Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Mnc jobs - a must in life ??

Old 21-10-2021, 01:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Too many GLC people in this forum.
They don't understand the competitive terrain of MNCs. You can tell from the number of creative description and incentives of MNCs.
very true. the mnc competitiveness quite bad. even towards the fresh grads. they just show you the place and then expect you to somewhat already know all these equipments and such. They will not teach unless you ask them for help. Even then, they will just show you alittle and expect you to do the rest.

i am not sure what to recommend the fresh grads to go for. all are the same. its whether you can cope with the fast pace or not. But, i will recommend them to at least stay for a month or two to feel it before quitting.

Sure having a mnc on resume looks better but the question is,can you even cope during the initial part. Otherwise, just go for what you have passion for or interested in.

Old 21-10-2021, 02:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
very true. the mnc competitiveness quite bad. even towards the fresh grads. they just show you the place and then expect you to somewhat already know all these equipments and such. They will not teach unless you ask them for help. Even then, they will just show you alittle and expect you to do the rest.

i am not sure what to recommend the fresh grads to go for. all are the same. its whether you can cope with the fast pace or not. But, i will recommend them to at least stay for a month or two to feel it before quitting.

Sure having a mnc on resume looks better but the question is,can you even cope during the initial part. Otherwise, just go for what you have passion for or interested in.
Haha, that's why you see many GLC folks trying to pose as MNC veterans with creative imaginative assumptions dishing out advises.

Old 21-10-2021, 04:02 PM
Unregistered

Started working at a mnc 3 months ago and i already hated it there within my first month. thinking of quitting and going into something i am passionate about.

Old 21-10-2021, 04:06 PM
Unregistered

MNCs not really a must in life. Just go for what pays you the most or gives you the most job satisfaction.

-From a guy who worked in SME and MNCs before
Old 21-10-2021, 04:28 PM
Unregistered

I think I am pretty fortunate to work in a MNC with the same industry which I am passion about and with purpose. If a fresh grad got the knowledge before joining due to passion/hobby, they can pick up alot faster and eventually be more capable than someone who is working for the sake of working (e.g. like people go to banking because of the high pay, but they have no interest in what they do whatsoever).

But one challenge in joining MNCs (no matter the working experience), is gaining credibility when moving over to a new company. Usually takes 1 year to get used to the organisational culture, peers and superiors, then churning out projects for them to see your capabilities. Usually for me, after 1.5 years, people will start to take notice and you can start to make changes or providing recommendations to stakeholders. So it is not as fast as startups or in a SME, but won't take forever like in GLCs or Civil Service.

My opinion, I do like the challenge in the MNC, and because the stuff I do actually makes changes in the company's strategy and goals in short term, medium term and long term. And guess what, projects GETS IMPLEMENTED and actually sold to different countries. At least MNCs give a sense of purpose if what is being developed and planned actually comes to life. But it also depends on industry to industry lah. Big4 accounting firms also are MNCs, but we know how challenging it is.
Old 21-10-2021, 04:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I think I am pretty fortunate to work in a MNC with the same industry which I am passion about and with purpose. If a fresh grad got the knowledge before joining due to passion/hobby, they can pick up alot faster and eventually be more capable than someone who is working for the sake of working (e.g. like people go to banking because of the high pay, but they have no interest in what they do whatsoever).

But one challenge in joining MNCs (no matter the working experience), is gaining credibility when moving over to a new company. Usually takes 1 year to get used to the organisational culture, peers and superiors, then churning out projects for them to see your capabilities. Usually for me, after 1.5 years, people will start to take notice and you can start to make changes or providing recommendations to stakeholders. So it is not as fast as startups or in a SME, but won't take forever like in GLCs or Civil Service.

My opinion, I do like the challenge in the MNC, and because the stuff I do actually makes changes in the company's strategy and goals in short term, medium term and long term. And guess what, projects GETS IMPLEMENTED and actually sold to different countries. At least MNCs give a sense of purpose if what is being developed and planned actually comes to life. But it also depends on industry to industry lah. Big4 accounting firms also are MNCs, but we know how challenging it is.
sounds like you already have your working life planned out!

Old 21-10-2021, 05:02 PM
Unregistered

All fresh grads must start in an brand name mnc. It's a matter of fact that employers will look at the places that you've worked previously and having a xxx pte ltd in your cv is definitely going to reduce your chances compared to someone with a jpm or gs experience.

If you want to retire and lobo your time away in a cushy sme position at 50 then by all means go ahead. What will help you get there in the first place is having a stacked cv when you were younger.
Old 21-10-2021, 05:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
sounds like you already have your working life planned out!
So far so good. But yes, I do recommend people to have a target/vision of what they realistically can achieve after 5 - 10 years down the road. Work towards it, see how you can get there by the most professional/ethical way possible. And yes, always have purpose in the job at hand. With purpose, hard work will automatically come in because he/she will strive to accomplish it and work towards success.

And spot challenges around the organisation, no point trying to barge into a door that is locked. Obviously luck plays a huge part in getting the career opportunities, I myself did miss one small window on joining my dream company because during that period, I had just jumped to another firm and wasn't looking out and quickly jumping again (and to this date, still haven't moved because career progression is pretty decent and having a global portfolio). But at least Singapore has lots of MNCs based here and there are more opportunities to jump instead of being stuck in GLCs/Civil Service.
Old 21-10-2021, 05:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
So far so good. But yes, I do recommend people to have a target/vision of what they realistically can achieve after 5 - 10 years down the road. Work towards it, see how you can get there by the most professional/ethical way possible. And yes, always have purpose in the job at hand. With purpose, hard work will automatically come in because he/she will strive to accomplish it and work towards success.

And spot challenges around the organisation, no point trying to barge into a door that is locked. Obviously luck plays a huge part in getting the career opportunities, I myself did miss one small window on joining my dream company because during that period, I had just jumped to another firm and wasn't looking out and quickly jumping again (and to this date, still haven't moved because career progression is pretty decent and having a global portfolio). But at least Singapore has lots of MNCs based here and there are more opportunities to jump instead of being stuck in GLCs/Civil Service.
oh yes i definitely agree with the fact that Singapore definitely has a lot of MNCs here, but they are also very competitive in terms of the number of applicants.

Regarding ethics though, i am not sure if i can maintain that considering a lot of unfair advantages given to a certain group of people, so you have no choice but to kiss their asses to move up the ladder.
Old 21-10-2021, 06:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Hahaha I don't know it sounds funny. Cause I have the opportunities working at some of the largest MNC in the world (more than 1 trillion market cap) and mid tier MNC (100b market cap). I don't feel any competitions leh. The mid tier MNC is full of boomers. They work very slowly and inefficient. I can easily spend 30 hours a week and still outperform them.