Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Should I take the offer? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1512-should-i-take-offer.html)

roshin 14-09-2011 01:17 PM

Should I take the offer?

Hi all ,

I am a diploma holder from a local poly working for past 5 years, currently working as a Senior Associate engineer earning 2000/month. I am doing a partime degree in IT and communication from UNISIM and will be graduating 2012 June with a nonHonours degree.

My current employer told me that they will offer 2.6k/month after my graduation if I intend to stay with them, but have to sign the offer now. Is it a good deal? Or should I wait till I graduate and look for other opportunity. By the way I work in software testing field.

Please give your opinion.

Unregistered 14-09-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roshin (Post 16276)
Hi all ,

I am a diploma holder from a local poly working for past 5 years, currently working as a Senior Associate engineer earning 2000/month. I am doing a partime degree in IT and communication from UNISIM and will be graduating 2012 June with a nonHonours degree.

My current employer told me that they will offer 2.6k/month after my graduation if I intend to stay with them, but have to sign the offer now. Is it a good deal? Or should I wait till I graduate and look for other opportunity. By the way I work in software testing field.

I don't see why it's not a good deal, unless there's bond of 1 year or more. Sign it!

madgoat 14-09-2011 01:56 PM

It would be helpful if you can let me know what is the break clause in your contract before I advise.

Unregistered 14-09-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roshin (Post 16276)
Hi all ,

-If there is no bond to it, just sign 1st. You can tender any time by serving 1 month notice.
-At the same time, you can still lookout for better job offer which pay you higher than $2600.

Unregistered 14-09-2011 05:45 PM

hmmmm... With the title "Senior Associate engineer" i always assume the salary is at least 3k but for you getting 2k after 5 years working, is kind of demoralizing. No offense. I can only assume you're working in a SME company. Correct me if I'm wrong.

With the current economic downturn, plausible future inflation and influx of foreign talent, i suggest sign first (I assume there's no bond). Be alert and keep a look out for better opportunity.

Good Luck!

roshin 15-09-2011 08:57 AM

Thanks for the reply...It is an MNC not SME :-( ..the reason they say for my current salary is that i only have a diploma and they have a cieling for diploma pay..sigh !!!! The new offer they gave me comes with a 1yr bond where if i want to leave i need to pay 1 month salary to them.

I am confused, just today i read in newspaper that next year graduate salary going to rise...I told them that i need time to think..Is it wise to sign if it has a bond to it ????

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16286)
hmmmm... With the title "Senior Associate engineer" i always assume the salary is at least 3k but for you getting 2k after 5 years working, is kind of demoralizing. No offense. I can only assume you're working in a SME company. Correct me if I'm wrong.

With the current economic downturn, plausible future inflation and influx of foreign talent, i suggest sign first (I assume there's no bond). Be alert and keep a look out for better opportunity.

Good Luck!

madgoat 15-09-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roshin (Post 16294)
Thanks for the reply...It is an MNC not SME :-( ..the reason they say for my current salary is that i only have a diploma and they have a cieling for diploma pay..sigh !!!! The new offer they gave me comes with a 1yr bond where if i want to leave i need to pay 1 month salary to them.

I am confused, just today i read in newspaper that next year graduate salary going to rise...I told them that i need time to think..Is it wise to sign if it has a bond to it ????

My recommendation is for you to take up the offer.

A few things you need to take note:

1) The offered $2.6K is marginally higher than that quoted by the newspaper if $2.596k

2) That news article quoted from Hay Group, a management consulting group whose primary clients consist of MNCs and civil service. This has the effect of skewing their data upwards than what an average person would experience if it included SMEs.

3) There is great economic uncertainty going ahead. Locking down now at least provides some measure of assurance on your future prospects.

4) Break fee of 1 month is not a lot and managable if anyone really makes you a very tempting offer next year.

5) In any case, based on your experience, I doubt any employer will offer you beyond $3k when you get your degree.

Bostonian 15-09-2011 11:19 AM

1 month bond just take first. if you get an offer above 3k, few months can pay back already. if you grad from unisim and cannot find job fast, easily can be at on in front of your computer for few months... lose few months of 2.6k pay.

poor 17-09-2011 11:12 AM

How much do you expect with the degree + experience?

talk with ur boss the ammount you expect like above, + 15% (assumed 1 year increase)

try to be insist on your demandand play around with the 15% or converting to extra incetive or allowence. if they can offer your intended ammount, stay for 1 year and at the same time hunt for new opts.

phd wannabe 18-09-2011 09:47 AM

a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush