Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1722-ministry-defence-singapore-dxo-all-faq.html)

Unregistered 13-09-2021 06:17 PM

Hi, how is the work life balance like at mindef?

Unregistered 14-09-2021 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182942)
Hi, how is the work life balance like at mindef?

Honestly its the best kept secret. Mostly just pointless emails and KPIs to try to justify the billions in sinkie taxpayers money wasted each year. In fact, I was so bored at work that I managed to find out my current DXO role can be best described by the American anthropologist David Graeber in his essay BS Jobs. In it he posits that the productivity benefits of automation have not led to a 15-hour workweek, as predicted by economist John Maynard Keynes in 1930, but instead led to "BS jobs": "a form of paid employment that is so completely pointless, unnecessary, or pernicious that even the employee cannot justify its existence even though, as part of the conditions of employment, the employee feels obliged to pretend that this is not the case." The only job more BS than my DXO job are the in camp regulars.

I'd already had doubts about my DXO job and there were bits in his essay that resonated with me (some good confirmation bias there). It made me seriously ponder what I'll be doing for the next 30-40 years given its such a stable but unexciting career.

Unregistered 14-09-2021 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183043)
Honestly its the best kept secret. Mostly just pointless emails and KPIs to try to justify the billions in sinkie taxpayers money wasted each year. In fact, I was so bored at work that I managed to find out my current DXO role can be best described by the American anthropologist David Graeber in his essay BS Jobs. In it he posits that the productivity benefits of automation have not led to a 15-hour workweek, as predicted by economist John Maynard Keynes in 1930, but instead led to "BS jobs": "a form of paid employment that is so completely pointless, unnecessary, or pernicious that even the employee cannot justify its existence even though, as part of the conditions of employment, the employee feels obliged to pretend that this is not the case." The only job more BS than my DXO job are the in camp regulars.

I'd already had doubts about my DXO job and there were bits in his essay that resonated with me (some good confirmation bias there). It made me seriously ponder what I'll be doing for the next 30-40 years given its such a stable but unexciting career.

whats your DX grade? DX7? DX9?

and you mentioned in camp regulars. congrats, you are in the army?

Unregistered 16-09-2021 01:14 PM

Quote:

Whoa, i wonder if SID is different.

Anyone with SID application experience? Of course, nothing revealing.

Unregistered 16-09-2021 03:22 PM

seems like getting a job at mindef is really competitive. can anyone share the timeline after the first interview?

Unregistered 16-09-2021 10:56 PM

anyone have experience in the application process for SID?

Unregistered 16-09-2021 11:56 PM

Quote:

I feel you, I'm in the defence ecosystem as well. It's really the biggest government welfare program in sg, sometimes I feel guilty of wasting taxpayers' money this way. The only way to continue living with myself is to justify that it is for the defence of the country, but I also find this meaning quite comical as I don't even like living here.

Unregistered 17-09-2021 02:05 AM

Any fresh grads here still looking for jobs while waiting to hear from mindef? :/

Unregistered 17-09-2021 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183330)
Any fresh grads here still looking for jobs while waiting to hear from mindef? :/

how long have you been waiting?

Unregistered 17-09-2021 08:37 AM

Anyone got offered recently? Had a Low 4 offer. Not sure if it's the norm

Unregistered 17-09-2021 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183341)

Was that an official offer?

Unregistered 17-09-2021 10:20 AM

Is it okay to ask the HR for any updates on the clearance process? Or will it be rude to ask?

Unregistered 17-09-2021 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183354)
Is it okay to ask the HR for any updates on the clearance process? Or will it be rude to ask?

No need to give HR face lah. Make them earn their keep, this is their job after all.

Unregistered 17-09-2021 11:41 AM

Quote:

what is your position? local uni? how many years of experience?

Unregistered 17-09-2021 11:50 AM

anyone had an interview recently? i am waiting for them to invite me for site preview. how long does it take?

Unregistered 17-09-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Just take it. As another poster has said, its free money from the taxpayers purse for a stable do-nothing job. A uniquely Singapore welfare system.

