Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1722-ministry-defence-singapore-dxo-all-faq.html)

Unregistered 16-09-2014 04:50 PM

Hi,
I am thinking of applying this post "Executive (Operations Development)", anyone know more about the scope of this post? English need to be very good mah?

Unregistered 17-09-2014 08:26 PM

Is it a prestigious job?

Unregistered 18-09-2014 11:36 AM

Erm, i am not very sure about it... any advises?

Unregistered 18-09-2014 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56561)
Is it a prestigious job?

what job would you consider as prestigious?

Unregistered 22-09-2014 06:16 PM

second round of interview

Hi,

Has anyone went for the second round of interview with a DD, but it was not a site visit? Like there wasnt any introduction to the workplace, just an interview?

Also, how long does it take for them to offer after the second interview?

Thanks!

Unregistered 23-09-2014 02:08 PM

Went for psychometric test back in August, was told to complete two written essays before being called for an interview. Whole process took about a month and a half.

What happens after the first round of interview? Any advices/insights will be much appreciated!

Unregistered 24-09-2014 10:18 PM

after the 1st interview (usually with the hiring manager), you will be called down for a second interview, usually with the higher management (eg DD). For the second interview, should be at the future workplace.

hope it helps!

Unregistered 25-09-2014 12:47 PM

thanks for the response.

my first interview actually involved a panel involving several deputy directors and a representative from HR. will be hearing back within 2 weeks about whether i move through to the next round or not.

in3deep 28-09-2014 01:56 AM

Just applied for dxo roles in the finance dept

Hopefully process will be smooth instead of massive delays

Unregistered 28-09-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in3deep (Post 56967)
Just applied for dxo roles in the finance dept

Hopefully process will be smooth instead of massive delays

Well, I would suggest you better be prepared to wait if you are applying for DXO position. I applied twice; both processes took me 3-4 months and I got rejected in the end.

Unregistered 30-09-2014 10:53 AM

so far, everyone who got rejected by DXO received rejection email/letter?

Just want to know whether there are people who got rejected and never heard from them at all.. so that I know when to give up and move on.

Unregistered 30-09-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57082)
so far, everyone who got rejected by DXO received rejection email/letter?

Just want to know whether there are people who got rejected and never heard from them at all.. so that I know when to give up and move on.

I received rejection email 3 times. First was after psychometric test, but not shortlisted for any positions. Twice were due to rejected after unit previews.

Unregistered 30-09-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57085)
I received rejection email 3 times. First was after psychometric test, but not shortlisted for any positions. Twice were due to rejected after unit previews.

hmm its been close to 5 weeks after I went for psychometric test, but I never receive any rejection email at all.. so I don't know whether I should continue waiting

in3deep 01-10-2014 02:44 PM

does pulling strings help?

say u know someone in mindef who knows the HR ppl?

Unregistered 01-10-2014 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in3deep (Post 57172)
does pulling strings help?

say u know someone in mindef who knows the HR ppl?

Pull strings to help you get shortlisted for interview or?

in3deep 01-10-2014 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57181)
Pull strings to help you get shortlisted for interview or?

Both intw n job lah

Unregistered 02-10-2014 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in3deep (Post 57186)
Both intw n job lah

Well, you can try. But I doubt it helps.

Unregistered 02-10-2014 12:07 PM

attire for psychometric test

Hi all, just registered for the psychometric test and am wondering whether one needs to be decked out in proper formal attire when attending the test or will smart casual be ok.

Asking because I only have a couple of sets of formal wear (current work place is a smart casual environment) and I have another interview a day before the psychometric test.

Unregistered 02-10-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57211)
Hi all, just registered for the psychometric test and am wondering whether one needs to be decked out in proper formal attire when attending the test or will smart casual be ok.

Asking because I only have a couple of sets of formal wear (current work place is a smart casual environment) and I have another interview a day before the psychometric test.

I wore polo and jeans.

Unregistered 02-10-2014 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57215)
I wore polo and jeans.

Thanks! So during the psychometric test it's like a school exam? You don't actually get to interact with any bosses etc. right?

Unregistered 02-10-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57226)
Thanks! So during the psychometric test it's like a school exam? You don't actually get to interact with any bosses etc. right?

