Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Advice needed on the importance of title (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1548-advice-needed-importance-title.html)

yanyan5734 04-10-2011 11:54 PM

Advice needed on the importance of title

I'm now a Project Manager in a logistic MNC, joined them after graduation 7 years ago and have been with them since then. Recently some of my peers have ask their boss to grant them an external title like Director or Vice President in order to have better credibility with clients.

I am also quite tempted actually to make a request to HR for a title change because it really sounds cool (ok, I admit I'm shallow) but more importantly I have been thinking of leaving for greener pastures. I think a good title will help out in terms of amplifying my role and also salary negotiation power.

My view is that with so many banks and MNC offering VP or Director, I might loose out at first sight in CV if put manager. Even civil service and some stat board I heard have fresh grads join as manager.

Do you think it is worth to bring it up to company?

Thanks in advance.

Unregistered 05-10-2011 10:38 AM

Just having a glorified title means nothing at the end of the day if u are just doing some admin job.

Honestly, the HR can know if u r what ur title refers to based on your salary. So having a big title is good when dealing with customers but not really when u looking for jobs....

Unregistered 05-10-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16961)
Just having a glorified title means nothing at the end of the day if u are just doing some admin job.

Honestly, the HR can know if u r what ur title refers to based on your salary. So having a big title is good when dealing with customers but not really when u looking for jobs....

LOL you think too highly of HR. I conduct interview with them to hire an analyst before, HR made up of waiting to retire aunties who know nothing about the job market or the job they are hiring for.

I was the one asking all the job-related questions and trying to figure out which is the real deal which is the bullsh_t one. All they did was ask boliao stuff like strength & weakness, are you team player, or describe time when you work under stress.

TS should go for a good title, useful for smoking through at least first round with HR.

Unregistered 07-10-2011 01:05 PM

Since title is free just go for it. Like it or not, a Director sounds more impressive at first sight than a manager.

Unregistered 07-10-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16965)
LOL you think too highly of HR. I conduct interview with them to hire an analyst before, HR made up of waiting to retire aunties who know nothing about the job market or the job they are hiring for.

I was the one asking all the job-related questions and trying to figure out which is the real deal which is the bullsh_t one. All they did was ask boliao stuff like strength & weakness, are you team player, or describe time when you work under stress.

TS should go for a good title, useful for smoking through at least first round with HR.

Anyway I leave it to TS to try to smoke HR with his "impressive" title. I agreed that HR asks about those bo liao ten year series stuff off the internet. But do remember that sometimes the hiring manager will be sitting next to HR. Try your best to smoke him then :)

Unregistered 08-10-2011 12:31 AM

An army friend of mine happen to apply for the same govt admin job as I. He had a vp title previously and I have just an engineer title. He did not make it to the 2nd interview while I got an offer eventually even though we have similar qualifications and I have 1 yr less experience.

I believe most companies that have certain standard will have ppl in hr that knows financial companies give impressive job titles that doesn't match up with the experience and pay.

Sry buddy, hope u r not reading this.

Unregistered 08-10-2011 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 17067)
An army friend of mine happen to apply for the same govt admin job as I. He had a vp title previously and I have just an engineer title. He did not make it to the 2nd interview while I got an offer eventually even though we have similar qualifications and I have 1 yr less experience.

I believe most companies that have certain standard will have ppl in hr that knows financial companies give impressive job titles that doesn't match up with the experience and pay.

Sry buddy, hope u r not reading this.

Your friend is downgrading from finance sector to govt admin? Why?

weedzz 10-10-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 17068)
Your friend is downgrading from finance sector to govt admin? Why?

Yar that is the 1st thing in my mind also. Some people leave bank because too stress, but never heard of jumping from bank to become a government administrator, makes no sense…

Unregistered 10-10-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedzz (Post 17116)
Yar that is the 1st thing in my mind also. Some people leave bank because too stress, but never heard of jumping from bank to become a government administrator, makes no sense…

did the post mention the vp title is from finance? maybe he's vp of ya kun loti? haha...

Unregistered 10-10-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedzz (Post 17116)

How does it make no sense? Maybe he's satisfied with a simple admin job with average salary. Some of my friends prefer more time over more money.