Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

Old 19-12-2015, 12:20 PM
Unregistered

Default Rebut pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
To be honest, I think one reason why MOST SIM graduates don't get very well paying jobs comes down to these things

Desire for a Job:

Most of my friends who are in SIM only start looking for jobs AFTER they finish their final paper. Which means, they start looking for jobs in May each other. By that time, all that's left are jobs that no one wants. Hard truth is, local U students begin looking for jobs as soon as their final year start. Since August until now I've had 4 offers, calls for interviews and 2 more interviews lined up and these are reputable firms - Big4, JPM, GS and management consultancies.

Job Experience:

As much as SIM students want to believe that they are doing part-time therefore the 3 years of experience is very valued. It is not. There is a reason why almost every MAP states that you must be a graduate with less than 2 years of experience. And, most local U students have internship experiences with bigger firms. An SIM student probably has experience with a small local firm or a regional MNC but a local kid will probably have several internships with Fortune100 firms.

On Campus Recruiting:

This is pretty much a killer. Most firms do OCR at the 3 unis including SUTD and SIT. It's pretty much a relationship between the firm and school that they always go to the school to recruit even during bad times, do some token recruiting to maintain relationship. It's a deal breaker.

Leadership Experience:

I joined several CCAs, was part of an exco, did a 6 month exchange, 3 internships, represented the school in competition all the while maintaining a 2nd upper gpa. You may think this is good but to be honest, throw a rock at anyone in SMU, 33% chance you'll hit someone with better accolade than this.

And the most important point is the value of the network. It cannot be emphasized more that statistics are simply against SIM students here. NUS/NTU/SMU is more likely to produce a future senior management than SIM. It's simply a numbers game. You might think networking externally is good enough. But think about why people put their careers on hold to attend top15 MBA schools while taking on upwards of 150k debts? It's easier to get a job or sell a project when you were schoolmates with the CEO/MD than if it was some guy you met at a cocktail party.

My fellow batchmates will kill me for saying this but to be honest, getting into NUS/NTU/SMU is very hard but to graduate? You almost have to try to not graduate. There are some tough courses no doubt, but most of the time? The courses are very easy to pass. It's almost a given that if you test anything on the slides, everyone is gonna score full marks. It has reached the point where the professors set paper not to test whether you know your content or not but rather, catches you on stupid careless mistakes you make.
Wow!!!
After reading this, i feel those who took their "private degree" @ PSB, MDIS, SIM & etc had just burn their money away.

Can anyone from "private degree" rebut this guy/gal?
It's kind of demoralizing to hear.

Those from sales (i.e. property/ insurance) does NOT count.
Why? You just need O-Level. And sales is an art, not science. Anyone/anybody who is extrovert, brave & good communication skill, can do sales. If the person is good looking, even better.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 19-12-2015, 01:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
UOL is essentially an education franchise. MDIS, PSB and several other private institutions offer UOL classes for students who registered for UOL exams. However, SIM generally have higher enrolment rate (thus more well-known), provides more support to its students and gives UOL student a better "full-fledged" university experience as compared to other private institutions in Singapore.

Btw, I'm a SIM-UOL student. When asked, I just say it as it is. I have faced my fair share of discriminations in interviews and at work before. Truth to be told, I have seen more SIM-UOL with f***ed up work attitude as compared to local uni peeps. On the other hand, I have also worked with local uni students who are scholars but have an "uncoachable" attitude. They may be smart and able, but being an arrogant prick means seniors deem them as "uncoachable", and they do not get dibs on the best deals. End of the day, if one manages to get into the doors, progression boils down to attitude.

Have a great day everyone! Don't stress so much about small stuff. Do whatever make you happy. Lastly, don't romanticised any jobs before you are even in the industry. Makes anyone look like an ignorant fool.
This is the kind of attitude that will get you far. Pay attention, SIM people. Acknowledge the limitations of your degree and keep a humble attitude. Grasping at outlandish stories like so-and-so UOL grad who made it big and earns $99999999 bucks and is now an MD in so-and-so MegaBank is not going to help you. Focus on the here and now.

Old 21-12-2015, 05:03 PM
Unregistered

Sim uol grad here. Doing b2b sales to FIs in a MNC. i'm below 30 drawing base of 9k. Comms per annum varies from 3-9months depending on the revenue i bring in.

Old 21-12-2015, 06:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sim uol grad here. Doing b2b sales to FIs in a MNC. i'm below 30 drawing base of 9k. Comms per annum varies from 3-9months depending on the revenue i bring in.
just when UOL grads gain some credibility some joker comes and posts something like that... and the circle of hate perpetuates over and over again.

this forum sure attracts some looney characters.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 22-12-2015, 10:08 AM
Unregistered

uol FCH here.

working as a AVP in BO with a big bank, drawing 8.5k monthly.

have a team of smu/nus people reporting to me.
Old 22-12-2015, 11:37 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
lol. Can i have your bloomberg ID? Lets see if you are really trading, and from UOL. LOL.

Old 23-12-2015, 11:04 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
lol. Can i have your bloomberg ID? Lets see if you are really trading, and from UOL. LOL.
its: [email protected]
Old 23-12-2015, 09:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
uol FCH here.

working as a AVP in BO with a big bank, drawing 8.5k monthly.

have a team of smu/nus people reporting to me.
Lol. SP graduate here. No degree whatsoever

Working as VP with a big bank, drawing 12k monthly.

Have a team of nus/ntu/smu and also UOL people reporting to me
Old 23-12-2015, 09:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Lol. SP graduate here. No degree whatsoever

Working as VP with a big bank, drawing 12k monthly.

Have a team of nus/ntu/smu and also UOL people reporting to me
Lol I'm not sure why non-local uni graduates are so delighted that they have local uni graduates working under them.

If you have already worked for >10 years, and are in your mid-thirties, I wouldn't be too surprised that there are fresh local uni graduates (who are 23/25 years old) under your wing. In fact, I would feel bad for you if that's not the case.
Old 24-12-2015, 09:11 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Lol I'm not sure why non-local uni graduates are so delighted that they have local uni graduates working under them.

If you have already worked for >10 years, and are in your mid-thirties, I wouldn't be too surprised that there are fresh local uni graduates (who are 23/25 years old) under your wing. In fact, I would feel bad for you if that's not the case.
I hope he didn't tell his kid "Look at me, no degree yet all the degree holders report to me!"

In the current generation of 20+ year olds, if you don't have a degree, you can forget about climbing up. Even those seniors without degrees will find that they start to hit a ceiling before 40 years old due to the vast numbers of degree holders available nowadays. The company would rather invest in someone who is young and can go far.