Nope, it's like a school exam.

in3deep 03-10-2014 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57203)
Well, you can try. But I doubt it helps.

Really ah?

:(

I was thinking knowing ppl inside who got contacts with the hiring managers can help tip the odds

in3deep 03-10-2014 01:45 AM

Btw if the place u r in got no cookhouse like Cmpb or mindef, do u get additional meal allowance or u lugi?

Unregistered 03-10-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in3deep (Post 57237)
Really ah?

I was thinking knowing ppl inside who got contacts with the hiring managers can help tip the odds

Hmmm, is quite hard, cos the HR people don't work with the hiring manager. Usually easier to get shortlisted for interview if someone from the hiring department refer you in.

As for getting the job, it all depends on you and the hiring manager. No one can help le.

Unregistered 03-10-2014 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in3deep (Post 57238)
Btw if the place u r in got no cookhouse like Cmpb or mindef, do u get additional meal allowance or u lugi?

Just too bad.. you got to pay for parking and pay for your lunches

viridian 05-10-2014 03:35 PM

Hi all, i intend to apply for some finance positions for DXOs. Are they mainly stationed at mindef or cmpb? Or possible tat they could be stationed at some army camps or airbases etc?

Unregistered 06-10-2014 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viridian (Post 57324)
Hi all, i intend to apply for some finance positions for DXOs. Are they mainly stationed at mindef or cmpb? Or possible tat they could be stationed at some army camps or airbases etc?

Every camp actually has a finance division or sth akin to that, so it can seriously be anywhere.

Unregistered 06-10-2014 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in3deep (Post 57237)
Really ah?

Depends leh, knowing someone in HR probably wont help at all. I had a friend who technically pulled string. He was a medic with me at one of the medical centres, closer to ORD, he asked our DXO supervisor if he can sign on. Of course, supervisor say okay, more help at the medical centre means less work for him. Although the position was only for degree holders, my supervisor managed to get him an interview and he got the job. Of course, my friend is an extremely reliable person. He only had a diploma so they sent him for part-time degree as well.

So it depends who you know. I think if you know someone within the department or unit you want to head to, its possible. But if you only know the HR person, it wont work.

Unregistered 06-10-2014 01:38 PM

Even if i have to die, i will never work for mindef. LOL!!!

Unregistered 10-10-2014 10:25 AM

Hello guys, any chances for applicant from SIM RMIT to be even shortlisted for the test? Thanks!

Unregistered 10-10-2014 11:21 AM

Can share why you will never work for Mindef? Ultimately it is just another government agency, and a big one at that.

There are many advantages and benefits of working in a big and established organisation.
1. Good benefits like:
Annual leave
Medical Leave
Childcare, family care leave
exam leave
Medical and dental coverage
transport claims for field work, overtime work

2. Upgrading opportunities
Sponsored diplomas, degrees, graduate studies
Professional courses
Soft skill courses
In-house programmes

3. Job rotation to other departments

4. Overseas trips
depending on department, some have great opportunities for overseas project work

5. Sports day once a month, Welfare activities

6. Decent pay and can retire at 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57358)
Even if i have to die, i will never work for mindef. LOL!!!

flyingpanman 10-10-2014 04:24 PM

Maybe he thinks that working for Mindef is equivalent to signing on.

There are lot of people working as civilian officers as Mindef who would never sign on.

The only good reason I can think of for not working for Mindef is that the skills are not transferable to the public sector and it's a dead end job, but this is balanced out by the stable pay and iron rice bowl

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57553)
Can share why you will never work for Mindef? Ultimately it is just another government agency, and a big one at that.

There are many advantages and benefits of working in a big and established organisation.
1. Good benefits like:
Annual leave
Medical Leave
Childcare, family care leave
exam leave
Medical and dental coverage
transport claims for field work, overtime work

2. Upgrading opportunities
Sponsored diplomas, degrees, graduate studies
Professional courses
Soft skill courses
In-house programmes

3. Job rotation to other departments

4. Overseas trips
depending on department, some have great opportunities for overseas project work

5. Sports day once a month, Welfare activities

6. Decent pay and can retire at 67

Unregistered 12-10-2014 11:45 AM

Quick question for more experienced contributors here...

