Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Advice needed for an overseas singaporean

Old 14-02-2012, 05:09 PM

sporean in bj is on a distinguished road
Default Advice needed for an overseas singaporean

Hi All,

i am thinking of a career switch and would appreciate some advice.

i got a degree 2nd upper class (sim) and MBA from inforrmatics. i

i have been working and living in beijing for 6 years in a Us listed chinese firm. My first 3 years at the firm was regional sales executive and then got promoted into the firm investor relations department as IR manager

my current salary is SGD 5.5k monthly after tax ,with about 20K- 30K USD worth of options depending on share price. i would like to join a local poly. Can anyone advise if it is possible for me to get 90k -100K per yr as a poly Senior lecturer?? my area of expertise would be marketing/ finance.

Old 14-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporean in bj View Post
Hi All,

i have been working and living in beijing for 6 years in a Us listed chinese firm. My first 3 years at the firm was regional sales executive and then got promoted into the firm investor relations department as IR manager

my current salary is SGD 5.5k monthly after tax ,with about 20K- 30K USD worth of options depending on share price. i would like to join a local poly. Can anyone advise if it is possible for me to get 90k -100K per yr as a poly Senior lecturer?? my area of expertise would be marketing/ finance.
No poly will offer you Senior Lecturer. You practically only have a MBA from a degree mill and 3 years sales executive experience and you want to lecture on marketing & finance?

Old 14-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
No poly will offer you Senior Lecturer. You practically only have a MBA from a degree mill and 3 years sales executive experience and you want to lecture on marketing & finance?
I think he probably can't even get it.

Old 15-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi All,

unlikely you get the poly job. I don't understand why you want to be back to singapore. I don't know how old you are, but I would take the opportunity to build my market value in China.
1) 6 years in BJ and I surprised you are not moonlighting or making side income elsewhere.
2) re-do your MBA. take up one from CEIBS or 北大,清华.
3) buy property if you can afford it and i believe you qualify to buy property in BJ now. Wait for the right time to buy one.
4) network like crazy. especially out of our industry. so much opportunities.

silly to go back. your motivation to go back is to get a marginally higher pay with a dead -end job. it shows a lack of vision and imagination. spend more time with your chinese colleagues and learn from them.

I live in Beijing, by the way.
Old 15-02-2012, 11:20 AM
baxeterforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
unlikely you get the poly job. I don't understand why you want to be back to singapore. I don't know how old you are, but I would take the opportunity to build my market value in China.
1) 6 years in BJ and I surprised you are not moonlighting or making side income elsewhere.
2) re-do your MBA. take up one from CEIBS or 北大,清华.
3) buy property if you can afford it and i believe you qualify to buy property in BJ now. Wait for the right time to buy one.
4) network like crazy. especially out of our industry. so much opportunities.

silly to go back. your motivation to go back is to get a marginally higher pay with a dead -end job. it shows a lack of vision and imagination. spend more time with your chinese colleagues and learn from them.

I live in Beijing, by the way.
Dude if he can do any of the things you suggest he won't end up 3 years as a sales executive and another 3 years as a IR Manager drawing only 5.5k.

His academic qualification is all purchased from SIM / Informatics & his career progression is also very weak & below average. How to enrol for CEIBS or 北大,清华 like that?
Old 15-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Unregistered

Default vsupday 350.

Quote:
Can anyone advise if it is possible for me to get 90k -100K per yr as a poly Senior lecturer?? my area of expertise would be marketing/ finance.
Yes, you may be able to join a poly. But certainly not as Senior Lecturer (is there even such a title in the Poly?) Expect a massive pay cut because 1)it's Poly, 2)your academic certifications are not likely to be valued by the Poly.

Old 15-02-2012, 05:44 PM

sporean in bj is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice guy in beijing,

i have actually bought 2 chao yang properties with the money from the stock options when the company IPO. currently i have also invested in a resturant with a fren here.

my network is actually pretty strong, it just that i am getting tired. i can arrange quite a bit of intern/factory visit even in other cities for the schools.

by the way,baxeter the basic pay for a lot of pple doing ir is not high but u can have a good bonus if your share price is good.
Old 15-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

i have actually bought 2 chao yang properties with the money from the stock options when the company IPO. currently i have also invested in a resturant with a fren here.

my network is actually pretty strong, it just that i am getting tired. i can arrange quite a bit of intern/factory visit even in other cities for the schools.

by the way,baxeter the basic pay for a lot of pple doing ir is not high but u can have a good bonus if your share price is good.
At the end of the day what has your options, investment with friends and property speculation in China anything to do with lecturing on Marketing & Finance?

You had some brief sales experience at an entry level, then a highly niche job doing IR. At the very best they cover a small section of marketing. As for Finance, you have almost no credentials other than layman property speculation and maybe doing up materials covering company performance during your roadshows and engagements.

Add that with a degree and MBA from notorious mills where everyone knows you just need to pay up school fees and meet min attendance can get, do you really think you should be lecturing on marketing & finance even if some crazy poly accept you?

No offence, but you are really too thin on your CV to be asking for 100k as a lecturer... You also need to show more respect to the profession instead of treating it as some avenue to get higher basic salary and less stress job when you get sick of your current place.
Old 15-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

that is even more puzzling to me.
1) with 2 properties in chaoyang, that will get you a net worth of more than 1 million or more. If you rent it out, it should more than cover your mortage or better.
2) with your strong network, there should be better things to do than to to a poly lecturer.
3) with cash, go and 'buy' a better degree. even Cheung Kong business school adds better value and you get to network with chinese entrepreneurs and CEOs.

why do you even need to work?

"same guy from Beijing"