Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   civil servant salary scales (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1622-civil-servant-salary-scales.html)

looking 09-12-2011 01:31 PM

civil servant salary scales

Maybe someone can help me with this.

I was recently offered a post as an operations manager at a school. I'm contemplating as to whether i should accept the offer as the offer is like 20% lower than what i am getting now.

The offer is about 39600 annually inclusive of AWS, performance bonus and mid year bonus.

The gross being 2700.

I have 12 years working experience and am a diploma holder. I wonder if the offer they have given me is fair, considering the pay cut that i'll have to take.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Unregistered 09-12-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looking (Post 18739)

I was recently offered a post as an operations manager at a school. I'm contemplating as to whether i should accept the offer as the offer is like 20% lower than what i am getting now.

The offer is about 39600 annually inclusive of AWS, performance bonus and mid year bonus.

The gross being 2700.

I have 12 years working experience and am a diploma holder. I wonder if the offer they have given me is fair, considering the pay cut that i'll have to take.

It's a stable job - almost guaranteed for life unless you screw up badly.

You may also enjoy the environment with all young people running around. School holidays will be super relaxed. Nasty parents may be hard to deal with, but I don't think an ops manager will have a lot of contact time with parents.

looking 09-12-2011 02:23 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not so worried about the work. More worried about the pay cut.

Just wondering if its a fair offer.

WiredJustice 09-12-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looking (Post 18739)

The gross being 2700.

You will have to be more specific what you mean by fair. Civil service and stat boards follow a very rigid structure and pay matrix depending on your experience and academic results.

The amount they offer you is likely to be derived from a very tight range based on their formula, there really isn't any concept of fairness or room for negotiation. If you are happy, accept, not happy reject.

Unregistered 09-12-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looking (Post 18741)
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not so worried about the work. More worried about the pay cut.

Just wondering if its a fair offer.

Then you have to decide for yourself whether the better environment / stability is worth the pay cut.

Whether it's a "fair" offer is highly subjective.

Unregistered 09-12-2011 02:56 PM

Are you still comfortable financially even after the pay cut? If so, then it's nothing to worry about. Take it as a form of career change.

I have a lady friend who took a 30% pay cut to join the civil service. Her reason? She just wanted to have a more stable environment, a better work-life balance and out of the ratrace.

Unregistered 09-12-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 18745)
Are you still comfortable financially even after the pay cut? If so, then it's nothing to worry about. Take it as a form of career change.

I have a lady friend who took a 30% pay cut to join the civil service. Her reason? She just wanted to have a more stable environment, a better work-life balance and out of the ratrace.

Generally agree, but be careful - some civil service jobs are extremely stressful and people work long hours just because their managers stay late.

looking 09-12-2011 04:08 PM

I understand now.

I'm just wondering why they offer ex-SPF/SAF personnel their last drawn pay for the same post. They get around 3k based on what i was told.

Unregistered 09-12-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looking (Post 18747)
I understand now.

I'm just wondering why they offer ex-SPF/SAF personnel their last drawn pay for the same post. They get around 3k based on what i was told.

er... because they take care of SAF personnel?

or maybe because they are afraid not to offend anyone related to the government? whereas for you, you're an outsider, so they can offer you a lower package to save on staff costs.

it's also widely known that a lot of ex-SAF are also hired into Singapore Technologies group of companies.

Unregistered 09-12-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looking (Post 18747)
I understand now.

Take it or leave it, wonder this wonder that for what?

If really want to know then ask them directly, how the fark would anyone else know why some school offer 3k to some people?

Jeezzzzz I hope your IQ here is not reflective of how you do your work in real life :rolleyes: