Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

Old 28-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Has anyone with a sim uol degree apply for a uniform post in mha?
what u wanna ask?

Old 28-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Unregistered

That if it is recognised and the percentage over the top 3 uni grads there

Old 31-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Unregistered

Default l

Quote:
I am a local uni grad and it is very hard to find a bank job in 2012/2013. My friends actually tried for 4 to 5 months before giving up and settling for a lesser paid job. Your situation is exactly what we are experiencing. If local uni grads are having a hard time, you guys must be worst off.

There are a lot of idiotic people here unaware of current market conditions and sprouting nonsense. The banks are freezing headcount left right and center. People in the industry are fully aware of that, and instead of job hopping for higher pay in the good old days, they all ham chee stay in their current jobs. This means that there are no vacancies at all. When 1 vacancy opens, as you had mentioned, there are lot of people applying for it.

It had reached the point that local uni grad with 2nd upper + banking internship + CFA level 1 + exco of uni investment club went for 20 interviews and only got offered a 2.9k job with a ****ed up bank after 4 months of job search.

Marketing jobs are paying 2.6 - 2.8 now.

Logistics and supply chain paying 2.4 - 2.6 now.

Accountancy big 4 paying 2.7 - 2.8 now. I am aware than mid tier pays much lesser, but none of local uni students i know go below big 4 so i cannot tell u how much they pay. 2.3 - 2.4 is a guess.

Retards here please stop using IB pay examples because they do not apply to normal people. Sure, I got a friend in an IB, but you know what he got? He got a summa cum laude (GPA >3.8 out of 4), double degree in economics and business, CFA level 2, IB internship, hedge fund internship, president of investment club.

The rest of us are just ****ed.
Actually what is more frustrating is, that i landed a couple of jobs during the 7 months that i have been searching for a proper bank job(and still searching).

And in these 2 jobs there are MANY foreigners, to give you a figure, the first company (I am not going to name it) has more than 60% foreigners, the 2nd company has about 20% foreigners. So the question came to me, "why are there so many foreigners having perm jobs here, when so many of my uni friends and I are out of jobs?" And the salary they pay is only 2k. I had to just take it because i have been out of job for too long.

About the low 2k for a uni grad like me, Another question came to my head "Are the foreigners depressing the salary?" hey it is already 2012/2013, where got uni grad get 2k?? it is so pathetic.

Old 31-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Actually what is more frustrating is, that i landed a couple of jobs during the 7 months that i have been searching for a proper bank job(and still searching).

And in these 2 jobs there are MANY foreigners, to give you a figure, the first company (I am not going to name it) has more than 60% foreigners, the 2nd company has about 20% foreigners. So the question came to me, "why are there so many foreigners having perm jobs here, when so many of my uni friends and I are out of jobs?" And the salary they pay is only 2k. I had to just take it because i have been out of job for too long.

About the low 2k for a uni grad like me, Another question came to my head "Are the foreigners depressing the salary?" hey it is already 2012/2013, where got uni grad get 2k?? it is so pathetic.
Unemployment rate is at record low now. I'm quite sure you jobless folks are extremely picky in your job search. Not the FTs' fault.
Old 31-01-2013, 10:22 PM

cslee is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Issues not with FT. The problem is too many young/old S'poreans with general degrees chasing after the same downtown office and bank jobs. No wonder wages can be pressed down and still with long queue outside the door.

Try asking any accounting/engineering/dentistry grads if they've problems finding (provided they're still in same fields), even with many FTs among them.
Old 31-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslee View Post
Issues not with FT. The problem is too many young/old S'poreans with general degrees chasing after the same downtown office and bank jobs. No wonder wages can be pressed down and still with long queue outside the door.

Try asking any accounting/engineering/dentistry grads if they've problems finding (provided they're still in same fields), even with many FTs among them.
There is also not alot of bank ops job left, because those lower skill bank ops work is moving oversea for the cheaper labor.
While the front line service job not many can stay long, very high turnover rate, young ppl just join to test out.

middle office job is highly competitive, many want to get in also.

