Path in Life - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Path in Life

Old 01-07-2013, 02:41 PM

Survivor is on a distinguished road
Default Path in Life

Hi all, I've seen many of you facing issues surviving.

I am a diploma holder in IT, dropped out from uni while pursuing IT deg.

I had a mindset that IT will never cease to exist, sooner or later, the payout for IT grads will be way higher. Since everyone taking business/finance nowadays.

I'm not lucky, I'm plagued with colour vision deficiency, therefore choices in the science/engineering field is gone for me.

Please give me advice on where can i go from there.

Currently, doing a administrative nature job which allows me to pursue a PT degree.

1. Pursue a General Business Degree after which I will start a business.
2. Pursue a General Business Degree which opens up opportunity for me to work anywhere. (whether they hire is another choice)
3. Pursue a General Business Degree, Acquiring languages on the way, changing job to a finance/logistics/procurement nature job.
4. Quit and Focus on getting a Business Degree (since employers hate people who do PT)
5. Brush up on IT and do IT degree again.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:53 PM
QXP

You need more focus on what you have in mind.

In the span of a short posting, you have listed entrepruneurship, administration, finance, procurement, logistics, IT as possibilities. Each of these couldn't be more different from another, this a sign of a very confused mind.

You are in a better position than a fresh grad in the sense that you currently have a job, this means you have the opportunity to observe your colleagues in various departments and job scope. My advice is you interact with your colleagues outside administration, shadow them, try to get yourself informed or involved in cross functional projects.

Do this deligently and you should be able to weigh the pros and cons of each different job and deparment as it relates to yourself. Once you have an inkling of which discipline matches your competency and interest, then you try and seek relevant acadmic upgrades on an informed basis.

This is much better than aimlessly buying general business degrees with no clue what you want and leaving it to chance.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:11 PM

Thanks QXP for your views,

I listed out sectors which I find them rewarding. When I was "young", I thought about going sales since I thought it might bring in rewards for the hard work.

Logistics - in the area where I do importing from countries and cross selling to companies in SG (seen alot in SG)

I hope you do understand that certain roles/task will only be given to key appointment holders. Junior position will not be given the chance to be involved in the decision making process.

I'm just wondering if I'm wasting my time away with my current job. It does not value add to my life. I do understand the importance of garnering work experience to better prepare yourself for the next job, but my background in IT does not allow me to venture further.

Of course, being realistic, I do understand that there is no way we can compete with scholars when it comes to job opportunities/mthly salary. That why it is important for us to seek out ideas that will improve life.

Myself , I enjoy working on probability. I see myself as someone who is out to look for a sure-win/high probability victory method. I find little satisfaction from working and idling around, being a clockwatcher. I rather be losing $100 playing around w numbers

Last edited by Survivor; 01-07-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor View Post

I listed out sectors which I find them rewarding. When I was "young", I thought about going sales since I thought it might bring in rewards for the hard work.

Quote:
Logistics - in the area where I do importing from countries and cross selling to companies in SG (seen alot in SG)
this is not logistics/3PL/warehousing/distributing but rather import/export trader.

Quote:
I hope you do understand that certain roles/task will only be given to key appointment holders. Junior position will not be given the chance to be involved in the decision making process.
obviously! u have to learn the ropes and gain some credibility first right?

[quote]
I'm just wondering if I'm wasting my time away with my current job. It does not value add to my life. I do understand the importance of garnering work experience to better prepare yourself for the next job, but my background in IT does not allow me to venture further.
[/quote'

stop wallowing in self pity, if this is not what u want to do then do something about it and look for a job u are interested in!

Quote:
Of course, being realistic, I do understand that there is no way we can compete with scholars when it comes to job opportunities/mthly salary. That why it is important for us to seek out ideas that will improve life.
why do u have to compete with scholars?? these scholars will only edge u out in civil services and some GLCs.

Quote:
Myself , I enjoy working on probability. I see myself as someone who is out to look for a sure-win/high probability victory method. I find little satisfaction from working and idling around, being a clockwatcher. I rather be losing $100 playing around w numbers
my friend, i would like a "sure-win/high probability victory method" too. please let me know if u find the magic formula.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:25 PM
QXP

Quote:

Logistics is a very broad discipline, what you have described is a very small unconventional subset within logistics that overlaps with sales & marketing. You have best find out more what logistics really is about before declaring your interest.

