Engineering Job advise - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Engineering Job advise

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
Iruka1 is on a distinguished road
Default Engineering Job advise

Hi,

Would like hear some advises from seniors in this forums...

What would u think of the engineering job landscape in singapore, i.e those manufacturing engineers, product engineers, test engineer etc in MNCs located here?

Because of my background in engineering, i got an offer for a role as an engineer in a small US MNC with a higher pay. But I also got another offer for a Supply Chain planner job, which is a 1 yr contract.

In a cross road now, not sure which one to go into.

One one hand i am interested in the planner job but on the other hand, it pays much lesser and is a contract job.

Appreciate any comments...



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iruka1 View Post
Hi,

Would like hear some advises from seniors in this forums...

What would u think of the engineering job landscape in singapore, i.e those manufacturing engineers, product engineers, test engineer etc in MNCs located here?

Because of my background in engineering, i got an offer for a role as an engineer in a small US MNC with a higher pay. But I also got another offer for a Supply Chain planner job, which is a 1 yr contract.

In a cross road now, not sure which one to go into.

One one hand i am interested in the planner job but on the other hand, it pays much lesser and is a contract job.

Appreciate any comments...
I would go with the higher pay job. US MNC sounds attractive too, and should look good on the resume.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
Iruka1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Actually that coy is a new start up. They wanted to 'test water' in singapore. If after 2 yrs, its not successful, they will go

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
Iruka1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Any other comments?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iruka1 View Post
Actually that coy is a new start up. They wanted to 'test water' in singapore. If after 2 yrs, its not successful, they will go
I would still go with them. One, they pay more. Two, they may succeed. Three, the fact that they are a foreign company will look good on your resume (and you have to spin this during interviews!). Four, you may even get to travel should they expand to KL or HK or Jarkata, and this will give you even more exposure and more spin in future interviews.

HTH
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
Iruka1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Is engineering/ manufacturing considered dead end in singapore?
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iruka1 View Post
Is engineering/ manufacturing considered dead end in singapore?
Yes it is. Super dead. Everything is finance now.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2011, 09:09 PM
reader
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes it is. Super dead. Everything is finance now.
Ya, like a certain finance related advert I saw on the MRT recently equating success to $. I wonder how shallow are their graduates going to be?

Anyway, engineering is not dead yet. The salary growth is just not keeping up with the rising costs of living in Sg. For FTs from India and China, it's good pay once they saved up enough and return back to their country.

For Singaporeans, one has to be frugal to stay as an engineer and continue living in Sg. I think this will be even more so in the next 5-10 years unless some new policy appears and reverses this trend.

It doesn't help that FTs keep flooding the market, slowing down the salary growth in engineering sectors. Those interested in engineering careers should read up and compare engineering salary reports vs number of FTs in engineering for the past few years.

Be shallow, you'll be better off.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reader View Post
Ya, like a certain finance related advert I saw on the MRT recently equating success to $. I wonder how shallow are their graduates going to be?

Anyway, engineering is not dead yet. The salary growth is just not keeping up with the rising costs of living in Sg. For FTs from India and China, it's good pay once they saved up enough and return back to their country.

For Singaporeans, one has to be frugal to stay as an engineer and continue living in Sg. I think this will be even more so in the next 5-10 years unless some new policy appears and reverses this trend.

It doesn't help that FTs keep flooding the market, slowing down the salary growth in engineering sectors. Those interested in engineering careers should read up and compare engineering salary reports vs number of FTs in engineering for the past few years.

Be shallow, you'll be better off.
Go ahead and be deep. That's why you're still taking the MRT while the shallow people drive their Audi's. We need more people like you to be better but cheaper, so we can climb faster.

If you wanna be truly deep, you shouldn't live in the modern world. Go back and be a caveman or a hunter-gatherer or a yogi under a banyan tree, and you can be deep all you want.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The fact that FT are invited into into our country to take up our engineering/IT jobs is a clear sign that companies in singapore mostly focus on lowering their cost.. they are more likely to employ the cheaper alternative....
There is a reason why after working a few years after coming to realization, engineers are all desperately trying to change industry.. either that or they are trying to leave the country to work elsewhere overseas where the engineering profession is more well regarded... Dun be silly and engineer... The hours are long and the pay is crap... Your value depreciates when you get older and they'll slash your salary.. because they know you've got nowhere else to go.. You only live life once.. dun waste your life away in engineering.. You won't survive very well in singapore 10 years down the road...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
engineering

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
unfair employer... please advise curls33 Income and Jobs 8 27-04-2011 04:39 PM
Need advise nubbienub Education and Personal Growth 3 09-02-2011 10:21 AM
Aerospace Engineering vs Computer Engineering vs EE engineering john Education and Personal Growth 30 14-07-2010 03:11 AM
Advise on polytechnic courses jonathan920 Income and Jobs 3 09-07-2010 02:39 PM
advise greengrass Income and Jobs 3 15-12-2009 12:06 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,339 Replies, 1,019,272 Views
Management Consultant MBB Big4 etc... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
232 Replies, 107,258 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,246 Replies, 3,950,561 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,689 Replies, 3,320,230 Views
Credit Suisse ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 5,858 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,001 Replies, 805,796 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,216 Replies, 2,897,740 Views
20% salary bump? ( 1 2 3)
24 Replies, 5,812 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
13,371 Replies, 5,287,727 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,289 Replies, 2,117,943 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,375 Replies, 760,293 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,505 Replies, 728,579 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,230 Replies, 959,548 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
398 Replies, 433,753 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,166 Replies, 3,155,436 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
565 Replies, 216,649 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,849 Replies, 9,624,972 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
565 Replies, 235,019 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
355 Replies, 182,203 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,051 Replies, 7,146,417 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
149 Replies, 143,883 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
346 Replies, 111,367 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,477 Replies, 2,537,921 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,390 Replies, 333,145 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
967 Replies, 661,035 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,145 Replies, 958,293 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
525 Replies, 285,946 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
249 Replies, 187,251 Views
Electrical Engineering Jobs in...
2 Replies, 409 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,044 Replies, 254,569 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2