Old 31-01-2013, 11:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Unemployment rate is at record low now. I'm quite sure you jobless folks are extremely picky in your job search. Not the FTs' fault.
Unemployment rate can only tell you who dun have job.

All the uni grad go work in McDonalds because they desperate also considered employed.

Oh sorry, McDonalds got a lot of FTs liao thank you very much.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Unregistered

grad from sim uol b&f last yr. 2nd lower. gt a contract job at a foreign bank through an agency,wholesale banking back office position. Was earning 2.5k. Prior to the end of the contract term they offered me a perm role at 3k
Old 14-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Unregistered

I'm a grad from Econs & Mgt (2nd lower), and I'm doing my CFA right now, and I can tell you it really doesn't matter what shyt degree we all come from when it comes to finding a job, it's really about the corporate experience and the way you present yourself that matters.

I graduated in 2011, paid around 2.8k-3.5k for 2 semi-government firms I've worked in. Now I'm with the government (like finally!) working in a senior position. I did internships previously in 1 government ministeries and 2 stat boards. My expertise is in treasury and accounting/finance. (If you're wondering why I still got the internships, it's really about which modules you hit grade A in your curriculum, for me I had A's for econometrics and 2 finance-related subjects + please don't screw up your resume and cover letter)

As a senior, my advice to the juniors (if you're from year 1 and 2), please start getting an internship already! Don't wait until you grad to begin your search. It will be too late by then because your counterparts in SMU/NUS/NTU will be killing you off straight up during interview periods. If you do not have the right luck yet, don't fret contract positions in the field that you want. One of the semi-govt firms I worked for gave me a contract role and I accepted it because of the job scope and pay. (Accounting jobs pay you based on your degree when you're a fresh grade, and your rank/salary increases as you proceed on, unlike investment bankers who have no cap in their pay, accountants and corporate finance professionals do have a salary range cap)
Old 18-02-2013, 01:31 AM

Alex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm a grad from Econs & Mgt (2nd lower), and I'm doing my CFA right now, and I can tell you it really doesn't matter what shyt degree we all come from when it comes to finding a job, it's really about the corporate experience and the way you present yourself that matters.

I graduated in 2011, paid around 2.8k-3.5k for 2 semi-government firms I've worked in. Now I'm with the government (like finally!) working in a senior position. I did internships previously in 1 government ministeries and 2 stat boards. My expertise is in treasury and accounting/finance. (If you're wondering why I still got the internships, it's really about which modules you hit grade A in your curriculum, for me I had A's for econometrics and 2 finance-related subjects + please don't screw up your resume and cover letter)

As a senior, my advice to the juniors (if you're from year 1 and 2), please start getting an internship already! Don't wait until you grad to begin your search. It will be too late by then because your counterparts in SMU/NUS/NTU will be killing you off straight up during interview periods. If you do not have the right luck yet, don't fret contract positions in the field that you want. One of the semi-govt firms I worked for gave me a contract role and I accepted it because of the job scope and pay. (Accounting jobs pay you based on your degree when you're a fresh grade, and your rank/salary increases as you proceed on, unlike investment bankers who have no cap in their pay, accountants and corporate finance professionals do have a salary range cap)
Hey, thanks for your sharing. I am a final year student taking Bsc Economics.

I am interested to work in the Public Sector, including EDB, MAS, Spring Singapore, IE Singapore, CPF Board, Ministry of Finance/Foreign Affairs/Defence.

Therefore I just want to clarify: Are specific modules critical for securing a permanent hire in any of the above Statutory Boards?

My further modules include: Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Elements of Econometrics, Managerial Economics, Industrial Economics, Monetary Economics, Corporate Finance and Management Science Methods.

In addition, most of my peers advice me to pursue the private sector but I am interested in policy and planning. Therefore, will there be certain departments that are "off limits" (be it official or unofficial) to private degree graduates?

Thank you very much for your patience.