Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1506-q-big4-yearly-salary-increment.html)

Unregistered 18-11-2015 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 75364)
one can easily join a BB in the back office, and receive a starting pay taht a grad deserve - 4K.

benefits wise - 25 days of leave, compared to 14 for the stupid4, proper meal and taxi allowance unlike the stupid4.

medical? foc. dental? foc.

staff welfare? might be abit lacking (no clubhouse etc) but hey, does that matter when you spend 18hrs at work and work weekends? you never have to work weekends in a bank.

i always tell accounting grads, dont be a fool and join the stupid4 which underpays you. you are a professional, with a professional qualification (like a law degree). go for a company that values you as a person, not a slave

dont under-estimate benefits. i am a professional working 70 hrs a week with only a shitty medical insurance (limited to a few lousy clinics). $120 annual dental claims, no clubhouse, no D&D, only catered-in xmas and cny lunches that taste worse than my sch food. not much welfare perks besides a measly 10% discount at some places...

Unregistered 18-11-2015 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 75365)
dont under-estimate benefits. i am a professional working 70 hrs a week with only a shitty medical insurance (limited to a few lousy clinics). $120 annual dental claims, no clubhouse, no D&D, only catered-in xmas and cny lunches that taste worse than my sch food. not much welfare perks besides a measly 10% discount at some places...

so are you working in a BB bank?

Do not need to know 18-11-2015 05:16 PM

Well...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 75364)
one can easily join a BB in the back office, and receive a starting pay taht a grad deserve - 4K.

benefits wise - 25 days of leave, compared to 14 for the stupid4, proper meal and taxi allowance unlike the stupid4.

medical? foc. dental? foc.

staff welfare? might be abit lacking (no clubhouse etc) but hey, does that matter when you spend 18hrs at work and work weekends? you never have to work weekends in a bank.

i always tell accounting grads, dont be a fool and join the stupid4 which underpays you. you are a professional, with a professional qualification (like a law degree). go for a company that values you as a person, not a slave

Big 4 have more then 25 days of paid leaves.. They are just in different categories, and this is excluding hospitalisation.

I am not talking about just medical or dental. Those are fully subsidised. U get funding for buying health care products like vitamin, protein and sorts. U also get funds for spec change every year and sport gear.

Audit have peak and off peak period.

For peak yea u work late and hard, 18 hrs are only for a few. There are some team that go home on time even during peak.. It's all depending on job.

I am not sure if it's true, but what I was made known is that when off peak.. Ppl go hm by 4 reach office by 9/10. Working hour is more flexi and someday u can just take your rest. Weekend is not mandatory but due to Kpi focus on job completion instead of working hours, I know ppl who work smart and efficient don't work weekend most of the time.

U also miss out on the prestigious title and community/event.

Do not need to know 18-11-2015 05:28 PM

What does that got to do with anything?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 75366)
so are you working in a BB bank?

He is talking about the power of welfare benefits, what that got to do with working at a BB bank? U already admit BB bank benefit are not comparable with big4.

Unregistered 18-11-2015 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Do not need to know (Post 75350)
I believe you guys are too focus with the salaries and forgot about benefits.

Associate is getting 2.9k to 3.1k as fresh grad currently.
Increment is about 400 to 500 per number change (AA2 to AA1, or G2 to G1, or whatever they call it)
Promotion between grade (Associate to Senior, or Senior to AM, and so on) is about 1k to 2k depending.
You do not need to be manager to know all these... talk to colleague and look at your own, u can do the maths to get the avg.

Yes, some of you might be urging about lower pay and $$$ is more important, but benefits are technically $$$ provided to you too!

Things like corporation card with customize logo, fully sub SQP/CA Singapore, fully paid medical, oversea secondment, their own building (PWC?), their exclusive clubhouse (KPMG?), claimable funding for healthcare (sports shoes, gym membership, dental), discount with partnered business entity, exclusive event (I believe KPMG just had their close door zouk party for Halloween or something).

There is also the title there, try telling your family that u work at some unknown company for 10k and they would go like "oh wow nice pay! not bad not bad!". Now try having someone telling them that they work for the world 4 largest auditing firm and holding 8k pay. Human by nature recognize title more than your pay level, or we won't have king, queen, master, lord and peasant cast title.

There are things $$$ can't get you, and that's the working community. if you are hired to be a toilet cleaner for 4k per month but u get to talk to no 1 and have no contact with anyone, u are not benefiting yourself in the long run. While getting a lower pay of 3k, u get to enjoy work life and corporate events, I would rather take this over toilet cleaning.

