Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1506-q-big4-yearly-salary-increment.html)

Unregistered 10-12-2021 04:13 PM

I think many of you are misunderstanding something.

Taking the example of the 2 valedictorians mentioned in the thread - the reason why one went to Bain and the other went to KPMG is largely due to the difference in their internship experiences. There are plenty of FCH students in Big 4. However, it is certainly not due to the reason you boomers keep quoting.

The guy who went to MBB is an example of an all rounder who is not only good in terms of studies, but also in terms of understanding what it takes to get an MBB role, and he started to position himself since year 1. He is very very different from the countless FCHs who only study and ignore their overall portfolio, which is why they landed in B4.

Simply put, there is almost close to zero chance for someone with 5.0 GPA to land an MBB role the normal way, if he has 0 experience in consulting.

Unregistered 10-12-2021 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 193238)

Taking the example of the 2 valedictorians mentioned in the thread - the reason why one went to Bain and the other went to KPMG is largely due to the difference in their internship experiences. There are plenty of FCH students in Big 4. However, it is certainly not due to the reason you boomers keep quoting.

The guy who went to MBB is an example of an all rounder who is not only good in terms of studies, but also in terms of understanding what it takes to get an MBB role, and he started to position himself since year 1. He is very very different from the countless FCHs who only study and ignore their overall portfolio, which is why they landed in B4.

Simply put, there is almost close to zero chance for someone with 5.0 GPA to land an MBB role the normal way, if he has 0 experience in consulting.

totally agree. u see all the high gpa dean lister who went big 4 after graduating. almost all of them have virtually nothing in their portfolio other than big 4 audit/tax internships, so of couse they end up going there after graduation. These kind of ppl, top consulting firms/ banks will never take them.

If ur internships are in bb or MBB or top mncs then obviously u will go for MA programmes instead or top graduate analyst/ consultant roles right.... lmfao

Unregistered 10-12-2021 04:40 PM

Quote:

Which is exactly what was said above by one poster ealier. that those acc students who go into B4 cos its the easiest path. Study only but never push themselves to do related CCAs and target the more prestigious fields from the start. All my friends who made it into IB like Citi, etc. did a lot more than just study. Some of their grades arent even top dean's list type. But they did a lot of things to ensure they get selected for the all important summer prog and then full time offer.

Quote:

i think most ppl going into B4 are the average achiever sort. reasonable grades in uni, but not outstanding. beyond prioritizing studying for finals to get good GPA/CAP, they dont bother to buff up their CV, compete for sought after internships or take part in case comps during the holidays, or get some valuable certs.

Unregistered 10-12-2021 04:46 PM

Quote:

You are bringing the conversation to a different direction already.

The original post is saying only people with average grades go to the Big 4.

So someone posted counterexamples of students with excellent grades going to Big 4.

Then suddenly someone steer conversation to talking about consulting.

Now you talking about internship experience lol.

From your post, I see you agree that “there are plenty of FCH students in Big 4”, which refutes the idea only average students go there.

Unregistered 10-12-2021 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 193240)
totally agree. u see all the high gpa dean lister who went big 4 after graduating. almost all of them have virtually nothing in their portfolio other than big 4 audit/tax internships, so of couse they end up going there after graduation. These kind of ppl, top consulting firms/ banks will never take them.

If ur internships are in bb or MBB or top mncs then obviously u will go for MA programmes instead or top graduate analyst/ consultant roles right.... lmfao

But in the first place, I don’t think you can get a BB internship unless you have outstanding grades. So the point still stands it’s all about results and what you qualify for.

Unregistered 10-12-2021 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 193226)
Oh then this is quite recent news.

Sorry some of us are dinosaurs from a previous generation haha.

Why are you dinosaurs still so vested in this thread when you’ve probably left years ago and continuing engaging in a conversation with your outdated views?

Unregistered 10-12-2021 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 193247)
But in the first place, I don’t think you can get a BB internship unless you have outstanding grades. So the point still stands it’s all about results and what you qualify for.

This is not true, loads of 2nd uppers in BB

Unregistered 10-12-2021 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 193247)

not true. 2nd upper can get if u have relevant internship experiences

Unregistered 10-12-2021 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 193244)
You are bringing the conversation to a different direction already.

The original post is saying only people with average grades go to the Big 4.

So someone posted counterexamples of students with excellent grades going to Big 4.

Then suddenly someone steer conversation to talking about consulting.

Now you talking about internship experience lol.

From your post, I see you agree that “there are plenty of FCH students in Big 4”, which refutes the idea only average students go there.

To clarify - my post was aimed at those who kept using examples of excellent/FCH Students in B4 to justify that B4 is still a career of choice. If you didn't get my message, I am trying to say that it's not that they chose to go to B4, but rather a lot of them don't have the choice because they simply can't get into MBB/BB/top MNCs with JUST good grades.

Unregistered 10-12-2021 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 193256)
To clarify - my post was aimed at those who kept using examples of excellent/FCH Students in B4 to justify that B4 is still a career of choice. If you didn't get my message, I am trying to say that it's not that they chose to go to B4, but rather a lot of them don't have the choice because they simply can't get into MBB/BB/top MNCs with JUST good grades.

hahah totally agree. know a lot of high gpa >4.7/5 but cant even get pass interviews/ resume screening at top companies cos they have nothing on their resume. so no choice have to go big 4