What you have described is not what the academia and most laymen will consider broadly as logistics.

Quote:
This applies to every single non-crony job in the world, it is a moot point.

Quote:
You misunderstand. I am not advocating you to gain work experiences to prepare yourself, you are much further behind this stage. You need to first find out what these terms you happily throw out like business, administration, finance, procurement, logistics, IT really mean before talking about work experiences.

The best way to do that is to interact and get involved with colleagues who are from these fields. Your concept of what constitutes logistics is way off and I doubt your understanding of the other fields are any much better.

Quote:
Irrelevant. You are a diploma admin assistant, there is no need to drag scholars in here as the gap between you and them is so big that they live in a very different and inconcievable career world compared to yours.

Not putting you down, but again you are much further behind the curve to be talking about competing with scholars. You may be a tycoon a decade or two down the road, but at this stage you are not in a position to even mention yourself with scholars.

Quote:
I doubt a diploma holder who does administration really understands what probability modelling and decision theory is all about. You are free to prove me wrong of course, but otherwise again, stay grounded to reality and try to fix some real issues at hand. Throwing out senseless platitudes don't help.

I suggest for a start you list down what you think these fields are all about so that other forumers with experience in them can comment:

1) Doing business
2) Finance
3) Logistics
4) Procurement
5) Administration
6) IT

My core experience is in Finance and doing business, but before I say anything, it would be interesting for you to tell me what you know about them first.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 PM

I do lack the experience and knowledge in these areas, what i'm hoping is a step towards them. of course i'm not comparing myself w scholars, just asking is there a possibility that attaining a degree will open up opportunity and lifting your salary cap.

My understanding of the fields are limited and shallow, so anyone can just correct me.

Finance -

to me, it a game where the rich manipulates the market, convincing people to invest their money in you/company for you to invest. you giving your views on the picks to your clients (seems easy but its actually tough when you first start out because you have to be @ roadshow trying to find "people" unless you are someone w lots of connection

- Wealth Managers
- FX Traders

Logistics - apologies
not so much on working w k-line and yangming and co. i'm more interested in trading and buying on a cheap through the import/export business, than working in the logistics line.

Procurement
- liasing with the legal personnel to come up with contract to make an agreement for a service/equipment supplied to the company.

Business
- hardly worth it , unless you are going e. with the high rental, ultimately, the winner is the one collecting rents every month. might as well invest in office spaces.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:42 AM
fray

think his main concerns are

will a degree provide employment ?

will he open up more options with a biz degree.

answer : i think it beats having a diploma, you have nothing to lose. just improve yourself. but remember i will hire ladies if i'm a boss esp when it comes to the business sector
Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Logistics - apologies
not so much on working w k-line and yangming and co. i'm more interested in trading and buying on a cheap through the import/export business, than working in the logistics line.

Procurement
- liasing with the legal personnel to come up with contract to make an agreement for a service/equipment supplied to the company.
big mncs already have fixed templates and legal framework u cant change and small smes dun give a dam about contract clause, they dun even have a legal dept for u to liaise.

in procurement, liasing with lawyers maybe take up 5% of the time at most.

as for the logistics part i dun even understand what u talking abt.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Unregistered

This TS look like those ignorant know nothing but like to fantasize kind.

People with only admin diploma interested in finance career talk about taking ACCA exam, working as finance assistant, or look for ops/BO/sales entry jobs in banks to start off but this guy talk about wealth manager & fx traders!?!? Seriously need to wake up and be realistic on the goals.

All the stuff about sure win probability and trading on import/export and invest in office space also sound very childish.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This TS look like those ignorant know nothing but like to fantasize kind.

People with only admin diploma interested in finance career talk about taking ACCA exam, working as finance assistant, or look for ops/BO/sales entry jobs in banks to start off but this guy talk about wealth manager & fx traders!?!? Seriously need to wake up and be realistic on the goals.

All the stuff about sure win probability and trading on import/export and invest in office space also sound very childish.
think he was giving views on what he thinks of that industry, not what he yearns to be.

perhaps you can shed some light about your background too survivor.

are you vocal ? looks do play a part.

anyway, i dont think anyone with a decent job will visit this forums, so pay no attention to them.