Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment

Old 15-10-2021, 11:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i google and it says

SUSS History in the Making. With the Ministry of Education's approval, we established ourselves as Singapore's only private university. Our first Student Admissions Exercise was launched with an offering of 40 programmes.

private uni bro
You living in the past... that page is history...

Old 16-10-2021, 03:44 AM
Unregistered

No big 3 uni no talk

Old 16-10-2021, 09:37 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
No big 3 uni no talk
Big 3 uni grads don't want to join big 4. Big 4 is their last option. My big 4 firm can only hire private uni grads or work permit holders. Most seniors in my big 4 firm are work permit holders. locals usually quit once they reach senior.the firm knows that work permit holders are easier to be exploited and they also know that private uni grads will be more committed since getting into big 4 is considered a major achievement for private uni grads but a shame for big 3 uni grads

Old 16-10-2021, 11:37 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Big 3 uni grads don't want to join big 4. Big 4 is their last option. My big 4 firm can only hire private uni grads or work permit holders. Most seniors in my big 4 firm are work permit holders. locals usually quit once they reach senior.the firm knows that work permit holders are easier to be exploited and they also know that private uni grads will be more committed since getting into big 4 is considered a major achievement for private uni grads but a shame for big 3 uni grads
Not true. It’s no longer about public or private uni in 2021 but more of millennials vs Gen Z now.

Even Gen Z private uni graduates will 嫌弃 jobs without work life balance.
Old 16-10-2021, 01:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Not true. It’s no longer about public or private uni in 2021 but more of millennials vs Gen Z now.

Even Gen Z private uni graduates will 嫌弃 jobs without work life balance.
Who is so stupid to waste their time to slog for some greedy partner who doesn’t care about you when you can suddenly die from covid or cancer? Who is so stupid to study so hard for a degree but end up as a slave who OT everyday? I can foresee only work permit holders and maybe those from poor families who really need the money to join big 4 in the future. Big 4 can outsource everything to their Phillipines or India team. I am a millennial with gen z mindset
Old 16-10-2021, 01:33 PM
Unregistered

Big 4 is now dumping ground for those who can’t enter MNCs, bank, civil service. Most of the new staff in big 4 are Malaysians, pvt uni grads who can’t enter banks, civil service and those from mid tier firms. Boomer partners should recognise that there is nothing prestigious about their sweatshops compared to 20-30 years ago. I used to be from big 4 and quit during peak to join civil service. I am enjoying work life balance now . I pity those who are still suffering there

Old 16-10-2021, 01:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Big 4 is now dumping ground for those who can’t enter MNCs, bank, civil service. Most of the new staff in big 4 are Malaysians, pvt uni grads who can’t enter banks, civil service and those from mid tier firms. Boomer partners should recognise that there is nothing prestigious about their sweatshops compared to 20-30 years ago. I used to be from big 4 and quit during peak to join civil service. I am enjoying work life balance now . I pity those who are still suffering there
if OP wants a dip to report to him or her, please stay away from MNCs and go government. MNCs don't take your academic qualification so seriously. But, if you go government, please take note that your reporting officer can be someone younger than you and holds a degree also. the degree might not be of relevance too. If both circumstances you also cannot, can do grab? at least you manage yourself. That's because in the 60s and 70s with a less educated population, paper qualification becomes the only effective measure of competence. So this idea worked during those period. But as decades went by, information reaches the digital age, variety of education increases, industries experience shifts again and again. Paper qualifications is no longer the only method of determining competence. Professional certificates, objectives driven performance indicators, advanced efficient management of resources, competition all come into the equation. But the chronic problem of passive thinking continue to plague government sectors and Government linked companies. The act of thought deferment to the next higher rank can damage the route for continual improvement. Insularity of job security adds on top the complacency so this idea remains. That's why you often hear about people encouraging the toxic idea of accepting status quo rather than improvement, questioning diligence and innovation rather than encouraging them. The MNCs on the other hand faces real competition daily. You get ousted if you don't transform and catch up (nokia and kodak are good examples). So they are on their toes daily ready to take your market share at the slightest opportunity. Also, without the protection of a thick resource drawn from the country, every cent counts, every project matters. This drives the employees to do well and prosper or screw up and lose out. With an open market, anyone who can contribute moves up. That paper is meant to help you do better, not a guarantee to be better. If you don't have that paper, there are other avenues to meet the same objective too. Whatever it takes to meet the target. I work in a German MNC and feels OK. Was in a GLC more than 10 years ago but its ways never connected with me. The MNC pressure and pace is there. Many FTs from around the world, but the multi cultural and nationality environment also gave me exposure. I have travelled many times over the years before covid to US, Europe, China and Japan for work before. Even though I have only a Diploma, but like that poster earlier, anything goes , as long as I create value. The keyword is value add but I would also like to add a point he/she missed out, and that's the ability to recognize opportunities and use it, the willingness to be better than your competitors and have good teamwork spirit with your colleagues. I also promote people in my department base on opportunities available and their performance. Degree or not is irrelevant but specific professional certificates relevant to specific jobs will be helpful (I don't hire fresh grads) if they are able to provide what we are looking for. Who cares if you put in more effort last time. Its your effort now that counts. Even if you have no degree or diploma but you put in alot of effort to make your hiring managers life easier as compared to a degree holder, you will still be promoted. That is the way it should be. Nobody cares if you only put in effort to get that degree. In fact nobody cares about your degree once you are in the company.

