Out of business, out of job & out of luck, Need Advice! - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Out of business, out of job & out of luck, Need Advice!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:59 AM

Anonymous is on a distinguished road

oh okay. usually we try to market some relevance of previous experience to target job. can't tell what alternative sectors are open to you. Have you considered being some kind of training consultant? There are those who do that, e.g. become career coach, go take some courses on facilitation and coach facilitation, etc. Usually if you can speak well, and have some experience, it helps.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Unregistered

First thing - think positive, I know it is hard because you have faced numerous set-backs since you left your job incl. failed biz, 2 years of unemployment etc..

I feel that since you have already experienced what doing business is like, why dont you bank on that since getting back to the workforce is so hard. Keep your options open.

I agree you should get a taxi licence and probably do it part time (like relief driver?). Meanwhile continue to look for business opportunities that require lower capital. Like CNY pasar malam, flea market, small stalls? Assess what are you good in? What kind of skills can you learn that can turn into profitable biz - like pastry making, if you are good in making pastries, then do a small stall over CNY and also offer over internet and try it out. Low capital and even if you fail, no big misfortune.

from there think big and see if there are biz opportunities available.

Other areas you can consider include property agent, insurance agent which are low barriers of entry but to excel in it is very tough. You need to be very thick skin, never say die, persistent, excellent people skills and always passionate about it to succeed

The ONLY person that can bring you out of this **** is yourself. Convince yourself that you must have a skill, or is willing and able to acquire a skill that you can shine and make a living out of it.. every trade has its scholar (hang hang chu zhuang yuan). David Gan with not much education - look at him, he cut hair until very well to do, he must have gone through a lot of **** but have the determination and skills to do well in his trade. Alot of pple dont like Mark Lee, but look at him, from portraying rubbish bin in comedy shows to now.. he also didnt have a very high education but keeps trying.

I believe as long as you keep walking, no matter how dark it is, there will sure be a path for u. Whether you have to cross the muddy fields faced with unpleasant insects, or a leisure walk, you will still get there as long as you are willing to do it. Good luck!

Old 06-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Millionaire Member

Hermit is on a distinguished road

Hi Killharder, is your missus working and is her pay ok to support the family at the moment?

Old 06-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Millionaire Member

If you are desperate for income, you cannot wait for recruiters to call you.

A quick solution ( and something to tide you over ) is to get a sales job. To be attractive to the employer, you can opt for low base and high commission. And you never know, maybe that job might lead you to something else including a new business venture.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:29 PM

killharder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
If you are desperate for income, you cannot wait for recruiters to call you.

A quick solution ( and something to tide you over ) is to get a sales job. To be attractive to the employer, you can opt for low base and high commission. And you never know, maybe that job might lead you to something else including a new business venture.
i didnt expect anyone to 'rescue' me. That is life.

My personality does not suit direct sales job. I know many will condemn me for not taking a direct sales now but i know i will not sustain beyond 6 mths if I were to take on a sales job. Currently, I am trying to learn shares trading to earn a living although successfully rate is 10% or less. wife supporting family.

Last edited by killharder; 06-01-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by killharder View Post

My personality does not suit direct sales job. I know many will condemn me for not taking a direct sales now but i know i will not sustain beyond 6 mths if I were to take on a sales job. Currently, I am trying to learn shares trading to earn a living although successfully rate is 10% or less.
Shares trading for a living is a REAL BAD IDEA. I havent met anyone doing that so far.

A few good bank traders who went out and traded on personal account ended up joining back banks to trade. Reason - banks have the information, trade flows, systems and support to trade. At home, you are trading in a blind, your so called good info coming from stockbrokers.. that one is quite LOL.

I urge you to find a proper job. If you die die wanna try shares trading, pls have a stop loss level and if you hit that then move on to do other things pls.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Millionaire Member

Quote:
My personality does not suit direct sales job. I know many will condemn me for not taking a direct sales now but i know i will not sustain beyond 6 mths if I were to take on a sales job. Currently, I am trying to learn shares trading to earn a living.
Hi killharder, believe it or not I get the same reponse from all my friends who were retrenched. Too many years in corporate environment, cannot sell etc etc. Naturally they all take the same paths: more courses to become certified this and certified that. Trade shares, options etc online after a course or two. After 2 or 3 years they come back to square 1 - nowhere. Trading is a dead-end after you lose your savings. Trading. MLM and more courses get you nowhere. Sorry to say it but it is the hard truth. But if you go out to the REAL world and mingle with new colleagues, bosses, customers etc etc, you will find new opportunities. I, personally, also thought I could not sell anything. But when forced, you will be able to sell and after a while it gets easier. If you believe you cannot sell, you can forget about doing business for the rest of your life. Go find an indoor sales job, no need to knock on doors type. No cold calling. Just service customers when they come to your store or showroom or whatever. So your job is to inform them more about the product they are already interested in. Learn to smile and talk cock a bit. Forget your previous job title. Just move ahead. If not sales, other types of jobs are also ok. But just go out there.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:24 PM
fortuna

Quote:

My personality does not suit direct sales job. I know many will condemn me for not taking a direct sales now but i know i will not sustain beyond 6 mths if I were to take on a sales job. Currently, I am trying to learn shares trading to earn a living although successfully rate is 10% or less. wife supporting family.
You are already down & out, using whatever is remaining of your savings & credit to gamble in stocks is a dumb idea.

Besides realistically how much can you make to sustain monthly living starting from such a low base? If you can somehow gather 20k through borrowings, the best hedge funds in the world average at 25% a year. That’s barely $5k a year, minus interest maybe left $3k or $250 monthly, no way you can survive.

And dun delude yourself you are anywhere near the best in the world, you’ll be lucky to get away with a 20% loss in this kind of market. Not having a job and living off your wife and savings is bad enough, but at least you still can bid your time and look for job. Play shares kena bankrupt or Garnishee order then you really die pain pain!
Old 06-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Unregistered

actually i feel the best option for you now is to be a taxi driver for only the time being, as it gives you some income for financial support as well as it gives you the flexible time to attend job interview should there be any. It could be a long process to find a good job but utimately i believe you can find one. After confirmation of your new job then you quit driving taxi.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Unregistered

Pls dont believe the GET RICH seminars, or go to MLM.. these are really crap.

Cant believe so many will pay alot money to go to these forums.