2 Position to Choose from... Both Well known but totall different field..Pls help me - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

2 Position to Choose from... Both Well known but totall different field..Pls help me

Old 20-12-2011, 06:08 PM

haiz2006 is on a distinguished road
Default 2 Position to Choose from... Both Well known but totall different field..Pls help me

Hi guys,

Was thinking of applying 2 positions but not sure which one is good. And career path will totally change if i choose either one.

Currently doing PM at some Public sector with about 1.5mths of experience, would like to switch to pte sector for a change. earning about 3.7k

I chanced upon this 2 positions:

1) Technical Sales Engineer-Herrenknecht (deal with TBM) tapping into Chinese market. world leading German manufacturer of Tunnel Boring Machines and have the reputation as technology leader. They are experiencing strong growth in Asia region

JD:
Candidate must possess at least a Bachelor's Degree in Civil / Mechanical Engineering.
Understanding of the Tunneling sector would be an advantage.
-Preparation of technical and commercial offers on the basis of project specifications and/or customer specifications.
-Participating in technical and commercial negotiations.
-Determining technical design of machines and liaising with headquarters in Germany.
-Providing technical sales support for Asia.
-Non commission based, no need hit sales target and need to converse in mandarin
- No need require own transport too. Might travel to China for coordination
- based on intel, i will get a pay cut of about 150 if join them...

2) Project Engineer- Natsteel Holdings (deal with steel, i bet everyone noes this coy)

JD:
-based on intel, i think can match my pay i think...
• Build customer relationship & provide after-sales customer service
• Provide technical support to our customers on our range of products and services.
• Monitor site progress of customers’ construction projects and provide forecasts of customers’ requirements.
• Work closely with planning department to coordinate the efforts in meeting customer requirements to enhance customers’ satisfaction and engagement
Mainly:
To handle multiple sites or projects and make sure Natsteel products reach the site on time, proper planning on the location of the products to be, logistics planning, transportation, forecasting and to know construction schedule at the tips of your hand. Engage with customers.

Most of the time visiting sites, so -Need to buy car to travel to sites, transport allowance 600 and 520 Fuel Card.
Is this job consider siong? I tot Project Engineer for Natsteel is not Project Engineer for the whole site. Thought Project Engineer quite stressful but izzit value added for own portfolio? This role is more concerning delivering Natsteel products, ensuring things running smoothly. Ultimately the whole site will be run by project manager of the Contractor right?

Sorry long message...but can help??

Old 22-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Unregistered

No.1 Sounds like a very front-end role even though there is no commission. I think there is likely to be more external engagements then internal. Which I think it’s good. You’ll get more exposure. But you’ll need to verify this. But if you’re looking to climb the corporate ladder in a German company, think again. This may be a sweeping statement: German companies have notoriously many glass ceilings and walls. A good place to work, earn and learn. But not for the CEO wannabe.

No. 2 sounds like ‘sai-kang’ type of job. You clear the sh*t of the people before you in the process. Not only will you get sh*t from customers, you may likely get a tough time from internal coordinating departments.

Old 22-12-2011, 08:16 PM

Liverpool is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
No.1 Sounds like a very front-end role even though there is no commission. I think there is likely to be more external engagements then internal. Which I think it’s good. You’ll get more exposure. But you’ll need to verify this. But if you’re looking to climb the corporate ladder in a German company, think again. This may be a sweeping statement: German companies have notoriously many glass ceilings and walls. A good place to work, earn and learn. But not for the CEO wannabe.

No. 2 sounds like ‘sai-kang’ type of job. You clear the sh*t of the people before you in the process. Not only will you get sh*t from customers, you may likely get a tough time from internal coordinating departments.
agree... I will go with 1 but there seems to be a limit to how far you can climb.

My advice is enter no 1, work for a few more yrs, save up and take an MBA to move on to management. MBA of cos must be branded one, not those part time private uni one.

Old 22-12-2011, 08:53 PM

Bean is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiz2006 View Post
Hi guys,

Was thinking of applying 2 positions but not sure which one is good. And career path will totally change if i choose either one.

Currently doing PM at some Public sector with about 1.5mths of experience, would like to switch to pte sector for a change. earning about 3.7k
wow, with only 1.5 years of exp with public sector and you are getting 3.7k??
so high?

I working 4 years+ in ST only getting 3.7k inclusive 1 promotion...

what class of honour did you get?
are you male with NS
how much is your starting pay when you 1st join this public sector job?
Old 22-12-2011, 09:23 PM

Bean is on a distinguished road

Regarding the job in natsteel,

My friend also join this company after he grad from NUS 2nd lower, mechanical engineering,

When he 1st join the company, he told me his starting pay is only $2600
Well, he is still with the company after 4.5 years. Now is Lead Engineer. I dunno how much he is earning now??
What make you think that with only 1.5 years of exp, you can get $3700 to match your pay?
Old 22-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
wow, with only 1.5 years of exp with public sector and you are getting 3.7k??
so high?

I working 4 years+ in ST only getting 3.7k inclusive 1 promotion...

what class of honour did you get?
are you male with NS
how much is your starting pay when you 1st join this public sector job?
ST is known for its low pay and increments and stability. If you are looking for high pay, you're in the wrong co. but if you're looking for stability then ST is for you.

Old 22-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Unregistered

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Quite true whatever u said.. Alot of liaising because u coordinate internally and externally, especially china is expanding with vast land.. Commercial experience wise is good I know, true enough their office is nicely situated with view of singapore ...
1.5 yrs public sector can earn this amount because it's government with little growth for learning and slack ...
Old 25-12-2011, 01:18 PM

Anonymous is on a distinguished road

I read the thread header and I thought you have been offered both jobs. Apply for both first of course. "Choose" is a word to use only if you have been offered a job. Otherwise the job chooses you.
Old 25-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I read the thread header and I thought you have been offered both jobs. Apply for both first of course. "Choose" is a word to use only if you have been offered a job. Otherwise the job chooses you.
Yes the job chooses you unless you're Patrick Tan or Saw Paik Hwa.
Old 26-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Unregistered

I got the same dilemma too, I am currently working as an asst engineer dealing with microcontroller programming, but i have poly classmates who are earning alot more than me by working shifts by repairing stuffs.

should I just become a repairman to earn more?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app