How much $ do you give your parents every month? - Page 3 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How much $ do you give your parents every month?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 19-09-2011, 12:53 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

i don't give at all... as she has enough to rely on.

when i give, she worries for me and thought that i'm pretending to be loaded, and that in turn makes her unhappy, regardless what i say.

it's only after when i stopped giving her, she became happier and believe i am starting to save for my retirement.

well, works both ways by not giving the allowances.

i do give meal treats and presents all the time though.

Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 19-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
About 4 dollars each.

$4 for a packet of wanton mee a month for my mom and $4 for a bundle of hell notes for my dad
Are you feeding dogs or your mom? As I said, your mom is better off giving birth to char siew than to you...at least she can eat the char siew and no need to wait for a few slice of it in the wanton mee every month.....



SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 19-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Son
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Gave mom $1000 per month
Gave Dad a car 3 years ago ( car was relatively cheap then)
At least he got a car to drive for the next 7 years.

Dad is still working
mom is taking care of the kids.
Both parents no outstanding loan, just worry about utlities and car expenses.

Also, birthday presents, CNY 'bonus' and occasional holidays
Spending on parents, $20K to $30K per year ave.
Returns : priceless

Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 19-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Bought two condos for them to collect rent.
Hired two maids to take care of them.
Pay for all holidays, expenses and gifts.
Never ask for anything in return.
Shame on those who did.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 20-09-2011, 11:28 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 319
lazyplane is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sadly, I am still partially supporting my children who are almost 30 yrs old even though I spent almost $1m on all their overseas education. Am setting up a trust fund to take care of them after I'm gone because they (especially one of them) are quite spendthrift and I'm afraid if they get all my money in a lump sum, they will squander it. When I think back, perhaps I should not have pampered them so much....

this is a true scenario for many singaporeans. being a parent myself,i am worried i may end up in a similiar situation. However, i was glad to hear a fellow more senior grandparent relate this insight to me that once u paid for their education, the rest is really up to them. as for the rest of your wealth, give to the next generation ie setup your trustfund to give to grandchildren instead. eg education cost of grandchildren.

also , if u have really alot do the warren buffet thing or the bill gates which to give their wealth to a cause. by doing so, u can still teach your children and your children childrens the values you hold dear.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 21-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Are you feeding dogs or your mom? As I said, your mom is better off giving birth to char siew than to you...at least she can eat the char siew and no need to wait for a few slice of it in the wanton mee every month.....
Be flexible in your thinking, self righteousness don't get you anywhere except on an ego trip. Not all mothers are good.
Reply With Quote

  #27 (permalink)  
Old 21-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyplane View Post
this is a true scenario for many singaporeans. being a parent myself,i am worried i may end up in a similiar situation. However, i was glad to hear a fellow more senior grandparent relate this insight to me that once u paid for their education, the rest is really up to them. as for the rest of your wealth, give to the next generation ie setup your trustfund to give to grandchildren instead. eg education cost of grandchildren.

also , if u have really alot do the warren buffet thing or the bill gates which to give their wealth to a cause. by doing so, u can still teach your children and your children childrens the values you hold dear.
If you already have a lot, please snowball it and have more, trust funds and tons of related companies, multiple holding companies are good for diversification of taxation and legal risks. As for values to hold dear, I advocate always think of yourself first, and keep low profile to prevent parasites from leeching.

Politics (positions of power), money and health are all one's needs, love...filiai piety etc are nothing but concepts and emotions easy for manipulation.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 22-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you already have a lot, please snowball it and have more, trust funds and tons of related companies, multiple holding companies are good for diversification of taxation and legal risks. As for values to hold dear, I advocate always think of yourself first, and keep low profile to prevent parasites from leeching.

Politics (positions of power), money and health are all one's needs, love...filiai piety etc are nothing but concepts and emotions easy for manipulation.
Wow, you sure have a sad childhood to have those statements reflected in here. Are you emotionally or sexually abuse by your parents?