I just post a question for a wfh job and all the diploma dreamers get triggered. If you want to promote, then go and get a degree. Any degree also can why so lazy. If you no degree you cannot promote because a degree holder cannot report to diploma holder otherwise the ranking will mess up. You go and look at all the GLC, where got degree holder report to diploma? So don't tell me how good you are or how much better you perform than me. If you no degree, you can't promote above me. Period. I resigned from that mnc also because how can degree holder report to diploma holder? And i got degree you want me to drive grab? You crazy or what? tell me you never work in a government agency before. LOL, I am from there and I can tell you we do have a degree reporting to a diploma, yes, the diploma will be stuck at a certain level but a degree doesn't give you a route to promotion either. better wake up your ideas huh. I hold a Master degree and I report to someone who has an irrelevant degree but so what right? and what's the big deal about degree can't drive grab? based on your attitude and mindset, how to get a job right, better to drive grab so you are in charge of yourself? The reality is, you are now jobless and stop thinking about getting a WFH job dude! Everyone will go back to the office one day. LOL! the longer you are jobless, the less bargaining power you have in your job finding. i hope the OP understands this fact. all education cert has an expiry date. i have seen degree holders been offered a job that normally gives to a diploma graduate only and the reason is simply that the degree holder has been jobless for too long and HR is not confident of that person is able to perform a job. To make it worse, if you stayed home the rest of the time and not looking or doing something like upgrading yourself, your resume usually lands in the bin. beggars can't be choosers In mnc, you don't have a 'track'. That is for GLC. Because businesses and changes are volatile in MNC. Your KPI last year changes with the global environment. Those who keep up to it gets ahead and there must be opportunities usually vacated by leaving or retiring staffs. Even mgmt trainees get asked to go before they reach their so called promised positions during difficult times or restructuring because there is simply no track. The 'gap' is dependent on value adding and opportunities available not your paper qualifications. No track was why I resigned from that mnc job. The promotion track should always be set clearly and promotions for degree holders should always be faster and higher than diploma holders regardless of their value add. So work performance should never be a factor for consideration between a degree holder or diploma holder when promoting. Degree holders should never report to diploma holders. Period. Alot of people here still subscribe to the old school of thoughts thinking a degree will give them an advantage in MNC jobs. And then sulk on public forum when they can't get in an MNC. Keep telling themselves they have a degree therefore they should be handed the MMC position. I loled

In reality the degree only gets you into your first job. After that experience counts more than a piece of paper. Connections and network get you places. Not that piece of paper. The dip holder you describe should be a master deg holder. Dip holder cannot be able to do that.
Dip holder cannot take pmp or six sigmah red belt. Only deg holder can. The ranking system will be there to control so it will not be messy. So you want to big canon also be realistic a bit lah. That's why mnc will not let dip promote faster than deg. These are some of the interesting posts on here that I think everyone should read again. The MNC pressure and pace is there. Many FTs from around the world, but the multi cultural and nationality environment also gave me exposure. I have travelled many times over the years before covid to US, Europe, China and Japan for work before. Even though I have only a Diploma, but like that poster earlier, anything goes , as long as I create value. The keyword is value add but I would also like to add a point he/she missed out, and that's the ability to recognize opportunities and use it, the willingness to be better than your competitors and have good teamwork spirit with your colleagues. I also promote people in my department base on opportunities available and their performance. Degree or not is irrelevant but specific professional certificates relevant to specific jobs will be helpful (I don't hire fresh grads) if they are able to provide what we are looking for. Who cares if you put in more effort last time. Its your effort now that counts. Even if you have no degree or diploma but you put in alot of effort to make your hiring managers life easier as compared to a degree holder, you will still be promoted. That is the way it should be. Nobody cares if you only put in effort to get that degree. In fact nobody cares about your degree once you are in the company. LOL!!!!!!!!!!
Old 16-10-2021, 01:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Cui to avg big 3 accountancy grads will still go for big 4 lah, nowhere else will take them
Old 16-10-2021, 02:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
being in big 4 is better than being in some japalang SME startup/ company like *ahem* recent saga right
Old 16-10-2021, 08:53 PM
Unregistered

Default Sca

Anyone knows if big 4 sponsors SCA for tax associates? If so, which big 4? Thanks!