Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay

Old 18-07-2015, 10:59 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi there, my family financial situation is relatively stable, they have set aside funds for futhering my stdies but I already view myself as a mature adult so I feel bad burdening my parents with this responsibility.

Have strong interests in the aerospace industry, but I don't really see myself as an LAE or to be or an a.craft technician. Other non-technical positions comes largely from CAAS and CAG and it's no secret they value scholars and local uni grads much much more. So that explains why I feel very lost now at this juncture.

I personally feel that working full-time while studying at night is a very viable option and it's also important to find a job that tallies with the degree that I will choose to study, otherwise it will come to naught.
If you are interested to work in CAAS or CAG then I suggest you just apply and see if they are interested in giving you a job first before taking up any study commitments.

Honestly I think your chances are very slim as they most likely are not interested in a 25 year old diploma fresh grad to do entry level non-exec generic jobs. And I strongly doubt buying a part time degree will help you in these 2 places either.

Bottom line is try to find a job, get to know the industry & real situation before doing something rash like studying again. Your main challenge is too old for fresh diploma, so you need to actually try to get yourself into the workforce first and see what are your options. You might find in the end you need to start off from some SME first and career path will be very different also.

Old 18-07-2015, 12:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
If you are interested to work in CAAS or CAG then I suggest you just apply and see if they are interested in giving you a job first before taking up any study commitments.

Honestly I think your chances are very slim as they most likely are not interested in a 25 year old diploma fresh grad to do entry level non-exec generic jobs. And I strongly doubt buying a part time degree will help you in these 2 places either.

Bottom line is try to find a job, get to know the industry & real situation before doing something rash like studying again. Your main challenge is too old for fresh diploma, so you need to actually try to get yourself into the workforce first and see what are your options. You might find in the end you need to start off from some SME first and career path will be very different also.
Currently, have went through the tests to be an ATCO and seems like they're going to make me an offer. If accepted, I think the diploma will suffice for sure.

There're numerous companies on jobstreets that offer education as their staff benefits and I wonder what that might be? Please enlighten me.

Yes, potentially I don't see myself in the aviation industry because I argee with the points that you brought up so looking to branch out my options. My concern is also with an engineering dip, it's hard for me to join other sectors as most job requistes demand diplomas with similar industrial background.

I think my strengths lie in communication so I'm also looking at PR/Advertising/Marketing. That being said, that would come a time I would move up the ladders and I'm very concerned that the diploma would serve as a limiting mechanism.

Is it very normal for diploma holders to work on a FT basis for a 3-4 years before going for 'upgrade'?

Old 18-07-2015, 02:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Currently, have went through the tests to be an ATCO and seems like they're going to make me an offer. If accepted, I think the diploma will suffice for sure.

There're numerous companies on jobstreets that offer education as their staff benefits and I wonder what that might be? Please enlighten me.

Yes, potentially I don't see myself in the aviation industry because I argee with the points that you brought up so looking to branch out my options. My concern is also with an engineering dip, it's hard for me to join other sectors as most job requistes demand diplomas with similar industrial background.

I think my strengths lie in communication so I'm also looking at PR/Advertising/Marketing. That being said, that would come a time I would move up the ladders and I'm very concerned that the diploma would serve as a limiting mechanism.

Is it very normal for diploma holders to work on a FT basis for a 3-4 years before going for 'upgrade'?
I don't think you should be considering things like whether company will sponsor studies. Companies usually only sponsor studies either because you are a key talent or specific education for a specific job you are doing. I don't think there are many pte companies out there who will sponsor staff to do generic pt deg from UOL which doesnt serve any purpose.

Those that anyhow sponsor will require you to sign a multi year bond, so in that sense it is more like a binding arrangement then sponsorship. For your case since you are already behind others, unless it is really a good company with a good job you ideally want, you cannot afford to waste another 4-5 years on a binding contract with something that you don't really like.

