Out of business, out of job & out of luck, Need Advice! - Page 4 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Out of business, out of job & out of luck, Need Advice!

Old 08-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Unregistered

If u become a taxi driver, u will meet bossy customers from hell. One example was reported in the media recently. Since u r someone who cannot stomach your boss's tyranny and left your job, u may not be able to handle such customers, unless u r prepared to manage your emotion. A factor for u to consider.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 08-01-2012, 02:36 PM

1973 is on a distinguished road

Is life really that difficult in the job market now? Read the following article. I have been with my present job for 12 years and a 5K salary only. Makes me feel that I am better than many people although the salary is unrespectable. At least, the job seems like an iron bowl.

=====
From $2,600 a month to just $700
Published on Dec 16, 2011
The Straits Times

COME rain or shine, Mr Eugene Wong has the same thing for lunch every day: two slices of bread, slathered with margarine.

He skips breakfast and relies on donations for dinner.

'If there are generous people and friends who will pass me rice to cook, I'll use that. The temple will also give us oranges.'

The 44-year-old was retrenched in September, when the recruitment firm he was working for collapsed after the boss embezzled money.

As a recruitment consultant, he took home $2,600 a month. But now Mr Wong earns less than $700 a month working as a telemarketer, at a $6.50 an hour rate.

Slowing growth is a major worry for Mr Wong, who says he is already having a hard time making ends meet.

'I'm already struggling... If the cost of living continues to go up, I'd be very concerned. I don't know how I will pay for basic needs like food, shelter and clothing. I would need to earn at least $2,000 a month just to get by.'

He belongs to the group of PMETs (professionals, managers, executives and technicians) over 40 who are at higher risk of losing their jobs.

They also find it more difficult to secure new jobs - especially those which pay salaries close to what they were earning previously.

PMETs now make up 52 per cent of the near two-million-strong local workforce. Six in 10 workers retrenched between March and June this year held PMET positions. Only around half of laid-off PMETs managed to find jobs within six months.

Mr Wong's fear is that slowing economic growth could plunge him into joblessness, from which it will be hard to escape.

He is actively searching for a better and more stable job, but his age is an obstacle. 'People don't want to hire those above the age of 35.'

'My other options are to become a taxi driver or a cook - but I don't have enough money to go for the taxi exam and a cook's hours are very, very long. I have family commitments; I've got elderly parents to look after,' he adds.

Rising prices have hit him 'very, very hard'.

'Transport has gone up, food has gone up; I'm already cutting down as much as I can,' he says.

He walks home from work every Friday evening. The journey from his Tampines office to his Joo Chiat home takes at least four hours on foot. He collects paper, cardboard and cans to sell to rag-and-bone men.

Mr Wong even asks friends for the complimentary soap and toothpaste from hotels they stay in.

'If I have anything to pawn, I'll pawn it,' he adds.

MELISSA TAN

=====

Old 08-01-2012, 02:44 PM

killharder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Have you considered joining companies like humandynamics or castlescanfly that offer training courses to other companies?
Low chance as I was told that that some attempted to change their career undergo trainer's course to become a trainer couldn't get into trainer industry, especially with zero working experience.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by killharder View Post
Low chance as I was told that that some attempted to change their career undergo trainer's course to become a trainer couldn't get into trainer industry, especially with zero working experience.
If u can't reveal what's your last jobscope, maybe u can share abit more on your work experience over the years?

I have friends who give private tuition. 1 is making about 4k+ (part time only). The other is making about 7-8k full time. (Im sure u are more than qualified to teach pri sch students) Taxi drivers these days can make 2+ to 3k a mth if one does not slack. If u're really desperate, i suggest u lower your pride and help out your wife and support your family. Even my dad who only has O levels and is like 20 yrs older than u, is making 2k+ through sheer hard work by doing daily night shift labour work. (Are u willing to do that? to support your family instead of whining here and burning cash in your trading?)

Im in the finance industry and in my opinion, only about 1% will make money trading full time at home. U're definitely not part of the 1% based on your replies. Pls wake up, go out there and start working to help your poor wife. 2 years is too long and not an excuse becos u "dun want your parent to find out u're driving taxi", becos "sales is not a gd fit for u so u might quit 6 mths down the road". Stop finding excuses for yourself and do something. Even if u make only 1k a mth, it's still better than burning cash trading at home.

Sorry for being so harsh. But I can't help giving my frank opinion here.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:57 PM

1973 is on a distinguished road

It seems that people are making two main suggestions:

1. Taxi driver
2. Tuition

It really means that there are not many options around. I can't imagine if I am in similar situation. Don't dare to resign even when they are abusing me.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Unregistered

I too am comtemplating trading for a living but decided to just slog it out in my job even though i am GROSSLY UNDERPAID.

i think instead of wasting your money, do something productive. a few options:

1. Go into teaching or private tuition
2. Just take up a manual job
3. Taxi driving

I know it is not easy to swallow your pride, esp since you have been in the financial services industry. your job title must have been very impressive to friends and it a big ego killer to be something else.

but this is reality. welcome to life. just bite the bullet. it is more respectable to earn a little and help your family than to try and try wasting your money and time.

think of your poor miserable wife.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 08-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973 View Post
It seems that people are making two main suggestions:

1. Taxi driver
2. Tuition

It really means that there are not many options around. I can't imagine if I am in similar situation. Don't dare to resign even when they are abusing me.
Correct. Not everyone is a minister.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:25 AM
Unregistered

I’m going to make a bold prediction here, TS ‘killharder’ isn’t going to take any of the kind advice brothers have put up here. He will likely go on the following route:

1) Continue to apply for jobs he wants to do
2) Gamble whatever remaining money in stocks or get rich schemes
3) Continue to be a kept man dependent on wife for money
4) Go nowhere and kao peh in another thread or conversation elsewhere

The guy’s been out of job for a long time, it doesn’t take a genius to know that taxi driver, tuition, security guard is one of the few remaining choices he has. His friends & relatives would have suggested to him countless times.

Yet he take no action for so long and continue to come here to bitch and moan. He isn’t here for advice, he already know what he need to do, yet refuse to do. He just want to rant and pray & hope that maybe somebody can suddenly give him some painless idea to turn his life around.

And I dun have respect for a man who can jiat liao bee for so long and live on wife. If you are security guard or taxi driver with low pay but still trying to go for interview, send CV when you have time, I will have utmost respect for your courage and determination. But to do nothing and perpetually claim you are looking for a job is the mark of a loser.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:39 PM

killharder is on a distinguished road

Dear all,

Thanks for your comments. I managed to secure entry confirmation to a learning institution after much negotiation yesterday. Things look better from now on :>

tks
Old 09-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by killharder View Post
Dear all,

Thanks for your comments. I managed to secure entry confirmation to a learning institution after much negotiation yesterday. Things look better from now on :>

tks
Poly lecturer? If so, congrats! It's a very good job.