have job vacancies that suit my degree

stable pay, stable hours

after ns i was adamant i would not go into mindef but my current horrible job and difficulty securing interviews with other companies made me think twice.

Unregistered 02-11-2014 02:12 PM

Going for Executive (Budget Planning and Management) interview soon

(took psychometric test early oct, received a call for interview few weeks later)

anybody went before? any tips?

apparently they told me the dept head will be going down for this interview too + the HR dept people. and there is a written test before the interview

Unregistered 04-11-2014 11:38 AM

hey guys, which email address do you direct your queries to when you want to check application/psychometric test status etc.?

is it [email protected]?

more than 2 weeks since psychometric test but no sound no picture from them, thinking of checking the status to get closure even if i'm rejected so i know to forget it and try again next year.

Unregistered 04-11-2014 04:01 PM

you can email the hr personnel who scheduled you for the psychometric test.

Unregistered 06-11-2014 06:53 PM

Project Lead and Executive

Curious, what is the difference in the salary grade for project lead and executive? Which one is higher?

Unregistered 13-11-2014 12:33 AM

Just checking... Anyone who took the psychometric test around 15 October or later who received either rejection or interview?

Unregistered 13-11-2014 07:12 PM

damn, its been 7 weeks since my first interview and still no news.

i contacted HR, and the person told me that he/she is also "pending replies from the units" and they'll let me know as soon as they have an update on my status.

wtf, why is this taking so damn long? should i look for other jobs?

Unregistered 13-11-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58752)

i contacted HR, and the person told me that he/she is also "pending replies from the units" and they'll let me know as soon as they have an update on my status.

If you are following the posts in this thread. You will find the answer you need.

If you have waited for 7 weeks since your interview, most likely you have been rejected. Time to look for other jobs.

Unregistered 17-11-2014 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 58752)

putting a positive spin on it, things might be slow as it's the end of year period where everyone is clearing leave and no one is around to make decisions.

Unregistered 24-11-2014 10:49 PM

Does anyone know how often defence psychologist positions become available?

Unregistered 25-11-2014 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 59210)
Does anyone know how often defence psychologist positions become available?

Not very frequent. I talked to one of them when mindef came down to my uni for a career talk before. They say that the position is very competitive and they get alot of applicants. Second Upper hons local uni is a minimum to even get a shot.

Unregistered 25-11-2014 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 59285)
Not very frequent. I talked to one of them when mindef came down to my uni for a career talk before. They say that the position is very competitive and they get alot of applicants. Second Upper hons local uni is a minimum to even get a shot.

but i thought that mindef is one of the biggest hirers of psychology grads in sg and they have many departments under defence psychology? hoping to join as defence psychologist...hearing this is sad.

Unregistered 26-11-2014 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 59288)
but i thought that mindef is one of the biggest hirers of psychology grads in sg and they have many departments under defence psychology? hoping to join as defence psychologist...hearing this is sad.

They are, they probably are the biggest hirers for psychology grads. Second would probably be MOE. But thing is, the supply of psychology grads is just simply too overwhelming. Too many psych grads with too little positions available. If you think about it, there are psych grads coming out of NTU, NUS and SMU. On top of that, almost every single private institute you can think of offers psychology degrees as well. SIM, MDIS, Kaplan, PSB literally all of them.