There is nothing wrong with working a while to find out where your passions and career truly lie before starting to study again. Don't just rush into studying without any specific goal, pt deg from UOL is percieved as just slightly better than diploma, it will not give you this massive boost in career, so it is ok to wait a while and figure out what you truly want to do first. Who knows maybe your chosen path in the end don't even need to buy a generic biz degree.

Old 18-07-2015, 06:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
honestly, you don't need a degree for this field. I'll advise you to get some experience in PR/Advertising/Marketing and not waste time in other industries that you're not interested in. you can probably try out an internship in this field to get a feel if it is really your strengths.

try searching on
://*************/
or you can try this facebook group
s://.facebook.com/groups/119326031532307/

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 18-07-2015, 10:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
honestly, you don't need a degree for this field. I'll advise you to get some experience in PR/Advertising/Marketing and not waste time in other industries that you're not interested in. you can probably try out an internship in this field to get a feel if it is really your strengths.

try searching on
://*************/
or you can try this facebook group
s://.facebook.com/groups/119326031532307/
Quote:
I don't think you should be considering things like whether company will sponsor studies. Companies usually only sponsor studies either because you are a key talent or specific education for a specific job you are doing. I don't think there are many pte companies out there who will sponsor staff to do generic pt deg from UOL which doesnt serve any purpose.

Those that anyhow sponsor will require you to sign a multi year bond, so in that sense it is more like a binding arrangement then sponsorship. For your case since you are already behind others, unless it is really a good company with a good job you ideally want, you cannot afford to waste another 4-5 years on a binding contract with something that you don't really like.

There is nothing wrong with working a while to find out where your passions and career truly lie before starting to study again. Don't just rush into studying without any specific goal, pt deg from UOL is percieved as just slightly better than diploma, it will not give you this massive boost in career, so it is ok to wait a while and figure out what you truly want to do first. Who knows maybe your chosen path in the end don't even need to buy a generic biz degree.
Hi, I appreciate all the advice given so far. First would like to state that I definitely don't see myself being in engineering. Will spend the next few days speaking with friends in sectors that I have interest in.

Went down to UniSIM and SIM GE to speak with some friends and the staff today, was abit relived to find out that the average age group hovers between 25-28 for part time courses so that was a bit reassuring for me.

As an executive or entry level Diploma, A levels or even O levels will suffice but they'll come a time eventually when a degree matters. Especially as a Marketing manager/PR manager etc.
Old 18-07-2015, 11:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi, I appreciate all the advice given so far. First would like to state that I definitely don't see myself being in engineering. Will spend the next few days speaking with friends in sectors that I have interest in.

Went down to UniSIM and SIM GE to speak with some friends and the staff today, was abit relived to find out that the average age group hovers between 25-28 for part time courses so that was a bit reassuring for me.

As an executive or entry level Diploma, A levels or even O levels will suffice but they'll come a time eventually when a degree matters. Especially as a Marketing manager/PR manager etc.
But a pt SIM degree isn't a real degree in the eyes of most employers. And I dont think getting a pt cert is really helpful to be a PR manager. Where did u get the idea u need a pt cert to be a PR manager? I would think establishing your credentials in the profession and knowing the right people in the correct area is more important.

I advise u go ask real professionals in the industry you want to work for proper opinion. You go ask SIM or friends who already studying the cert of course they will say its useful and expected. Although your parents already save up for you to study for the cert, you are already quite old and I would be more careful to spending my parents money like that when others at the same age are already contributing to household.

I'm not saying there is no value to study for pt degree, but you seem to have already made up your mind to study further and just looking at very surface stuff like average age in SIM, normal to study while working etc. Every career path and personal circumstance is different, cannot just blindly follow what others are doing. What works for them might not work for you.

Ask yourself if it's your own savings for a few years that you need to sacrifice or you are the one who needs to take up a study loan, will you be so hasty to sign up for general biz courses without even having any work exp or finding out what the industry is like yet?

Old 19-07-2015, 12:04 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
But a pt SIM degree isn't a real degree in the eyes of most employers. And I dont think getting a pt cert is really helpful to be a PR manager. Where did u get the idea u need a pt cert to be a PR manager? I would think establishing your credentials in the profession and knowing the right people in the correct area is more important.

