Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1491-sim-uol-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 09-11-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 17862)
hi people

just wanna check pay range for uol students....

is 2.5k acceptable for a fresh grad uol ....in an mnc....working along the lines of office backend executive support role.....?

anyone can kindly advise...

What industry are you in? banking? Shipping? manufacturing?

Unregistered 09-11-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 16972)
Since mid Aug till now.. I guess a fresh grad like me w/o any exp has difficulty finding a job in banking/financial industry.. Maybe I shld start off by doing contract/temp work in bank to gain hands on exp.. Afterall, work exp matters the most! ):

I got a friend who grad last year from UOL. That's right. Last August. He was scouting for a job for nearly a year when he finally settled at a non-profit organisation with merger pay.

He was not asking for very high pay whilst looking around, but I guess he didn't have the opportunity to have other offers then. He was full of passion and hope just before graduating from UOL and wanted to do this, do that.... Reality crashed in and finding a good job with good pay is not a walk in the park.

But I hate to imagine 1 yr without any income coming in. Supposedly he still has study loan or paternal repayment to consider.

Must be tough.

Unregistered 09-11-2011 10:16 AM

If you are looking for a financial svcs job, my advise is to heck care the starting pay and get in first. Why? Once you are in, your UOL cert does not matter but rather your job performance.

From first hand experience, what you learn in sch has little applicability to your job. You start afresh and alot things you learn anew. These are simple things.. routine work. Just need to be willing to learn.

Get in first. Your pay and prospects will be much better in the future. Why care about a few hundred dollars starting pay difference?

Now industry is going down hill. Remember back in 2008-2009 the government had to sponsor a jobs scheme? Because banks don't hire at all.

When I grad in 2007, there were so many banking jobs. 3k plus salary was normal. *my starting pay was 4.2k* I had time to choose from various offers and hiam this hiam that

In 2009, alot of SMU NTU NUS students grad without jobs. Government had to sponsor. My bank hired (under the MAS scheme) first class/ 2nd upper grads at 3k, those lower than 2nd upper at 2k. AND still so many people queuing up to join.

First class honors, double degree SMU joined my team at 3k flat per month. Contract still say it is a 2 year temp position, no BONUS.

In short, get a job fast before the crisis comes again

poorman 09-11-2011 10:35 AM

I say 2.5k is already a good starting pay already.

I think alot of UOL grads are neglecting the reality of the working world where Hiring managers are faced with 2 scenarios to bear in mind when hiring.

Restricted Budget

In view of the current poor conditions of the market, firms will be cutting down on hiring and definitely cannot afford to pay as much as the golden years (pre-2008).

Over-Supply of Graduates

These days, throw a stone and you'll find a degree holder. yes, questionable in terms of the integrity of the conferring university but nonetheless, still a degree.

There is an insane amount of graduates out there plus the foreign workers who compete as well.

I agree with the above poster. Stop being picky and enter the industry first, afterwards it's how you perform.

Unregistered 09-11-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 17869)
What industry are you in? banking? Shipping? manufacturing?

mmm its in fact corporate services provider.....so classified under what industry ya? financial/service?

Unregistered 09-11-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poorman (Post 17878)
I say 2.5k is already a good starting pay already.

I think alot of UOL grads are neglecting the reality of the working world where Hiring managers are faced with 2 scenarios to bear in mind when hiring.

Restricted Budget

In view of the current poor conditions of the market, firms will be cutting down on hiring and definitely cannot afford to pay as much as the golden years (pre-2008).

Over-Supply of Graduates

These days, throw a stone and you'll find a degree holder. yes, questionable in terms of the integrity of the conferring university but nonetheless, still a degree.

There is an insane amount of graduates out there plus the foreign workers who compete as well.