When you apply for a DXO position you have to indicate the positions you're interested in on the application form...I'm just wondering how much they take into account the choices you indicated or do they just offer you based on the results of your psychometric test?

I've been to a couple of interviews where I only found out during the interview proper that the position I'm being interviewed for is NOT the one I initially applied for. Don't know why companies waste everyone's time doing things like this...

Unregistered 13-10-2014 11:02 AM

Did MINDEF actually call up any of your current/previous work supervisors and/or referees?

Unregistered 13-10-2014 11:46 AM

Anybody knows how much does a Media Analyst get at mindef with and without honours?

Unregistered 13-10-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57639)
Anybody knows how much does a Media Analyst get at mindef with and without honours?

did you get an interview for this?

Unregistered 14-10-2014 02:10 PM

Whats the pay range? anyone can advise kindly?

Unregistered 14-10-2014 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 57687)
Whats the pay range? anyone can advise kindly?

A fresh grad with 2nd upper from local uni can be paid extremely close to $4k...

Unregistered 15-10-2014 01:08 PM

hi, i did my first interview about 2.5 weeks ago.
after the interview, the HR person informed me that the interview outcomes would be announced "within or around" (can't remember her exact wording) 2 weeks time.

since it has already been more than 2 weeks, do you think it would be wise for me to contact HR either via phone/email to check up on the status of my application?

Unregistered 15-10-2014 03:34 PM

Managed to scroll past some of the responses, hope I can help out here. Some background about me, Currently a DXO, worked for slightly over a year, degree awarded by Unism (Note: not SIM, MINDEF do not recognize SIM Global), no honors just a pass degree and previously in MOE. I came to SAF as a mid- career switch but pay offered was 3k plus and after confirmation and recent pay adjustment, pay now approx. $4k.

I pulled some strings and referred my bro to the SAF Film Unit, but he didn't managed to go pass the interview session. The 'strings' I pulled is referring my bro through an employee referral system. My bro managed to pass psychometric test but didn't go beyond that. I referred other friends and they didn't managed to pass psychometric tests so no offer. 'Pulling strings' does no work.

If you go for interview/unit preview and not get a reply after 2 weeks, means you are not in. If you are in, you will know within a week.

Pros
Healthy Work-life balance
Competitive remuneration schemes
Can take leave very easily, work less demanding, SAF takes very good care of its employees.
Bosses are generally very nice and friendly as long as you are respectful.
Very flexible hours and you are home usually before 7pm (unless you work in CMPB or MINDEF)
Little or no politics, work is relaxed and less demanding, people are understanding, keep asking you to have more babies... etc fun environment. Very pro- family!
If you have a family, want quality time, hopes for more personal time and feels obliged to be there for your kids, come to MINDEF.

Cons
Extremely Bureaucratic and many red tapes. Processes are slow and changes are not fast enough to be reactive and helpful.
Personally, I have met some senior commanders who are arrogant, narrow minded and self- righteous. They feel that they are very important and they want others to make them feel important. I don't like it. They can be very full of themselves and boastful (about salaries). One commander told me he earned a quarter million last year and he feels underpaid. IMO, defence is like insurance, better to have it when you don't need it then to not have it when you need it. I know its importance but I cannot help but feel that the organization likes to justify its salary and benefits in the premise of the life- changing work it does.
Arrowing work. Supervisors will always arrow work out and find fault with the lowest living forms. I despise that. And the white- horse, scholar worshipping cultures.
Non transferable skill-sets, hard to define contributions and achievements. The things some DXOs do are very specialized and cannot be transferred elsewhere.

In the end, I left after 17months in the organization, it was a fruitful experience and I enjoyed the company of great colleagues and fun environment. No learning curves but you definitely become more vocal after that due to the need to write staff papers and minutes (not all). I personally had the experience of speaking with a senior command once and he refused to acknowledge me, not even look at me. Not offended, just want to point out that it is not for everyone. I enjoy a more challenging and corporate experience so I traded stability and comfort in the job for a more challenging job with greater learning experience.

Hope this helps.