I advise u go ask real professionals in the industry you want to work for proper opinion. You go ask SIM or friends who already studying the cert of course they will say its useful and expected. Although your parents already save up for you to study for the cert, you are already quite old and I would be more careful to spending my parents money like that when others at the same age are already contributing to household.

I'm not saying there is no value to study for pt degree, but you seem to have already made up your mind to study further and just looking at very surface stuff like average age in SIM, normal to study while working etc. Every career path and personal circumstance is different, cannot just blindly follow what others are doing. What works for them might not work for you.

Ask yourself if it's your own savings for a few years that you need to sacrifice or you are the one who needs to take up a study loan, will you be so hasty to sign up for general biz courses without even having any work exp or finding out what the industry is like yet?
Yes, it's about knowing people, doing good work and being recognised for your efforts but didn't bring up that point because I believe it's self explanatory to everyone. On my part I would want to upgrade myself, learn more skills and also from the academia pespect prepare myself more.

I understand that UniSIM is fully recognised by the govt now and it's the 6th local university. Have yet to hear about the reception of UniSIM from employers since the first batch of students have not graduated as of yet.

It's also not to say that I've only heard all positive feedback from my friends.

I've already made appointments with friends who are in the industry to gain insights and these are real people in the industry with many years working experience.

Even though a degree from NUS/NTU is more prestigeous, I think SIM GE graduants also deserve respect as human beings. It still takes effort to get achieve a private degree.
Old 19-07-2015, 08:46 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes, it's about knowing people, doing good work and being recognised for your efforts but didn't bring up that point because I believe it's self explanatory to everyone. On my part I would want to upgrade myself, learn more skills and also from the academia pespect prepare myself more.

I understand that UniSIM is fully recognised by the govt now and it's the 6th local university. Have yet to hear about the reception of UniSIM from employers since the first batch of students have not graduated as of yet.

It's also not to say that I've only heard all positive feedback from my friends.

I've already made appointments with friends who are in the industry to gain insights and these are real people in the industry with many years working experience.

Even though a degree from NUS/NTU is more prestigeous, I think SIM GE graduants also deserve respect as human beings. It still takes effort to get achieve a private degree.
Certainly, SIM grads does deserve respect. Afterall, they did their effort in spending their time in getting the degree. Deserve respect as human being? This is too far fetch from this topic. Everyone is being respected as a human being which is why certain level of discrimination takes place.

However, the world is harsh out there. Even NUS/NTU grads (some of them) are facing problems looking for jobs and also the need to balance out the different kind of job. Having a degree opens opportunity to management level (and is not confirm plus chop) but not all grads are able to jump to management level straight away (even NUS/NTU which you say it is prestigious university)

As a "human being" (since you use this description) are in a rat race, so if an employer just compared based on qualification between NUS/NTU/SMU/SIM/SIT, you think who will the employer choose? Of course, I am not saying that which uni sucks but we got to face it, we are being compared with other applicants as well. Life sucks, but what to do since you didnt achieve or didnt grab the opportunity to go into "prestigious" (as describe by you) university.

Of course many people will say SIM also got smart people and etc (I truly agree) but the world is harsh, they will look at the qualification then your interview skill + attitude then your actual working performance.

In addition, we have too many degree holder in Singapore because of the outbreak in university in Singapore and easily access by anyone unlike the past where only the top are able to get into university. With a degree, people expect to work at the management level. If you look at it in another perspective, with too many people looking for management job, who will be doing the technical job? (Foreign worker yes, but not enough so foreign talent are invited).

So do you think foreign talent are satisfied with technical job? No, they also want to move up to management role. The competition get tougher because many Singaporean degree holder are looking at management role or good paying role which cause this kind of discrimination taking place. This is the reason why the previous commenter says that employer wont see the pt degree as an actual degree.

Applying for public sector, you will face even harsh competition because local uni grad will be eyeing for those position as well. You already receive enough comment from the people here.

