Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it)

Old 28-06-2016, 06:26 PM
Tim

Post Verbal reasoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Same here. How many questions did you manage to finish for the verbal reasoning? I finished only about half. I guess there's no harm in looking out for other opportunities!
Actually, I myself didn't have much problems with VB reasoning; only 4 questions I had to think really hard. I only completed 7 sudoku puzzles out of 20 as a newbie...that's the only obvious gap that people would have spotted.

Old 29-06-2016, 10:47 AM

Osiad is on a distinguished road
Default DX5 Unit Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiad View Post
Hey guys, just wondering how long does it take for HR to get back to you after a unit preview ?

Also anyone know how many people get to a unit preview on average? Or is it usually just one or two persons then they judge ?

What is usually done usually during the unit preview and how long does it take?
Just had my unit preview today and they told me that they have 2 more persons who are coming in for a unit preview and two more interviewees tomorrow.. Said it will be a long process but how long do they usually take ?

Old 29-06-2016, 12:04 PM
Unregistered

just received a call for the unit preview and wondering what usually goes on during the preview, other than introducing the candidate to where he/she will be working if they are accepted. I have been through two rounds of interview so I'm not sure what else to expect.

Old 29-06-2016, 03:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
just received a call for the unit preview and wondering what usually goes on during the preview, other than introducing the candidate to where he/she will be working if they are accepted. I have been through two rounds of interview so I'm not sure what else to expect.
Which position did you apply for? It seems (from reading the thread) that different units may have different styles.
Old 30-06-2016, 12:28 AM
Dick

For Mindef.
If you get posted to Mindef you'll soon realise that place is largely a wayang show. If you're an engineer. it's unlikely you will find romance with another engineer cos the capable engineers don't join DSTA. DUH!

You will meet loads of admin clerks. They earn about $1600. The smarter ones work in Mindef and then head for evening classes at SIM etc for further studies. After 3 years, they resign once they get their degree. I've seen a few return but in a much higher position. At least $1500 to $2000 pay jump.

If you're posted to Mindef there is transport from your home to there and vice-versa. You pay $80 monthly to the bus driver directly. It's really convenient. The only grievance is that sometimes the driver might drive off so it's good to have his hp number or some of the others who board the same bus as you.

Don't get into trouble with the military police and you'll be fine. Smoking points are conveniently located. Toilets are aplenty. Same with water dispensers. You have two floors of canteen food and if you don't like what's on offer then you can always head out to Bukit Panjang Plaza.

If you're posted to camps it's even better. You work alone or you have a partner. You basically eat snake everyday while earning an iron rice bowl. You might need to report to a uniformed officer but most of the time he doesn't bother you unless there's something urgent he needs from you.

DSTA/DXO is the same. The only slight difference can be the pay scale. Just take things easy. There are no jobs outside for local engineers given that so many engineers from 2nd and 3rd world countries are taking up private sector jobs for $2000 so for local engineers to join this sector makes sense.

Keep a low profile, keep your head down and earn the money. Clock your WITS suggestions, be punctual for work, don't take long meal breaks, don't get into trouble with the military police and you'll be fine.

It's all just one big wayang. It really depends on the environment and the culture. if you have a bunch of slackers then just follow suit. if you have one or two indian chiefs then make sure you up your game. after a month or two once these indian chiefs know that you're not the eat snake type then they will never ever bother you.

you will have so much of free time to daydream about that super hot girl you saw at the canteen or in the lift. all you need to do is stare at your monitor and place your hand on the mouse. so people passing by your cubicle will assume that you're busy trying to decipher some engineering code on your computer screen.

if you have people who are sitting beside you on either side of the cubicle then make sure that every now and then you
1) type on the keyboard
2) clicks on the mouse
3) use the telephone to make calls every hour etc so that the people on either side of you know that you're working.

mindef office space are pretty silent so much so that if you let off a fart, the people sitting beside you will know. so be warned! there will also be opportunities for you to be on outstation so you get to kill time by going to other camps for meetings or discussions. Again, these sessions are one big wayang cos important decisions have always already been made beforehand so whatever you guys are doing is just to talk nonsense, justify the reasons why the decision was such and such and then kill time till its 5pm to go home.

you will get to meet a lot of idiot who're basically clueless. and these will normally be people who're your superiors or senior colleagues. put your beliefs and opinions aside. just go with the flow. the civil service doesn't reward people with different mindsets or innovative ideas. the rule is simple. keep your head down, follow instructions, look forward to pay day and bonuses and take holidays with your family.

i guess the sad thing about DSTA/DXO/MDES or whatever silly scheme they will rename it is that if our loved ones such as gf, wife, parents were to be in invisible mode and they can see us in our offices and see the rubbish that we do day in day out, i think they will be sad. but oh well, must bring in the money then only can put food on table. I'm sure loved ones will understand, won't they?
Old 30-06-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Hey man, unit preview is basically an introduction to what your job scope is. They will show you what to do, how its done and the people you are working with. I kind of find it a little pointless though. However, maybe they have an issue with people pulling out after they start working there. I was introduced to my CO , and co-workers. That's what happened yesterday for me though.

Old 30-06-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Which position did you apply for? It seems (from reading the thread) that different units may have different styles.
Very true, I've read that an individual went for his/her first interview and wasn't contacted for about three weeks until he/she was called for their unit preview. Whereas I was called in for a unit preview withing three working days.

Only thing that worries me is that they told me they are still interviewing people for the position..
Old 30-06-2016, 11:17 PM
Unregistered

Anyone applied for mapping position?
Old 02-07-2016, 05:51 AM
Unregistered

Did anyone failed the medical or security clearance before?
Old 04-07-2016, 02:53 PM
Unregistered

Anyone went for PT on 23rd June and got called for interview?