I think you need to see a doctor coz you sure got serious mental problem. I hope your kids (assuming you have, but then again think better not coz they will condemn you if u bring them to this world) will "treat" you well...
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 22-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Angry Paying In Laws

My hubby gives around SGD750 a mth to both parents whom are in Malaysia (Which translates to abt RM1800.00). They are still not satisfied and keep asking for more! I'm very fed up with their attitude.

I'm a stayhome mom, 2 school going kids. We still have to pay for our HDB, kids tuitions and enrichments and our own livelihood. Why are they so ungrateful? My FIL likes to gamble, thus treats us like ATM, ask us to send $$ when ever he needs. We had just settled a huge medical bil for him (he almost died) but he continues his gambling habits.

I really don't know what to do. I feel like elling them off but I don't want my hubby to be sanwiched btwn his wife and parents!

They have a younger son whom also contributes to them but not very regular.

What do you think I should do? Or am I over reacting? I'm worried for my kids education.. plus this has given a lot of stress to my hubby. He works 2 jobs to try to make more so that he can give them more! I'm afraid his health will be compromised. Why are they so inconsiderate?
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 22-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My hubby gives around SGD750 a mth to both parents whom are in Malaysia (Which translates to abt RM1800.00). They are still not satisfied and keep asking for more! I'm very fed up with their attitude.

I'm a stayhome mom, 2 school going kids. We still have to pay for our HDB, kids tuitions and enrichments and our own livelihood. Why are they so ungrateful? My FIL likes to gamble, thus treats us like ATM, ask us to send $$ when ever he needs. We had just settled a huge medical bil for him (he almost died) but he continues his gambling habits.

I really don't know what to do. I feel like elling them off but I don't want my hubby to be sanwiched btwn his wife and parents!

They have a younger son whom also contributes to them but not very regular.

What do you think I should do? Or am I over reacting? I'm worried for my kids education.. plus this has given a lot of stress to my hubby. He works 2 jobs to try to make more so that he can give them more! I'm afraid his health will be compromised. Why are they so inconsiderate?
I think your hubby has to tell them off. Giving them money to gamble is not filial, and to think that he still have 2 kids to support. Unless he is earning lots of money else, put the money to good use on your kids and family. Sad to say, some parents are selfish, and never think for their children, anyone with dignity will never want to depend on someone else unless they have poor health or a good reason.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fresh Grad working as software engineer earning 10k/month megasoma Income and Jobs 7 28-07-2011 11:23 AM
Credit Card Promoter Makes 20k to 30k a Month Salary.sg Investments and Net Worth 12 01-08-2008 07:57 PM
Half-month bonus for civil servants Salary.sg Income and Jobs 1 21-05-2008 06:41 PM
6-figure a month for private banker? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 13-12-2007 11:20 AM
$25,000 a month in real estate Salary.sg Income and Jobs 1 04-12-2007 05:07 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
961 Replies, 759,197 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,908 Replies, 724,562 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
214 Replies, 66,764 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,319 Replies, 978,573 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,073 Replies, 1,398,329 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,079 Replies, 1,353,423 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,249 Replies, 1,070,919 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,449 Replies, 4,313,274 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
499 Replies, 245,335 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
782 Replies, 556,762 Views
UBS Graduate Talent Program ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 12,336 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
511 Replies, 602,338 Views
Associate in DBS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
145 Replies, 189,941 Views
Salaries of Professors in SG ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
127 Replies, 193,577 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
679 Replies, 330,586 Views
Top paying companies in SG for... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
70 Replies, 56,653 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
190 Replies, 107,106 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
915 Replies, 366,628 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,400 Replies, 354,228 Views
Really that bad for engineers? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,213 Replies, 798,220 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,255 Replies, 431,315 Views
Exxonmobil ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 11,655 Views
GIC career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
185 Replies, 242,701 Views
Commercial Affairs Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
79 Replies, 46,249 Views
Foreigner in Banking Industry
4 Replies, 452 Views
Govtech bonus ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 2,666 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 3,648 Views
Asset Management Salary and... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 6,596 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,170 Replies, 571,249 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
269 Replies, 202,550 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2