If you are looking for pure $$$ and not enjoying work, then everywhere u go is not enough for you. And at the end of the day, you are better off working as your own boss and starting a new business.

My 2 cent worth

WTH. You would rather go for prestige than overall quality of life (yes salary is a factor in overall quality of life). You are incredibly shallow and naive. Seriously who gives a damn about having some fancy schmancy title when all you are is ultimately a dog. They can promote everybody to become some VP or Managing Director. You are still shite if you are working like a dog alongside 100 other VPs.

Imagine if they promoted every NS man to Captain after they finish BMT and gave them a fancy namecard and free Officer's Mess membership. sorry...still a dog...now go pick up the bosses' trash.

Do not need to know 19-11-2015 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 75396)
WTH. You would rather go for prestige than overall quality of life (yes salary is a factor in overall quality of life). You are incredibly shallow and naive. Seriously who gives a damn about having some fancy schmancy title when all you are is ultimately a dog. They can promote everybody to become some VP or Managing Director. You are still shite if you are working like a dog alongside 100 other VPs.

Imagine if they promoted every NS man to Captain after they finish BMT and gave them a fancy namecard and free Officer's Mess membership. sorry...still a dog...now go pick up the bosses' trash.

And now u are being over focus on 1 point of the whole statement.

Taking your example, having every NS man promoted to Captain result in the Captain title being not prestigious. The point of Big 4 is that not everyone can survive in it and not everyone can handle it. Finished BMT AND actually perform your role as a Captain while surviving, THAT is the point of holding title.

So, no. Your example is not really putting out the point of the title. people who work in Big 4 work their fair share to HOLD the title, that is why joining as an associate don't give u a title, but after a few years and you are still in it AND as a manager? THAT is the title.

There is a reason why there aint 100 VP along side working with you. You are the one being naive and shallow here. anyway, i shall stop the argument here and let it be.

peace out.

Unregistered 19-11-2015 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 75332)
go for the banks, dun waste time on big4

What role/position should I gun at?

I am currently the top 5% of a local acct degree course. I'm just sad that my acct knowledge won't be well remunerated at the big 4s.

I've been told to join the front office many times. Anyone has other alternatives?

Unregistered 19-11-2015 07:46 AM

+how does the big4 compare with stat boards related to acct/fnce like GIC/MAS/AGD/IRAS etc?

Unregistered 19-11-2015 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Do not need to know (Post 75369)
Big 4 have more then 25 days of paid leaves.. They are just in different categories, and this is excluding hospitalisation.

I am not talking about just medical or dental. Those are fully subsidised. U get funding for buying health care products like vitamin, protein and sorts. U also get funds for spec change every year and sport gear.

Audit have peak and off peak period.

For peak yea u work late and hard, 18 hrs are only for a few. There are some team that go home on time even during peak.. It's all depending on job.

I am not sure if it's true, but what I was made known is that when off peak.. Ppl go hm by 4 reach office by 9/10. Working hour is more flexi and someday u can just take your rest. Weekend is not mandatory but due to Kpi focus on job completion instead of working hours, I know ppl who work smart and efficient don't work weekend most of the time.

U also miss out on the prestigious title and community/event.

in a big bank, you get 22-25 days of leave. period. no different caegories blah blah. u just take as and when you want. if you cant, you carry over. no such thing as off in lieu etc.

if you happen to work on a PH, you get 1 day off.

the flex benefits? banks have caught up. and i can tell you, their flex pay is definitely more than the big4s. an entry level fresh grad can use his flex to pay off his lasik op. thats the kind of $ we are talking about.

title? so you have a name card from a big4 that says associate is satki? everyone knows the big4 is nothing but a slave driver. what prestige is there?

i rather have Analyst, DCM, XX Bank anytime, and drive my sports car into ORQ.

btw, have you even been to the toilets in ORQ? maybe if you were ex EY.

Unregistered 19-11-2015 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 75418)
in a big bank, you get 22-25 days of leave. period. no different caegories blah blah. u just take as and when you want. if you cant, you carry over. no such thing as off in lieu etc.

if you happen to work on a PH, you get 1 day off.

the flex benefits? banks have caught up. and i can tell you, their flex pay is definitely more than the big4s. an entry level fresh grad can use his flex to pay off his lasik op. thats the kind of $ we are talking about.

title? so you have a name card from a big4 that says associate is satki? everyone knows the big4 is nothing but a slave driver. what prestige is there?

i rather have Analyst, DCM, XX Bank anytime, and drive my sports car into ORQ.

btw, have you even been to the toilets in ORQ? maybe if you were ex EY.

What about the toilets?