Unregistered 17-09-2021 01:21 PM

Anyone went for PT or interview recently? Applied for a position and was asked to provide salary slips but no news yet.

Unregistered 17-09-2021 02:33 PM

Quote:

Wow, sounds like a dream job. Applying now!!

Unregistered 17-09-2021 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183389)
Anyone went for PT or interview recently? Applied for a position and was asked to provide salary slips but no news yet.

Same here. Have been waiting for 4 weeks since submission of payslip. You?

Unregistered 17-09-2021 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183401)
Same here. Have been waiting for 4 weeks since submission of payslip. You?

Since late July

Unregistered 20-09-2021 12:23 AM

Quote:

Share your acad background, gender, experience and etc

Unregistered 21-09-2021 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182572)
estimate nearly a week?
I know it usually takes a few months between verbal offer and contract signing/medical check/security check. But i wanted to know if it's possible to even fail a background check. I don't have any debt or history, just paranoid.

I read the medical check is just the usual blood test/eye check etc, so I'm not worried about it

have you heard back from them?

Unregistered 21-09-2021 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183318)
anyone have experience in the application process for SID?

it's probably too secretive to share

Unregistered 22-09-2021 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183717)
have you heard back from them?

op here, not yet. but no news = good news so...

Unregistered 22-09-2021 10:32 AM

Yeah it's kinda like waiting and at the same time not exactly sure which stage of the selection/assessment you are currently at within the overall scheme of the selection, due to the secretive nature of the process. Not a nice feeling I must say.. ~ mpt

Unregistered 22-09-2021 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183756)
it's probably too secretive to share

How long do they usually take to respond after asking us to submit more documents?

Unregistered 22-09-2021 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183810)
Yeah it's kinda like waiting and at the same time not exactly sure which stage of the selection/assessment you are currently at within the overall scheme of the selection, due to the secretive nature of the process. Not a nice feeling I must say.. ~ mpt

which part of the process are you at?

Unregistered 22-09-2021 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183817)
How long do they usually take to respond after asking us to submit more documents?

when did they ask you to do so?

Unregistered 22-09-2021 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183330)

yes, challenging to wait for mindef while jobless.. u applying for other jobs concurrently?

Unregistered 22-09-2021 08:44 PM

Not op but which stage are y'all at? Maybe can try taking up traineeships?

Unregistered 22-09-2021 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183878)
yes, challenging to wait for mindef while jobless.. u applying for other jobs concurrently?

Not the original poster, but which stage are yall at? Maybe can try traineeships?

Unregistered 22-09-2021 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183871)
when did they ask you to do so?

They sent an email asking for more documents this week

Unregistered 23-09-2021 01:06 PM

Will any of you take up a contract or traineeship or other jobs while waiting for clearance?

Unregistered 23-09-2021 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183881)
They sent an email asking for more documents this week

This is the first time they’re requesting for additional documents or second time?

Unregistered 23-09-2021 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183960)
This is the first time they’re requesting for additional documents or second time?

First time. Submitted my application last week. Just wondering if I’m shortlisted for the next round, how long will HR usually take to inform me? Also, I suppose the next stage is a written test is it?

Unregistered 23-09-2021 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183878)

yea but its been really tricking trying to land an offer, coz i dont have much experience as a freshgrad for the roles i want. im waiting to hear back from a writing test (not psychometric) i cid a month ago and i’m losing hope with every day haha

Unregistered 23-09-2021 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183972)
yea but its been really tricking trying to land an offer, coz i dont have much experience as a freshgrad for the roles i want. im waiting to hear back from a writing test (not psychometric) i cid a month ago and i’m losing hope with every day haha

Tricky****** not tricking, did**** not cid, sorry fatfingers

Unregistered 23-09-2021 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183972)

Have you tried applying for contract or traineeship positions

Unregistered 23-09-2021 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183979)
Have you tried applying for contract or traineeship positions

no, i didnt apply for such jobs

Unregistered 23-09-2021 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183981)
no, i didnt apply for such jobs

why? at least thrs smth to do while waiting