Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

Old 03-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
fark off and dun try & talk big plz. i am proud of my school from sim and the fact i now make more $$$ than the elitist scholars.
with this kind of comment, you are just proving that some sim grads have bad attitudes.

then again, i dunno whether are you really from sim.

i was from sim (rmit), i did outperform some other uni grads already but we dun go around bragging about it or what. it is through own hard work and effort and we prove our worth through actions. in my current firm, all degree holders are treated the same and we care more about what each other can contribute.

somehow i have the feeling that most comments here are from undergrads (sim and local unis) rather than grads already working.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:44 PM
Unregistered

u are just proving the previous post right. haha

Quote:
fark off and dun try & talk big plz. i am proud of my school from sim and the fact i now make more $$$ than the elitist scholars.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Top Australian Unis are not significantly better than NUS.
frankly speaking, Australian universities are not bad, even the second tier ones are recognised worldwide. the country is so huge but there are only 30+ universities, unlike US and China where there are thousands of universities.

but its because they are too profit-oriented and money-minded that led to the standard of their degrees dropping, though they do deliver high quality programmes.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:52 PM

SG_User is on a distinguished road

SIM grads seems to be disliked/condemned by many here. Hmm...
Old 03-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Don't be retarded. SIM's schooling culture does not breed this kind of crude person. I am from SIM-UOL and I can smell you as a troll trying to bring down our school's reputation.

Anyway, I am 28 years old this year, working in marketing department earning 5k a month as marketing manager in a local SMC. Not all SIM-UOL deserves to get low pay, in our society especially sales, marketing and HR, being street smart is more important than having tons of knowledge.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG_User View Post
SIM grads seems to be disliked/condemned by many here. Hmm...
if you read carefully, might even be just 1 person trolling around? I grad from one of the local unis, i have some friends from SIM, i have a few SIM colleagues and they are all ok in their work and are rather nice people.

i suspect it might be the case of someone getting outperformed by a SIM grad and feeling sour about it? no offence here. if it really happens, you should take it in your stride and try to improve yourself. in healthy competition, if you make personal attack just because you think you come from somewhere better, then its really immature of you.

why bash own country citizens when we should be competing against the FTs?

Old 03-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Generally as a group SIMs are inferior to the proper local university graduates in terms of articulation, written correspondence, general knowledge and attitude. Most SIMs seem to be aware of this poor perception of them and try to thump their noses by potraying themselves as streetsmart and often rationalise questionable work attitude.

Never count, but throughout my recruitment days probably have met 200-300 SIMs I guess. My estimate is about 15%-20% are late bloomers who just happen to do poorly in school in their early days and can take on the competiton with better grads and even outperform them career wise. The rest mostly have sub-par careers compared to other degree grads and like to lament and attribute such poor career performance to the world being unfair and look down on SIM.
maybe you have seen more SIM grads than me but i think i will only believe 50% of what you said. i dun think they are in any way inferior in terms of articulation, written correspondence and general knowledge. at least not what i have experienced. some of them can express themselves so well. attitude wise im not sure. but i know some of them perhaps didnt work as hard during their pre-university days and are working hard now. and to be fair, a few from other private schs are doing fine too.

somehow in where i work, we dun talk and care about where we come from anymore. who still does that? we care more about the ability of each of us and the personality of each of us, EQ!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:09 AM
Unregistered

I think if you conduct a survey on 1000 NUS grads, 1000 NTU grads and 1000 SIM grads, and consider their career progression, salary and performance, the ranking order will be as such too. Generally, NUS & NTU graduates are superior in terms of quality and calibre. I mean, if you compare the number of ministers, lawyers, doctors, entrepreneurs and top professions that each institution produces, it is not hard to see which one is better. (P.S. And dont argue that SIM don't offer medicine and law courses....that is absolutely besides the point)

Quote:
maybe you have seen more SIM grads than me but i think i will only believe 50% of what you said. i dun think they are in any way inferior in terms of articulation, written correspondence and general knowledge. at least not what i have experienced. some of them can express themselves so well. attitude wise im not sure. but i know some of them perhaps didnt work as hard during their pre-university days and are working hard now. and to be fair, a few from other private schs are doing fine too.

somehow in where i work, we dun talk and care about where we come from anymore. who still does that? we care more about the ability of each of us and the personality of each of us, EQ!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:41 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I think if you conduct a survey on 1000 NUS grads, 1000 NTU grads and 1000 SIM grads, and consider their career progression, salary and performance, the ranking order will be as such too. Generally, NUS & NTU graduates are superior in terms of quality and calibre. I mean, if you compare the number of ministers, lawyers, doctors, entrepreneurs and top professions that each institution produces, it is not hard to see which one is better. (P.S. And dont argue that SIM don't offer medicine and law courses....that is absolutely besides the point)

SIM students think that they are going to make it big just because they study a banking and finance degree. Most think too highly of themselves and they can all talk about going into banks, yet they dont even have any idea which segment of the banks they want to venture in.

Most of them thinks that just because of a three year half-fark degree, they are suddenly going to draw a five figure. All they see is the glamour yet they have no idea what it really takes to be a private banker or a commodity trader.

However, there are still a handful that are practical and are willing to work hard to achieve what they want.

Ultimately i believe when you enter the society, its alot about attitude, the willingness to strive and work hard. There is no doubt that in general, those people in local uni are of a higher calibre than those in SIM. But there are definitely SIM graduates who make it in life. So let's not stereotype.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:00 AM

SG_User is on a distinguished road

Quote:
if you read carefully, might even be just 1 person trolling around? I grad from one of the local unis, i have some friends from SIM, i have a few SIM colleagues and they are all ok in their work and are rather nice people.

i suspect it might be the case of someone getting outperformed by a SIM grad and feeling sour about it? no offence here. if it really happens, you should take it in your stride and try to improve yourself. in healthy competition, if you make personal attack just because you think you come from somewhere better, then its really immature of you.

why bash own country citizens when we should be competing against the FTs?
Quite true...And especially when they are merely guests, not even registered accounts