So the first thing is to plan your own road map. Certainly I am not saying that it is impossible but will be very very tough. Also, since you want to jump into new sector, get to know what they do first before saying you are passion in this industry. because the interview question will ask you the same thing and you cannot possibly say that I am interested in this industry. So what interest you? do you know what you will be doing? How are you so sure that you wont regret your decision? Unless you have a strong case for yourself, are you sure this is your future? (this is a question for yourself as well, not just interview question)

I also face the same issue in terms of find the focus area that I want to focus on. (but not as in jumping into another sector, just confirming my focus area for my future career path)

So you really need to ask yourself that before making the decision of taking the degree with no stable confirmation that you will get into the industry you want. A degree is not a ticket to get a job but just a ticket to get an interview (do note that!)
Old 19-07-2015, 09:08 AM
Unregistered

This is good advice the above poly guy should read.

So far from your answers it very obvious you have no experience in the working world, it is better for you to work and gain some experience on how the world works out there before making rash decisions.

You are still seeing things in a very idealistic way, we are often face with personal preference and market realities. 95% of the people out there are force to accept market reality because at the end of the day money counts. It is not about lofty concept of "respect as a human being" (whatever that means). Things are not so easy after leaving school.

Quote:
Certainly, SIM grads does deserve respect. Afterall, they did their effort in spending their time in getting the degree. Deserve respect as human being? This is too far fetch from this topic. Everyone is being respected as a human being which is why certain level of discrimination takes place.

However, the world is harsh out there. Even NUS/NTU grads (some of them) are facing problems looking for jobs and also the need to balance out the different kind of job. Having a degree opens opportunity to management level (and is not confirm plus chop) but not all grads are able to jump to management level straight away (even NUS/NTU which you say it is prestigious university)

As a "human being" (since you use this description) are in a rat race, so if an employer just compared based on qualification between NUS/NTU/SMU/SIM/SIT, you think who will the employer choose? Of course, I am not saying that which uni sucks but we got to face it, we are being compared with other applicants as well. Life sucks, but what to do since you didnt achieve or didnt grab the opportunity to go into "prestigious" (as describe by you) university.

Of course many people will say SIM also got smart people and etc (I truly agree) but the world is harsh, they will look at the qualification then your interview skill + attitude then your actual working performance.

In addition, we have too many degree holder in Singapore because of the outbreak in university in Singapore and easily access by anyone unlike the past where only the top are able to get into university. With a degree, people expect to work at the management level. If you look at it in another perspective, with too many people looking for management job, who will be doing the technical job? (Foreign worker yes, but not enough so foreign talent are invited).

So do you think foreign talent are satisfied with technical job? No, they also want to move up to management role. The competition get tougher because many Singaporean degree holder are looking at management role or good paying role which cause this kind of discrimination taking place. This is the reason why the previous commenter says that employer wont see the pt degree as an actual degree.

Applying for public sector, you will face even harsh competition because local uni grad will be eyeing for those position as well. You already receive enough comment from the people here.

So the first thing is to plan your own road map. Certainly I am not saying that it is impossible but will be very very tough. Also, since you want to jump into new sector, get to know what they do first before saying you are passion in this industry. because the interview question will ask you the same thing and you cannot possibly say that I am interested in this industry. So what interest you? do you know what you will be doing? How are you so sure that you wont regret your decision? Unless you have a strong case for yourself, are you sure this is your future? (this is a question for yourself as well, not just interview question)

I also face the same issue in terms of find the focus area that I want to focus on. (but not as in jumping into another sector, just confirming my focus area for my future career path)

So you really need to ask yourself that before making the decision of taking the degree with no stable confirmation that you will get into the industry you want. A degree is not a ticket to get a job but just a ticket to get an interview (do note that!)
Old 19-07-2015, 09:39 AM
Unregistered

I wonder how many of the comments made here are from people in the PR/Advertising/Marketing industry? A lot of things which apply elsewhere don't apply in this industry.