I agree with the above poster. Stop being picky and enter the industry first, afterwards it's how you perform.

thanks for your input...i guess i was hired perhaps one reason they accept fresh grad, and i did have some experience.......

and i second-ed ur view on foreign workers, local grads and foreigns with degrees are everywhere,i went for interviews and saw a good number of them applying for the same job. till the hiring mgr comment that they have degree but asking for so much lower, now it seems like its not who can do the job, but who is more affordable sigh.

nah im not being picky, just asking around for views since im not too sure about this industry (i dont know what industry they should be classified under) and the pay range like...
im just going for something acceptable , not hiam cos economy gg get worse, and hope that im able to perform...

Unregistered 09-11-2011 11:25 AM

Regarding foreign talent.. not as bad as you think. Most hiring managers of the bigger MNCs / Banks are given head count to hire and pay range as per dictated by HR.

To the hiring manager, they dont really care about what pay they offer you, as long as it is within the HR approved payscale. They have a slot to fill up and what affects most is that they hire the right person. More often, its is a matter of likeability and ability to learn. At junior role, everyone expects the need to teach the new hire.

Put yourself in the shoes of a hiring manager given a headcount and a budget. If I was the manager, I won't care much of the budget (since it doesnt affect me how much I pay the new hire), infact I will pay at the top of the budget to make sure I get enough "choices" to select the best candidate. So the foreigner willing to accept lower pay than SG may not necessarily get the job.

Speaking from first hand experience since now my boss task me to hire fresh grads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 17881)
thanks for your input...i guess i was hired perhaps one reason they accept fresh grad, and i did have some experience.......

and i second-ed ur view on foreign workers, local grads and foreigns with degrees are everywhere,i went for interviews and saw a good number of them applying for the same job. till the hiring mgr comment that they have degree but asking for so much lower, now it seems like its not who can do the job, but who is more affordable sigh.

nah im not being picky, just asking around for views since im not too sure about this industry (i dont know what industry they should be classified under) and the pay range like...
im just going for something acceptable , not hiam cos economy gg get worse, and hope that im able to perform...

Unregistered 09-11-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 17883)
Regarding foreign talent.. not as bad as you think. Most hiring managers of the bigger MNCs / Banks are given head count to hire and pay range as per dictated by HR.

To the hiring manager, they dont really care about what pay they offer you, as long as it is within the HR approved payscale. They have a slot to fill up and what affects most is that they hire the right person. More often, its is a matter of likeability and ability to learn. At junior role, everyone expects the need to teach the new hire.

Put yourself in the shoes of a hiring manager given a headcount and a budget. If I was the manager, I won't care much of the budget (since it doesnt affect me how much I pay the new hire), infact I will pay at the top of the budget to make sure I get enough "choices" to select the best candidate. So the foreigner willing to accept lower pay than SG may not necessarily get the job.

Speaking from first hand experience since now my boss task me to hire fresh grads.

thanks ya very heartening to hear tt.....i kinda like this statement u made

'infact I will pay at the top of the budget to make sure I get enough "choices" to select the best candidate. So the foreigner willing to accept lower pay than SG may not necessarily get the job.'

so usually the hiring managers got pay range dictated by HR ya? and they have to work with it? but ultimately who decides what pay to offer to the candidate then? the HR?the hiring manager?

Unregistered 09-11-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 17883)

Actually, from a longstanding point of view, I really don't understand why people are commenting foreign talents are competing with local grads, espeically when most HR managers are not allowed to hire too much foreign ones.

In fact, local grads are so much protected.

I've been hearing too much complaints, and mostly unduly ones that their rice bowls are taken away from foreigners, etc. Where got such thing?

Your statement reinforces my thought.

Unregistered 09-11-2011 01:29 PM

For entry level , Business hires and HR offers
Contract. Your pay is the grad payscale which is fixed. Not much room for nego. Just a tip, never trust HR. Alot of pp will tell I that and it is true

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 17885)
thanks ya very heartening to hear tt.....i kinda like this statement u made

'infact I will pay at the top of the budget to make sure I get enough "choices" to select the best candidate. So the foreigner willing to accept lower pay than SG may not necessarily get the job.'

so usually the hiring managers got pay range dictated by HR ya? and they have to work with it? but ultimately who decides what pay to offer to the candidate then? the HR?the hiring manager?